what price to expect for 100m2 concreting job?

Hi guys,

Looking at doing a bit of concreting around my house including driveway, area around the garage, front porch and front path. Overall close to 100m2. What should I be looking at in terms of price if:
1) the job is done either in exp agg or stenciled
2) the job is done by some good expirienced concreter/company with good reputation and lots of experience

Just roughly, as en estimate what sum should I be out of the pocket for a job like this in Melbourne these days?

Regards
JC

tell you mate there are too many variables to give an accurate quote.

1. truck rates per mtr vary depending on how far you are from a plant...different zones will calculate a different rate....if your far away it can be expensive per mtr

2. laying cost will vary often from concreter to concreter

3. what sort of mix strength? 20 mpa, 25 mpa, 32 mpa........

4. mesh requirements depending on any engineers specs if used...prob basic so no big deal there i guess.

little things like the above can add $$$$$ to any project real quick.

best option in my opinion to get a reasonable price...hunt around job sites early in the morning and see if you can jag a couple of blokes to do a weekender...cashie!

get them to quote meshed up and laid...easy as...

sorry i cant offer a price.....variations are too wide to be close..

Thanks csc2

I've got a quote for $10,000 for stencilled at the moment. Its 25mpa. Problem is I know I can get it done cheaper but at the same time I dont want to go totally el-cheapo to avoid nasty "surprises". But do you reckon $10,000 is too much and I should look for a better deal?

Cheers
JC

Oh, so $10K is pretty much average price these days for such a job?

you could certainly pay more and perhaps a bit less but your stencil work could suffer.
Ask to see the builder's work and also something which is over 12 months old

Last edited:
Thanks csc2

I've got a quote for $10,000 for stencilled at the moment. Its 25mpa. Problem is I know I can get it done cheaper but at the same time I dont want to go totally el-cheapo to avoid nasty "surprises". But do you reckon $10,000 is too much and I should look for a better deal?

Cheers
JC

sounds reasonable i guess.....probably could save a few grand by shopping it around.

if all you have to do is hand over the cash then id prob get another two quotes to compare using the same specs.

be careful what you seal the stenciled concrete with if you do.....some sealers are a damm nuisance and dont last long.

im away for a few days but best of luck.

ps: concrete usually turns up in a truck around 80 slump....makes sure the concreters dont pi$$ it up too much....makes it easy for them to screed but will create cracks as well when it cures.

no more than 90-95 slump.

i dont really like stenciled concrete, its just another maintenance job if you ask me keeping sealer up to it..........why not just go the exposed ag? easy as to look after

Oh, so $10K is pretty much average price these days for such a job?

Roughly, your supply charge for readymix would be about $2,500 max.

Therfore you are paying labour (and little bit of materials) of $7,500 for something that is a 10m x 10m slab that is stencilled?

F

Just as an idea I am about to get a slab laid for a garage so i'm getting 35m2 which willl be 100mm thick with RF62 mesh but the engineer wants a 200mmx200mm footing all the way around the border with N12 rod for reo. All up it is going to cost me $2800 laid plus excavation costs. The part that pushed up the price is the footings. Without those it would be around $2300.

Now these are Canberra prices and not stenciled so it may give you a rough idea on what you might be up for. I was told that most concreters will charge around $65 a metre laid including plastic membrane and mesh.

Guys, once again, can I ask you which type of concrete requires less maintenance - exposed aggregate or stencilled? I was sort of leaning towards stencilled cause I like some of patterns looks but then again I dont want to care about maintaining the concrete all the time and if stencilled requires more maintenance then maybe its not the best option for me. From what I heard ANY type of concrete you have to seal it and periodically re-seal it if you dont want it to deteriorate a lot in couple of years. So what makes exposed aggreagate better option in terms of maintenance? Less frequent sealing required?

Guys, once again, can I ask you which type of concrete requires less maintenance - exposed aggregate or stencilled?

Don't know.

I have exposed aggregate driveway and around house, and it requires a good ol karcher every year to get the dirt and grime off it.

Once you do this though it looks great.

In saying this, if I used a sealer, it may mitigate the need.

F

Don't know.
I have exposed aggregate driveway and around house, and it requires a good ol karcher every year to get the dirt and grime off it.
Once you do this though it looks great.
In saying this, if I used a sealer, it may mitigate the need.
F
After you clean it spread some sealer over it with a broom and it will stay looking great.

I have a stenciled driveway and it also requires a sealer every 1 or 2 years. If I don't seal it, dirt and mould builds up and engine oil from cars can stain it.

Why is it that exp agg require less maintenance than stencilled? They both need to be sealed, right?

Is there a kind of concrete that doesnt require sealer? I'd imagine something like house pad concrete?

And $100 per sq metre - wow! I'd expect that for something structural. But for a driveway that sounds very expensive.

My guestimate would be around $75/m2 depending on concrete thickness and mesh/reo requirements - for a pedestrian concrete path this would be minimal ie not exceeding 100mm thick and with little or no reo requirement so the $75 would be around the mark I would have thought.

With 100m2 your looking at max 10m3 but more likely 8m3 or less so roughly a full truck equivilent - smaller areas cost more per/m2 so for 10m2 you'll pay more but @ 100m2+ you should avoid this. Also take into account access if it's easy access (and front yard as you described SHOULD be) the above $75 should be sufficient.

I advise ringing around for quotes.

Let us know the outcome :)

Last edited:
most average concrete trucks have a 6mtr bowl but are restricted to carrying 5 cubic mtrs due to weight...

i have always used exposed on driveways and pathways...never sealed any and ive done plenty........like someone said, all you need is a pressure cleaner over it every few years to bring it back to new again if it starts to look a little dirty....a little chlorine removes mould etc easily, brush it in , wait a few minutes and hit it with a pressure cleaner..an hrs work max...

no way would i use stencil...definitely high maintenance 100%

I have just put in a 14 sq mtrs of plain 100 mm thickened edge beam concrete in my backyard. Cost me more than $1900...:eek: I know it was on the higher side but I was pressed for time. Archicentre.com.au are a good guide for price calculations.

If eventually it is gonna be a habitable room ( ie.sunroom), then thickened edge beam is needed. Also it is essential that there is termite protection plastic sheet laid and the ground is chemically treated (before the the concrete is poured) between the concrete slab and existing building. Council are very particular about this. Pest control mob can do this work before the concreter gets to do his job. He will give you a certificate which mentions that the ground is treated for pest protection. Council then have no objections for you to build a room if other conditions are met.

Don't forget to get prints of your kids palms / feet on the concrete. They feel quite proud in showing it to their mates.

Roughly, your supply charge for readymix would be about $2,500 max.

Therfore you are paying labour (and little bit of materials) of $7,500 for something that is a 10m x 10m slab that is stencilled?

F
yea for stencil on 100 m2 "a little bit of materials" = $700 for 2 rolls of stencil $300 for 10 bags of color $700 for steel and $500 for sealer. plus 300 to 700 for bobcat/fill. and 3 other concreters to help u at $400 each.Theres no way anyone thats not an idiot is gonna do it for less than 9 grand and that would only be for cash and only if it didnt need a bobcat. we all do free quotes mate just get a few more instead of talking to a bunch of people that have no clue what their talking about.

Back