What kind of carpet?

This week I received the news of more water damage to our house in Gladstone. I was going to replace the crappy carpet in the three bedrooms next time it is vacated, but I might as well do it now since two rooms got water all through them. I also want to sweeten the chances of the current tenants staying on when their lease expires.

I realise that the carpet one would put into their own home is going to be different to what we put in an IP, especially since our last two family tenants like to put their kids in the three bedrooms and use the tiled rumpus room for themselves. I also read this morning that carpet manufacturer's warranties are invalidated in an IP anyway. I have asked the PM to suggest "commercial" grade or tenant-proof carpet, but while I wait, what advice can the sages here give this carpet virgin. We have all timber floors at home here.

We are talking Gladstone, coal and red dust capital of Qld coastal towns. Should I forget about carpet and get vinyl or laminate instead? The rest of the floors are white tiles.

The bedrooms when we purchased

Attachments

• image6[2].jpg
    image6[2].jpg
    105 KB · Views: 102
That carpet is a cheap poly propylene - you could go with something similar (in a reddy/brown). Or solid flooring as dave said - easier to clean.

Hi Angel,

If this is a long term hold, I would consider spending a bit extra on a tiled floor. Timber looks great but isn't always the best option in a dusty environment.

Another option could be vinyl plank flooring like the following picture but in a lighter colour.
vinyl-planks.jpg

If you do decide to go for a carpet, have a look at a loop pile solution dyed nylon.

Thanks Jane for your tips. Would it be odd to have tiles if we cant match the existing ones? I am also thinking vinyl, I am familiar with full rooms laid in one piece. Do the planks tend to lift at all the joins?

Harvey's carpet feels very nice, unlike the cheaper poly stuff that some people use in rentals. Unfortunately they don't supply carpet any further north than the Sunny Coast.

If you can't match the existing ones, then you'd need to do a complete contrast (ie don't even try to match them). If you can marry up the grout lines between the rooms, that can go some way to providing some cohesion between the spaces. This may mean doubling the size of the new tiles. For instance if the existing tiles are 250x250mm, you could do 500x500mm tiles in the newly tiled areas. It does depend on the areas being tiled though!

Re vinyl strips; when they are laid properly they don't lift. Ie the floor is prepared well and the surface is clean and blemish-free.

That carpet Moyjos provided a link to is fantastic. My contact at Harvey Norman can arrange supply and installation of their carpet almost anywhere in Australia so don't let distance put you off! It has around 3x durability of Nylon and has excellent cleaning properties. Looks good and feels nice under foot. $60/sqm installed with underlay which isn't too bad.

Hope that helps.

Back