what price a new kitchen?

Greetings all you renovators!

I'm looking to put a new basic kitchen in an old unit in Brisbane that's settling soon to replace the existing one.

whilst I don't have the exact measurements with me, the kitchen is in a 1 bedder and is maybe 3.5 x 2.5m in size.

How much have people paid for new kitchens, installed?

Also, is there any rule of thumb about a maximum to spend eg no more than 5% of purchase price of property etc?

Ballpark indications from various suppliers have ranged from about $3K to $6,500!!! Sounds like too much to me. I was hoping for around the $2K mark.

thanks for your info.

Cheers
N.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Nigel,

Last time I looked in Brissy (9 months ago)about $100 per lineal metre for cabinets was the go. You will need to allow for sink and P.C. items plus the sparky and plumber. $2,000 is possible but not if you want someone to co-ordinate (do) it all for you - for that you will have to start closer to $3,000.

Geoff Doidge is the man on the spot up there and his prices will be more current and accurate. [email protected]

Michael Croft
"The best parachute folders are those who jump themselves."

Reply: 1.1

you just need a sink, go to bunnings warehouse and get a small kitchen cabinet frame to put around it. Its a one bedder, you wont have many dishes.

TW
~Life is a daring adventure, or nothing at all~

Reply: 2

Hi

How old is the existing kitchen? If it was built after 1985 and you scrap it, you can get an immediate tax deduction for the depreciation not yet claimed.

It might make the deal that much sweeter.

Dale

Reply: 2.1

I put a brand new kitchen in a very small unit recently (well April anyway) and it cost me approx. $6K, including s/s oven, stovetop and rangehood, plumbing, tiling, kitchen installation, electrics etc. Looked pretty good too! I have since learnt that you can buy kitchens cheaper, but you've got to shop around and around... Keep at it! Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 2.1.1

Sounds like a great kitchen Jacque - but i don't think the brisbane market will bear it! That's getting up towards 10% of the cost of the unit! In a 300K 1 bedder in Sydney it would be neither here nor there...but it would be pure indulgence to put s/steel appliances etc in for this target market.

Unfortunately kitchen is probably the same vintage as the unit, so tax joy might be limited...

Many thanks for the suggestions and comments. Michael's comments are most instructive.

Reply: 2.1.1.1

Nigel

I have just completed a new kitchen in a cottage in Newcastle, it is L shaped and approx 2.5m x 3.5m.
Cupboards with woodgrain laminate doors and plastic edging was $1700, this included wall units along 1 side, also end trims and kickboards (looks good and is hard wearing). Benchtop was $550, screws, handles, plumbing bits etc $100. Total $2350.
I got them from Barry,s Kitchens (Mad Barrys)and their construction is quite solid, with a solid 16mm backpanel, not 3mm.
I used the original sink and put it in nearly it,s original position and used s/s braided flex hose (most hardware stores have these) to connect from existing water pipes to taps - no plumber costs.
I did it myself so that is all it cost, it would probably have cost at least twice as much to get the same from a kitchen mob and for them to install.
Another reason I can say that they are solid is that the small cupboard unit that goes above the oven fan, came off the back of the ute while doing 110k, I saw it bouncing down the road in the rearview mirror. When I walked back to retreive the bits, I found that the corners had been worn away but it was still in 1 piece, with 1 door still attached. Woops, I replaced that because of appearance, so add another $100 to my cost.
Once the old stuff had been cleared out, it took me 2 days to install it.
It will cost another $1000 for a new upright stove and extraction fan.
Remembered something else, as the walls are masonite, and pretty flimsy, I used Aquatile tileboard for the splashbacks all around instead of tiles, cost $135 plus $15 for liquid nails and silicon. That makes $2600, or $3600 including appliances.

Having fun,

Ken

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

I believe that there are auction houses up there that are a great source of cheap appliances.. my associate also tells me that you can buy kitchens as well. If you're not fussed, this may be a good starting point.
Good luck,
Sam.

Reply: 2.1.1.1.2

Ken

What a great story! Tell me more about this aquatile board.

Does it look like tiles (or if not, just look okay in terms of being pleasing to the eye?) If so, sounds like a good option!

Cheers
N.

Reply: 2.1.1.1.2.1

Hi,

Another thought occurred and I haven't done this for a couple of years.

Scour the papers for second hand kitchens. People move into new or newish homes and rip out perfectly good kitchens and appliances regularly. Most are modular in 300/450/600 size increments so can be re arranged to suit your average kitchen.

Last one I picked up was 2 years new and pristine! It included the sink Clarke Cornish, flick mixer and ezy hookers, simpson silohette under bench oven and hot plates, pantry, two sets of over heads and of course all the carcasses (some with fancy inserts like recycling bins) and bench tops. All in perfectly neutral colours (cream doors and roll form laminex tops in a granite colour).

The installed cost break up was as follows; kitchen cost $800, modified bench top $180, handy person $400, plumber $220, unfortunately the hotplates were gas so we picked up a new set of electric ones $450, the electrician was $90 and slashbacks (frosted glass) $85. The total cost of this kitchen installed was $2,225. Doesn't sound too good until you realise that it is a $7,000+ kitchen and it looks like it.

The other cost was scouring the paper over two weekends and looking at 3 potential kitchens, so time was involved. This was also the most expensive kitchen I looked at, others were going free if I would take them away!

I've also used 'flat packs' ordered from 'A plan' in Sydney and 'Builders Bargains' formerly mad barry's also in Sydney. These are good value but involve effort.

Michael Croft

Reply: 2.1.1.1.2.1.1

Which papers was it in Michael?

Serge

Reply: 2.1.1.1.2.1.1.1

Trading post, Canberra Times and one of the Sydney tabloids.

Michael Croft

Reply: 2.1.1.1.2.2

Nigel

The Aquatile boards are able to be bought from the big hardwares, Hardwarehouse, Mitre 10 etc, some have displays. It looks like tiles, have to be particular at the joints with the spacing and neat white silicon, this is what will give it away if not done properly.
Nothing looks as good as real tiles though, I would have used tiles if I could have, and the board is about double the price.

Ken

Reply: 2.1.1.1.3

Hi Nigel,

You could certainly do a kitchen for around the $2,000.00 look at the back of Saturdays Courier mail and start hitting the auctions - great bargains to be had - and i am talking all new. My neighbours has bought dishwasher/stove/fridge/ all new with warranty - kitchen cupboards - benches the works and all solid timber, had to have one small cupboard made to take up the existing space. He just overwhelms me with what he brings home and the prices he pays - perhaps that's how one gets a nice red Ferrari (I don't even know how to spell it) and by the way its the most god awful uncomfortable car i have ever been in -but i admit its fun.
I cant help you with what you should spend in relation the the price of the unit, havn't got a clue - but i do love the Auctions!!!
Good Luck,
Denise

Back