What Jobs Will Disappear Within Ten Years..

The govt has an obligation to ensure every postal delivery point in this great nation, be it in the middle of a city or in Tin Buck Tu (sic), can receive a letter.

Telstra has a similar problem in providing telephony services to all Aussies.

And yes I know Timbuktu is in Africa but I just wanted to emphasise "remoteness".

So, the humble postie IMO will be around for a long time although their numbers will dwindle.

I've heard...

Aspects of healthcare (x-rays and imaging can be sent overseas and analysed by overseas doctors who can provide reports back to patients 24/7)
Tourism

I hear the University of Bangladesh have exacting standards . I feel my x-rays will be in good hands.

fortunately...
This will never happen. The first mis-diagnosed x-ray/ct/mri would be dissected in the media. (bad pun intended). Queensland health will be the first to try it on though.

Hope the icecream man doesn't get phased out. I like Mr Whippy icecream.

Sorry, you'll have to buy your own machine and make your own. I've already commenced planning, I'm trying to work out how to make the flakes and sprinkles last beyond first encounter with the enemy (with the enemy played in this instance by me :D)

In time DT imo posties will vanish.

Ps.What are stamps worth now 35 cents?I haven't posted for yonks but how can you make a buck out of that lol?

Pss.I should have put pence or pennies.

70 cents now I think. My DW is one of the few people who apparently still likes to send letters, it's a massive PITA

3D Printing or additive manufacturing will replace many retail outlets and also plenty of online stores. Instead of popping round to the local store or logging on to buy an item, you will just pay to download the design and print it at home.

Let alone all the manufacturing component jobs that will disappear due to the components being printed.

Just take a look at what is being produced by this technology now. Imagine in a few years time.

Umm maybe because not everyone has a scanner at home. Maybe because we have older people in the population who are unable to scan and send?

Yep, but do you know what happens to the older population over time?

3D Printing or additive manufacturing will replace many retail outlets and also plenty of online stores. Instead of popping round to the local store or logging on to buy an item, you will just pay to download the design and print it at home.

Let alone all the manufacturing component jobs that will disappear due to the components being printed.

Just take a look at what is being produced by this technology now. Imagine in a few years time.

What happens if you set a 3d printer on repeat to print out a 3d printer set on repeat?

Cabinet Makers.
It's a dying trade where new blood isn't coming through!

Edit: maybe not 10 years, but surely 20-30

In time DT imo posties will vanish.

Ps.What are stamps worth now 35 cents?I haven't posted for yonks but how can you make a buck out of that lol?

Pss.I should have put pence or pennies.
agreed, our company has just switched the majority of customers over to emailed statements for EOM (Yes, I know we are behind the times.)

Journalists aren't being phased out, they are just moving to online sources. Unless you figure out a way to magically get your mail delivered from the Post Office to your front door, mailmen will still be around.

QUOTE]

Fairfax and News have already undertaken significant reductions in their journalist staff and overseas the model is to cut and paste stories.

Posties are already targeted with Australia Post looking at doing deliveries only 2-3 days peer week and Google and other companies are trialling drone deliveries.

In ten years time there'll be no more need for property spruikers as everyone will have made their money. ;)

If one reads any Gold-Coast free or paided news papers some of the Property Fast Bucks Propertry Soap Box Spruikers are saying they have been around for 20 years through several cycles,from the Japanese-Russian-Chinese- and still trying to make a buck,if it works on the Gold-Coast it works anywhere in the world accept the USA where they would end up the in slammer doing 50 years with some lifer in the bottom bunk..

I hope not furniture makers, but every time I try to buy Australian made unless I go direct to the maker it seems to have quality control checks written in what I believe is Chinese, which makes me suspect the reason for the lead time is shipping from overseas, not Aus.

I hope not furniture makers, but every time I try to buy Australian made unless I go direct to the maker it seems to have quality control checks written in what I believe is Chinese, which makes me suspect the reason for the lead time is shipping from overseas, not Aus.
On the subject of Aus made furniture - or anything for that matter;

Currently my wife is making hand-made women's designer handbags out of old material etc - retro style.

So far, she has made 10. 3 for her own practice and display, and another 7 for friends. They are very, very good.

The materials cost bugger-all; second hand jeans, material and old handbags for buckles etc from Op Shops, etc. Call it $20 for materials at most.

The time though; approx 5-6 hours per handbag.

How much should she charge per hour?

Assuming the average hourly rate of folks on this site is say; $35 per hour (maybe that is way off the mark?), then that is at least $195 per handbag.

She normally sells them for $150 (all have been to friends and colleagues) and a couple more intensive bags were $180.

So, based on that; not really much of a money maker, but the cost of the bags is very expensive when you consider that you can go into handbag shops and pay $100 and sometimes even less for one.

Admittedly hers are one-off, handmade and not production line, but it illustrates what the Aus manufacturing market is up against when competing with O/S.

When you then add rent etc to the cost of producing the furniture, you can see how hard it will be for Aus going forward.

3D printers and robots will be the end of many trades

I suspect so. The human element would still be required for the more fringe or upper-end stuff but certainly for the mainstream the efficiencies of 3D printers and technology is hard to ignore.

Back