Votes: 5 3.4%
  • A mix of units/apts & houses

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • A mix of units/apts & townhouses/villas

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • A mix of houses & townhouses/villas

Votes: 20 13.8%

• Total voters
As per my CGA Property Investment Strategy.........

Without getting into the "which is better debate, houses or Units??", I prefer to purchase Townhouses & Villas with courtyards of 30% or greater land area thereby eliminating multi story units / high rise apartments with balcony's, for several reasons.

The mains ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ lower maintenance & upkeep for the tenant.

2/ lower purchase and entry level into a Higher capital growth suburban area.

3/ rapidly growing marketplace (starting both now & into the future) wanting these type properties. This is due the largest demographic group of people be born (being the Baby boomers and Empty nesters) starting to come into their retirement years and downsizing for lifestyle & economic budgeting reasons.

4/ greater tax deduction advantages & effectiveness thus maximising cash flow.

5/ able to hold more individual properties spread across your portfolio thereby maximising your capital growth exposure potential, plus minimising area over exposure risks by not holding all your eggs in only a few baskets, so to speak.

I hope this helps.

Hi guys,

Just thought I would throw a poll out there to see what kind of residential property types people on the forum do invest in. There always seem to be discussions around houses vs units etc, so thought it would benefit everyone.

Cheers

There are many different types of properties that you can invest in, ranging from flats, units, houses, lands, plots of land, apartments, bungalows, commercial properties (incl. offices and offices buildings), duplex, studios, studio apartments, townhouses, terrace houses, semi detached and detached houses, etc. My advise is to do your planning, finance, property selection thoroughly and put importance on quality not quantity research and be sure to go to reliable properties websites when you do your research, such as:
1. http://www.realestateview.com.au/
2. http://properties.mitula.com.au/
3. http://www.realestate.com.au/buy

Goodluck !!

There are many different types of properties that you can invest in, ranging from flats, units, houses, lands, plots of land, apartments, bungalows, commercial properties (incl. offices and offices buildings), duplex, studios, studio apartments, townhouses, terrace houses, semi detached and detached houses, etc. My advise is to do your planning, finance, property selection thoroughly and put importance on quality not quantity research and be sure to go to reliable properties websites when you do your research, such as:
1. http://www.realestateview.com.au/
2. http://properties.mitula.com.au/
3. http://www.realestate.com.au/buy

Goodluck !!

Thanks yeah, there are many options but for the sake of presentation I have narrowed it down to a few options

sub-dividable blocks with house, villa units and apartments, all older style nothing new, and hopefully commercial in the future

Personally I have created some basic check boxes for myself:

• 600sqm+ Block
  • Within walking from Public transport
  • Close proximity to 2 out of 4: hospital, large public school, university, CBD
  • preferably 3 bed+
  • 1 bathroom (for possibility to add an extra or ensuite)
  • subdivision potential / ResB zoning
  • Potential for Granny Flat/extension for dual income.
  • preferably Brick and Tile
  • structurally Solid - pest and building report
  • Close to a McDonalds :D ?ability to get a sneaky cheeseburger on the way home!! - HIGHLY UNDERRATED!

if it checks most of these boxes its game time.

hope this helps!

J

I generally follow these principles:

• Below suburb median
  • subdividable OR newer than 1980 with renovation potential
  • subdividable blocks 600sqm min, straight down the middle sub (not battleaxe)
  • Within metro area with essential infrastructure (near to primary and secondary schools, hospital, train line and or bus, shopping centre)
  • Suburb demographic uplift

As my strategy is to buy, renovate and rent the properties as cash flow positive, I generally want to find properties which are significantly under median so that a cosmetic renovation can bring it up to or above median.

The equity access from this can enable another purchase and renovation. Each property is cash flow positive with long term capital growth potential due to the other fundamentals.

As many of these properties are 50-60 years old and nearing end life, subdivision potential provides insurance against the inevitable write-off the property. Development provides scope to create CG also.

I generally follow these principles:

• Below suburb median
  • subdividable OR newer than 1980 with renovation potential
  • subdividable blocks 600sqm min, straight down the middle sub (not battleaxe)
  • Within metro area with essential infrastructure (near to primary and secondary schools, hospital, train line and or bus, shopping centre)
  • Suburb demographic uplift

As my strategy is to buy, renovate and rent the properties as cash flow positive, I generally want to find properties which are significantly under median so that a cosmetic renovation can bring it up to or above median.

The equity access from this can enable another purchase and renovation. Each property is cash flow positive with long term capital growth potential due to the other fundamentals.

As many of these properties are 50-60 years old and nearing end life, subdivision potential provides insurance against the inevitable write-off the property. Development provides scope to create CG also.

Tell the truth, summing it up in one word:

Starts with 'S' and ends in 'lum'!

pinkboy:p

I'm only interested in houses on land these days that can be developed for dual occ or sub-division. We've sold any of our properties that don't have development potential.

I've done the buy renovate sell thing for several years, but difficult to make gains in a flat market. I don't mind units, villas or townhouses for doing up and selling, but prefer to land bank house and land.

Mystery

1. Houses on own land - no strata (preferably with enough land to subdivide at a later date)
2. Close to public transport
3. Below suburb median
4. As close to positive cash-flow as possible

Buy and hold strategy...

Back