Votes: 5 3.4%
  • A mix of units/apts & houses

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • A mix of units/apts & townhouses/villas

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • A mix of houses & townhouses/villas

Votes: 20 13.8%

• Total voters
What kind of property do you invest in? (Resi)

Hi guys,

Just thought I would throw a poll out there to see what kind of residential property types people on the forum do invest in. There always seem to be discussions around houses vs units etc, so thought it would benefit everyone.

Cheers

Last edited:
So, looking at the results, you would say more investors buy houses than units. Does that mean houses are better investments than units? Who knows. It might be a bunch of new investors with one house each against investors who have been at it for decades owning blocks of units.

There are no details on price, strategy, available resources, or, for that matter, results.

Far from benefiting people, this risks pointing people in the wrong direction. I could see the results and interpret it as buying a new house in a housing development 100km from the city is better than buying an inner city older unit.

So, looking at the results, you would say more investors buy houses than units. Does that mean houses are better investments than units? Who knows. It might be a bunch of new investors with one house each against investors who have been at it for decades owning blocks of units.

There are no details on price, strategy, available resources, or, for that matter, results.

Far from benefiting people, this risks pointing people in the wrong direction. I could see the results and interpret it as buying a new house in a housing development 100km from the city is better than buying an inner city older unit.

Fair enough!
I agree there is only so much a poll can encompass.
Informative nevertheless.

Focused on one and two bedroom apartments in secure gated/intercom complexes that have low vacancy rates. After acquiring a few in my portfolio finally have the cash flow and equity to branch out into houses for future investment properties.

I voted houses as thats only what I have currently invested in.

But thats because that was the type of property that was in demand in the area I purchased.

There is no 1 fits all for house v unit, it all depends on the market you're purchasing in and what that market demands.

How about: only development sites. I sold IP#1 last year (not a development site) but IP#2, IP#3 are potential development sites. Hopefully IP#4 (future purchase) will be a potential development site.

Also want to add that I only buy quality houses in which I personally would live.

A lot of people think like that. It's very restrictive. I buy a property if I know someone will want to live in it.

I'd buy a house, townhouse, villa, unit depending on the numbers.

A lot of people think like that. It's very restrictive. I buy a property if I know someone will want to live in it.

I'd buy a house, townhouse, villa, unit depending on the numbers.

We used to do that but found that houses bought on the basis of numbers often attracted more problematic tenants , seemed to have more maintenance issues to now we mainly but nice properties which we would be happy to live in .

Also keeps the number of properties down to a more manageable level .

We might buy some more number crunched properties , but only for short term capital gain , to pay the debt down on the nice keepers .

Cliff

Right now, only buying bigger block of land that I can subdivide in the future, yield is important just to manage holding cost while I accumulate these sort of properties

My property journey has been with houses (with land attached), I have invested in property for over 15 years, we look at land size and area, usually buy a old house (brick or weatherboard) and develop. Been very successful with this strategy as we have builders in the extended family so costs are lower, and strong relationship with local agents so properties sell quicker.

Recently, we moved into our first apartment development (16 in SE of Melbourne). Will be a great learning experience.

Unless your a cash flow king - 9% per property or good at picking rising markets Australia wide then a house on a parcel of land that would be able to accommodate two dwellings would have to be the best way to go

It's rule number 1 of investing

Looks like I'm the odd one out who is invested in Townhouses only.
I felt this was the most appropriate answer because all I have is 13 townhouses and nothing else.
However, those 13 townhouses started off as 3 freestanding houses.
So my answer could also be that I only invest in houses, but only invested in townhouses...

But thinking about it now, I do believe it's my preferred dwelling type for long term investment.
Don't think I will ever invest in an apartment or freestanding house for long term hold, apart from PPOR.
Only exception would be holding apartments from a future development, but will never purchase an apartment.

Houses and farm land

The last 2 purchases have been houses with double development potential (renovation & subdivision) so that's my strategy going forward.

Back