What is this mould caused by? see photo

I went to an inspection today. I noticed mould on the walls and ceilings.
The roof is not original on this post-war home so perhaps the old roof leaked?
The mould was only in south-facing rooms.
Does mould occur in those areas from internal damp only, i.e. condensation in winter - that happens in NZ - or is it always from water/dampness coming from externally.
There is a log burner in that room.
Any ideas?
There should be a photo attached.
Of course I would get a building inspection before buying but I was interested to see if anyone had any expertise as I only want to pay for a building inspection on a property I am sure about proceeding with.
Thanks
Jesse Taylor

Attachments

• IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 180
moisture, and probably alot of moisture, suspect leak, normal internal condensation doesn't do this, although i can't see much in the image, suspect leak in roof, check the roof space

is that chinese people house ? if it is, they used to burn incense inside the house, and caused all of those black mouldy stuff.

Actually there are malaysian-chinese tenants in there.
But I am not sure how burning incense would cause mould. I can understand it causing smoke stains but these areas were definitely mould.

did you see those red wooden, with chinese writing on it ? if it is, then it is 100% incense burn. and it is causing the mould on the wall, that can be wiped off, but might have to paint it again to make it look good

Normal climate!

Here in FNQ we have the wet season from Dec to April each year. The prevailing winds (and so storms) are normally from the SE. So every year at the end of the wet season, we wipe down our walls and sometimes the ceilings, with bleach diluted with lots of water.

Tis a normal climatic occurrance, and one us locals have had to endure for like ... ever!

I also have to take out all my shoes, belts and leather goods (despite how well they are stored), and clean the mold off them at the end of "the wet". I use hand lotion for this...just makes good sense to me.:D

Back