What searches do you think are a must?

Hi all,

What searches do you think are a must when purchasing property? Obviously it will depend a little on the property. My conveyancer has recommended a pretty big list!:

Title search
Registered Plan
Easements
Town Planning Certificate
Full rates
Property Notices
Building Records
Drainage plan
Special water meter reading
Queensland Transport and Main Roads
Land Tax
Powerlink
Contaminated land
Bankruptcy searches
Transport Noise corridor
QCAT Tree Order Register search

The property I'm purchasing is an acre block that's part of a semi-rural subdivision that's just been done. There are Building Envelope concerns, the possibility of protected trees and koala habit area and easement considerations...

Why bankruptcy? At least in NSW for torrens title land why would you want to be put on notice that the vendor might have a problem?

That was indeed an important one!

Yeah I can't understand the point of a Bankruptcy search either.

If the vendor is an undischarged bankrupt, then the creditors will have a say regarding the direction of payment of outstanding debts eg: 40 separate cheques to each creditor or final say on the sale/ability to sell the property.

Land tax is worth a check but unless it's a big block in an inner to middle ring area of a capital city; it is unlikely you'll breach the land-value threshold for that state, in just one property. It is more important for investors than home buyers.

Units offer more flexibility when it comes to land tax; in my home state of NSW you pretty much need to be owning 4-5+ units in modest/median-Sydney price areas before you come close to breaching the $385K land-tax threshold for that state.

Land tax is worth a check but unless it's a big block in an inner to middle ring area of a capital city; it is unlikely you'll breach the land-value threshold for that state, in just one property. It is more important for investors than home buyers.

Units offer more flexibility when it comes to land tax; in my home state of NSW you pretty much need to be owning 4-5+ units in modest/median-Sydney price areas before you come close to breaching the $385K land-tax threshold for that state.

Cameron,

The land tax check main reason is not to check whether you might exceed LAN tax threshold, it is to see whether the vendor owes land tax, which you can inherit.

Back