What Jobs Will Disappear Within Ten Years..

Just wondering if anyone thinks that far ahead,when people have seen so many Business-Models come and go within the last 30 years ,the local hamburger-milkshake corner shop no longer is there ,fast food outlets control that area,,the Encyclopedia Britannica saleperson no longer goes street by street,all one need is the small screen inside the mobile phone and with that small screen you don't need a watch,you no longer need to buy maps,you can check the weather the current latest news,what all your family mates are doing within minutes of the event happening or have a Pizza within 10 minutes,The once great business model of movie rental overnight hire,no longer has the power,the small local hardware is no longer there,,every business model I look from a investing angle is changing very quickly one no longer needs Travel Agents all can be booked and paided without ever walking in a Travel Agents door,the same are New and Used Car Sales online sales have overtaken the need to talk to anyone
cutting out all the middlemen and the backdoor gatekeepers,Now we get too the big employers ,Stock-Brokers,Insurance Companies,Banks,Real Estate Agents, the list is endless..

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bill_McKibben

Some that come to mind that are being phased out:

Bank Tellers
Cashiers
DVD rental stores
Journalists
Liberians
Mailmen
Receptionist / Secretary
Travel Agents

Essentially any job that can automated or undertaken directly by the end user.

Hi Will, I touched on this a little while ago when discussing whether Uni was a waste of time (which it is... don't believe me? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/29/underemployed-overeducated_n_2568203.html). As we all know, many blue collar jobs have been moved overseas. This is now happening with middle class positions, too.

Retail as we know it is going to be very different in ten years than it is today. Most of the lower level positions in industries such as legal, accounting, finance, etc. will all be outsourced overseas, creating even less demand for graduates in these areas than we already have today.

Pretty much anything that can be outsourced, whether to another country or online will be the natural order of things. The only jobs that will be relatively 'safe' in ten years' time are things that can't be outsourced, like the trades for instance.

Some that come to mind that are being phased out:

Journalists
Liberians
Mailmen

Journalists aren't being phased out, they are just moving to online sources. Unless you figure out a way to magically get your mail delivered from the Post Office to your front door, mailmen will still be around.

What's a liberian?

I've heard...

Accountants (can be outsourced)
Anything I.T. related
Insurance companies
Retail and customer service assistants (online shopping/automated service)
Aspects of healthcare (x-rays and imaging can be sent overseas and analysed by overseas doctors who can provide reports back to patients 24/7)
Tourism

Daddy, what was a truck driver ?

The biggest change will be this

Daddy , what was a truck driver ?

Deliveries on time , no long shifts to make it on time with the driver falling a sleep or speeding , coordinate arrivals in docks .

Throw in automated taxi's , couriers

There's a lot of people who make a living driving around the city .

Used to be a lot of people who made a living on the land , manufacturing etc

Cliff

Pretty much anything that can be outsourced, whether to another country or online will be the natural order of things. The only jobs that will be relatively 'safe' in ten years' time are things that can't be outsourced, like the trades for instance.

Employers can bring in 457s for trades jobs. Cheap labour, non-unionised, paid pittance per hour. Outsourcing by importing the labour. They are temporary workers on 457 visas.

Shop assistants (online)
Web designers (outsources overseas)
Graphic designers (outsourced overseas)
Bank tellers (already happened - when I worked in the bank there'd be 10 tellers on at any time)
Posties (down to 2-3 days a week)
Checkout chicks (self serve)

Basically everything we don't need actual physical contact for

In time DT imo posties will vanish.

Ps.What are stamps worth now 35 cents?I haven't posted for yonks but how can you make a buck out of that lol?

Pss.I should have put pence or pennies.

I'm surprised posties havent already gone - we scan and email all our documents these days?

Umm maybe because not everyone has a scanner at home. Maybe because we have older people in the population who are unable to scan and send?

Back