What is your ultimate goal?

I got it at Borders in Melbourne. You should be able to get it anywhere, just ask them to get it in for you. The publisher is Fireside, they also do Stephen Covey's books.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Originally posted by geoffw
Ruby,

I've just been reading an issue of WelathCreator magazine. Which I've just mentioned elsewhere (http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=625).

But the story on Gerry Harvey was interesting.

He's a billionaire- about number 10 on Australia's rich lsit.

But a "one day at a time" person, who has never written down goals.

For every "life" rule, there's always exceptions.

I subscribe to the Harvey school of thought, goals can be great but also restricting, maybe you can achieve more than your goals.

Not everyone needs to write their goals down, although for most people it is a good idea. If you have a really clear idea of where you are heading then you may not need to.

Personally, I like to write things down. Helps me to remember and I can go back and look at them. It promotes clarity for me and I just enjoy the process and sitting and writing my plans and wild dreams. It's fun.

Sharon

Hi Brains

I guess the best way to understand it is... think of a Life Coach as doing for your life what a Personal Trainer does for your body.

Your coach helps you to identify what's important, establish some goals that are really exciting to you and then help you achieve them. It's about having clarity and accountability.

Some people work with a coach long term to achieve big goals and some people work on shorter goals which can be achieve quickly. Basically it gives you someone to be accountable to, like a trainer when you don't want to get out of bed.

The sort of stuff people usually work on are physical (health, fitness, weight etc), personal (relationships, creativity, personal growth), career (changing jobs, climbing the ladder, finding the right career), business (starting one, growing one etc).

Hope that clears it up a bit.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Basically it gives you someone to be accountable to

Ive found that the ones who are most successful in life are the ones that hold themselves accountable. I would have thought that relying on someone else for extrinsic motivation would be counter-productive in the long run (what happens when your "coach" is unavailable?)

Just a thought,

Jamie. :p

Originally posted by JoannaK
I have never written down any goal, and to date, i have happily achieved everything i've ever wanted

JoannaK

You are obviously very happy with your lot which is fantastic.

Like writing anything of value, putting thoughts into written words really forces one to search the recesses of the mind.

How do you know you’ve achieved EVERYTHING …………………..?

Regards

Joe D

Originally posted by Joe D

JoannaK

You are obviously very happy with your lot which is fantastic.

Hi Joe,

I'm happy with my "lot", regardless of whether is it good or bad, easy or hard, simply because it is the result of my own doing.

Originally posted by Joe D

Like writing anything of value, putting thoughts into written words really forces one to search the recesses of the mind.

How do you know you’ve achieved EVERYTHING …………………..?

Regards

Joe D

I understand this to be the case for some, but I'm sure not everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I do set goals - i don't just go along my merry way and hope that something wonderful will fall into my lap. I'd go crazy if i did that.

I am constantly setting short, medium and long term goals. But for me personally, I become so passionate about my goals that I have found that there is simply no need for me to write them down. I talk with my hubby about my goals all the time, and he is the one that forces me to search my mind and crystalise my thoughts and formulate my strategies.

I didn't mean that i've achieved EVERYTHING POSSIBLY in the world.

I know i've acheived everything that i've wanted to achieve to date because I have, but that doesn't mean i'm satisfied or am going to stop. I have achieved everything thus far that i have set out to achieve - that's all. I'm still young, and I have plenty more to achieve yet!

Jamie

It's a very valid point. For some people it is a skill that needs to be learned. A good coach (in my opinion) helps a client to develop that skills rather than ensuring on-going reliance.

It is also worth noting that coaches are most often used by high achievers and often it is to provide them a check-in to help keep them on track or to help them look at things from many sides.

A coach is a completely neutral party who has no vested interest in the outcome (like say your spouse does). Being able to discuss and plan with someone whose viewpoint is not coloured by their own stake in the matter is very very valuable, particularly if uncomfortable decisions needs to be made. (An important side point here: A Coach does NOT make decisions for you. Only you can make them.)

However, after all that. You are right. The most successful people are those with intrinsic accountability. Even they need someone to talk to.

Back