What is this nest?

I noticed this nest on my window the other day (please see pic). The hole you can see is slightly narrower than a pencil.

Any idea what kind of nest it is? Or if it's even a nest at all?

Cheers
Jonathon

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 140
Probably some kind of wasp. If you really don't want it there, just scrape it off with something like a paint scraper or a trowel.

No it doesn't bother me, as long as it's not something that's going to rot or eat through my windows then it's kinda interesting.

Spray it heavily with insect spray, leave a few days then hose off with strong stream of water.

If you leave it there it will only do damage to the surface, with houses the less bugs the better IMO

It's a mud wasp nest. Pretty harmless. If you knock it down you will see each pod is filled wth spiders for he wasp to feed on. Very common in Brisbane. You get them everywhere.

The mud wasps are going crazy under our house at the moment- we are doing landscaping and there is an endless supply of delicious mud for them to make their nests with :) Apparently they sting but I nearly run into them many times per day and they have never been aggressive. You can knock the nests off and throw them out or wait for them to hatch (they are out once the nest is open) and then remove them from your wall.

Yeah mud wasps, no problems. They particularly like to hang around where the gas meter is, something in the smell attracts them.

The one to watch is those european wasps, they sting like hell.

Spray it heavily with insect spray, leave a few days then hose off with strong stream of water.

If you leave it there it will only do damage to the surface, with houses the less bugs the better IMO
Dont spray it.
Leave it there it is a harmless wasp, You shouldnt have problems with spiders and other bugs if you have wasps. When the other bugs are gone the wasps will be gone too.

I always get heaps of these mud wasps to, I wait till it is evening and hit them with a spray of water to knock them down. I know they are harmless but do not like it when they hatch and you have lots of them flying around

I have nothing against the wasps themselves, just those blasted nests.

They build in the exhaust of small engines. My split system aircon was vibrating till I hosed the mud out of the fan hub.

I also have a live and let live policy with paper wasps. As long as their nest isn't in a problem spot then it's OK. Must admit the scrub turkeys test my patience though and one must have bailed up the dog because she ignores them now.

Back