what is your "why"?

I am at that time where I revisit *why* I want to invest. *Why* I want to be financially free. *Why* I am willing to put in all the time and effort into persuing this goal of financial freedom.

Mine basically comes down to that I do do not wish my finances to control me or my children. I have lots of specifics and consequences of that, but in essence that is where it boils down to.

So, what is your *why*?

Why? Because having to rely on pension scares the absolute **** out of me.

Plus it's extremely fun - finding and negotiating on deals, dealing with people from all walks of life, getting results, discussing ideas with those more experienced, helping those less experienced.

Why?

Time is the most precious and finite item that we all own, yet we trade it away for $x/hr. I think it's a very valuable thing to be able to spend your time doing what you want, as eventually you will run out of hours to sell and regret not being able to do the things you love.

Last edited:
I want to spend more time on things I find important

There are 24 hours a day, on weekdays 7 hours sleep, 8 hours work (a lot more that this for others), 1.5 hours on travel, 2-3 hours on chores, leave me with approx. 4 hours to spend time on things that are important if I'm really efficient.

So maximum 20% of my time, on what's supposed to be my priority - this ratio doesn't make sense and need to change, and I'm not going to wait 40 years for it to change.

My why comes from my background..

I was born poor, raised by single mother who earn around $35/month. Yep its not typo..
My mom strugle to fund any cents.. She even have to beg money from family so I can have a milk.

I still remember that day, we took a public transport and have to walk 4km to visit my aunty. Imagine if my aunt didnt lend her the money..
Since day dot, I promise my children dont have to experience that way

I wanted to free up my time to do community projects. Somewhere along the line I found myself doing even less community projects and trading my time for dollars.

Been having a major shift in that area this last year. Did LANDMARK which was pretty helpful in redefining my WHY. Highly recommend it as a self development course.

http://www.landmarkworldwide.com/

Met a guy last week, and have developed somewhat of a man-crush. He started his business at 27, retiring now at 35 with his wife. He was making $500k working 4 days a week. She was making a few $100k herself before leaving work last year.

They are leaving it all behind and are creating travelling the world with their children (no kids yet) and providing the opportunity for them to explore cultures and create grass-root projects that benefit each community within their own empowering context.

Between him, Ace-in-the-hole, Skater and a few other friends and mentors on and off the forum, I am really exploring what is possible for my life to stand for.

Loving relationships, freedom to live a life the inspires me and to allow others to live the life they choose in any way they can imagine.

Some pretty amazing whys here - thanks for sharing!

Mine is simply getting more time to do what I enjoy. Perhaps it's setting up my own business, more time playing sports or spending with friends & family - I want to have that choice :)

In a word, Options.

I'm not sure exactly (I have plenty of ideas) what I want from my life and where I want to be in 10, 20, 30 years, I think we grow and our ideas change anyway! One thing I know is that I will need $'s. I invest with the goal of having the options to do what ever it is I want.

eventually you will run out of hours to sell and regret doing the things you love.

Totally agree - and kudos.

That's why it's also important to live in the present and enjoy things now too - instead of always focusing on the future (something I'm constantly guilty of).

Cheers

Jamie

Totally agree - and kudos.

That's why it's also important to live in the present and enjoy things now too - instead of always focusing on the future (something I'm constantly guilty of).

Cheers

Jamie

That's the trick isn't it

There would be a heap of people on this forum who were retired by say 40 years old.
But how many of them can say they have achieved this without sacrificing a significant part of their youth?

We have a few properties that are all subdividable (retain house) - do we sub and sell now and become cash flow neutral to positive and take it easy
Or do we stick out the cash flow negative for another 10 - 15 years and then sub and in all likelihood wipe out our bank debt and retire ???

So that before I am too old to be doing it any longer, I can spend all day on/in/around the ocean with not a care in the world.

I always wanted to be rich from a young age, maybe 4 or 5 years old, don't know what made me like this, probably because we were quite poor and had very little material possessions while growing up.
Anyway, kept on truly believing and visualising that I will be rich one day which probably led to my strong work ethic to achieve this.

So the question could just as easily be - Why not?
Why wouldn't you want to be rich if all it takes is a simple decision and a positive attitude?

It saddens me when I see perfectly capable people sabotaging themselves because they hold a negative attitude towards life. They truly don't realise their negative attitudes are holding them back from achieving what they are capable of.

Why?

Time is the most precious and finite item that we all own, yet we trade it away for $x/hr. I think it's a very valuable thing to be able to spend your time doing what you want, as eventually you will run out of hours to sell and regret not being able to do the things you love.

I like this post. Time is the great equalizer and time is all we have. There isn't an endless supply and some unfortunately have less than others.

I also like the following perspective from Jim Rohn.

Why?
Why not?
Why not you?
Why not now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB156bFwFnc

I'm not a big time investor but the bits and pieces that I do here and there have helped me backpack around the world, study all sorts of things, not have to do the normal 9-5 (except when I needed to get finance).

I'm 36 and if you tallied up all the time I've been in a regular job since leaving uni, it would probably add to 3 or 4 years.

Also, now I'm a full time mum anything my investing can bring in is my way of contributing to our family.

Plus, I like to imagine that one day I'll make oodles and my doctor and lawyer friends will be like 'Hey, Lucy's one clever cookie! She's not a drop-out at all!'. I'm sure that's not what they actually think but you know, when people expect a lot from you all through school and uni, and then you don't deliver, you can't help feeling that everyone's thinking 'what happened there??'.

Back