What is the 'worst' suburb in your city?

both are bad suburbs... footscray and frankston.

15 years ago - they were saying same thing restaurants, etc but nothing really changed in frankston till today.

A lot of people talk about Footscray because of its inner city location , I just can't see it. Drove down the main street the other weekend and I thought I was in another world. It was the dirtiest (rubbish evrywhere) street I have seen in Australia which gives you a clue to how the residents think

Maybe being from bayside I have no culture ?

In anyone's language Footscray CBD is a slum but go a few streets and you'll find pockets with restored workers cottages (which aren't cheap).

Ditto for somewhere like Glenhuntly Rd, Glenhuntly. Compared to Footscray it has less stink and litter but has been lost to graffiti vandals because shopkeepers neglect their buildings. But go a few streets and you have tree-lined streets and $600 - 800k or so houses. So it's not just a 'west' thing.

In both cases the sloppiness of shopkeepers and/or commercial property owners does not prevent high house prices just a few streets back from the 'ghetto'.

All it needs is a few people with some balls to replace those discount shops on nepean and put in a few restaurants , cafes and the like. Would change the outlook of the joint to those driving through

If you're concerned about 'image' discount shops are the least of Franga's problems.

There's the big gun shop on the hill, overlooking everything. A bit down from there is the bikie shop. There's the wonderful Savers store over the roundabout and across the road (the only 2 storey op-shop in Melbourne big enough for an escalator). It's not far to duck down for browse the hock shops while waiting for Centrelink.

These businesses longevity is a testement to Franga's success at catering for gun and bikie people. Plus the bored youth, whether from the tough north or the genteel Eliza. Just like Chadstone is the 'fashion capital' or Smith St is 'alternative', Frankston has its own 'underbelly' character. What people 'driving through' think makes no difference.

For better or worse, Franga is what it is and I can't imagine the centre changing soon, despite the spin from the too-numerous estate agents. Empty retail sits on high profile corners unoccupied for years in these parts (eg the old Dick Smith). But, as noted above with Glenhuntly and Footscray, it is still possible for a decaying slum to be surrounded by fine homes.

glenhuntly is a different suburb altogether. stayed there before. it is close to monash university and is next door to caulfield.
it's near to chadstone and it's very different to footscray.

ideo, please pass this news flash onto the wealthy residents on the central coast and of course lawsy..

do you think they realised they were buying in a shitty area when they drove through umina to get to killcare?

I drive through Airds on my way from Canberra to Mosman. This doesn't make Sydney a bad area ;)

Glib assumptions are generally pretty flawed. There are some trouble areas on the Central Coast. No doubts about it. There are also some very nice areas.

While I dont necessarily agree these days, I remember clearly a quote from a few years ago

Mount Druitt - The only mount in Australia that is actually a hole

:)

I'm currently looking for a rental to live in and thought I'd sneak across the highway to scary Merrylands to see what's around. It is an absolute building boom at present. In the few streets I drove through, McMansions were being built, as were duplexes and multi-unit developments. the house I inspected to rent was actually earmarked for knockdown in the next 6-12 months as it just received a DA for villas.

While the majority (ok probably all) of the folk building are of one nationality, there appears to be boomtimes ahead in that suburb. Whether the other 95% of the population would venture into that suburb is doubtful but if you develop for your target market then you could make yourself some good dollars. The area is clearly gentrifying in terms of better housing but in terms of a suburb providing for the masses I'd have to say no on this.

Worst city of Darwin would be Karama in the Nortgern burbs and Moulden in Palmerston

im from frankston i don't know what the problem is. if you want bad go to maningrida, NT where im living, then you'll know what bad really is!!!!!!!!!!! then you'll go yep neeko is right!

We have it pretty good in Canberra - there aren't really any dangerous/dodgy suburbs.

Richardson and Charnwood cop a bad wrap - and they're not that bad at all. Especially compared to some of the other suburbs from different states listed in this thread.

Cheers

Jamie

Woodridge has the best 'reputation' in Brisbane.
I Agree Only Because We Feel We Need To Bag It Because We Didnt Forsee The Massive Capital Growth It Has Had In The Last 20 Yrs And We Werent Part Of The Action Houses Then Were 50k Solid Cavity Brick Ex Housing Commission Rail Then Crap Shops. Similar To Inala Darra Oxley Even Bulimba Spring Hill Were Consided On The Nose In The 80s,, The Only Growth In Carole Park Are The Number Of Parted Restored leaded V8 Supercars .?? With Panels Unmatching In Colour Being Supported On Drums Bricks And Timbers Stolen From l8fal Building Sites No One Even Acknowledges Carole Who? Least We Admit To The Existace Of The 'Other World' Which Is Only Mentioned To Others In Quiet Whispers Just My View Thx

I Agree Only Because We Feel We Need To Bag It Because We Didnt Forsee The Massive Capital Growth It Has Had In The Last 20 Yrs And We Werent Part Of The Action Houses Then Were 50k Solid Cavity Brick Ex Housing Commission Rail Then Crap Shops. Similar To Inala Darra Oxley Even Bulimba Spring Hill Were Consided On The Nose In The 80s,, The Only Growth In Carole Park Are The Number Of Parted Restored leaded V8 Supercars .?? With Panels Unmatching In Colour Being Supported On Drums Bricks And Timbers Stolen From l8fal Building Sites No One Even Acknowledges Carole Who? Least We Admit To The Existace Of The 'Other World' Which Is Only Mentioned To Others In Quiet Whispers Just My View Thx

Sorry but the constant CAPITALS hurt....

Sorry but the constant CAPITALS hurt....

Just the capitals? I had a go at tidying it up for you.

I agree. Only because we feel we need to bag it because we didnt forsee the massive capital growth it has had in the last 20 yrs, and we werent part of the action: houses then were 50k, solid cavity brick, ex housing commission. Rail then crap shops.

Similar to Inala, Darra, Oxley, even Bulimba Spring Hill were consided on the nose in the 80s.

The only growth in Carole Park are the number of partly-restored, leaded, v8 supercars (??) with panels - unmatching in colour, being supported on drums, bricks, and timbers stolen from l8fal building sites.

No one even acknowledges, "Carole who?"

At least we admit to the existence of the 'other world' which is only mentioned to others in quiet whispers.

Just my view thx

Back