What should I do in Japan?

Do NOT buy a laptop in Japan.

Even international brands like Toshiba create laptops specifically for the Japanese market, and while it might look cool to have one that no one else does, drivers can be an outright pain to get to. eg if you bring one back with Japanese windows and you want to reload an english version, you'll prbably find things like the DVD burner not working, the screen resolution all wrong, no wirells driver etc.

The Y-man

im currently using my dads laptop which he bought 3 yrs ago in japan. no problems so far

incidentally i cant believe no one has mentioned tsukiji yet, still one of the most amazing things ive ever seen but im really into my food.

you dont have to go at 3am like my dad and i did, i think it would be fun even a bit later. sushi after was amazing too

i also agree with the earlier recommendation of kappabashi for knives etc

Fantastic ideas all, keep them coming. I should have bought another ticket for one of you as a travel guide.

We have also been browsing wotif.com for different accomodation and pricing. Any other accom search sites that you recommend? I've got a few links to individual places already. Just chasing a broader search of specials.

We'll probably be based out of Osaka for the first few days atleast. Are there any restaurants/ diners that I must not miss in Osaka? On the cheaper end too.

Thanks again
Risky

Fantastic ideas all, keep them coming. I should have bought another ticket for one of you as a travel guide.

We have also been browsing wotif.com for different accomodation and pricing. Any other accom search sites that you recommend? I've got a few links to individual places already. Just chasing a broader search of specials.

We'll probably be based out of Osaka for the first few days atleast. Are there any restaurants/ diners that I must not miss in Osaka? On the cheaper end too.

Thanks again
Risky

If it were me, I would stay in Kyoto rather than Osaka. its only a short train trip away, and much nicer area. Kobe is another option, close by to Osaka.
With accommodation, I have usually googled "ryokan" and the town that I was going to. There is a ryokan booking website, which I'm sure you'll find if you google it. I've also used octopus travel for asian hotels.

I found out that if you use a travel agent in Japan you can get a good cheap package deal including shinkansen tickets and hotel. eg. I went from Nagoya to Osaka on Shinkansen and had a hotel for 5 days for a cost of about $100 pn for 2 people including train ticket. The hotel was the Nikko in Shinsaibashi too.

One thing I don't like about Japan is the smoking in restaurants! Can't get used to seeing people smoke in doors either. If you don't smoke make sure you ask for a non-smoking room.

I actually prefer to stay in Osaka. Kyoto is good for sightseeing by day, but I think Osaka is a more interesting city at night, and I'd sooner a quick return to my hotel from wherever I am late at night. I have stayed in Kyoto, and been there at night, but I prefer Osaka overall. Cheaper accommodation might be easier to find in Kyoto though.

There are lots and lots and lots of places to eat in Osaka. The Ryugu-tei sushi buffet I mentioned earlier I thought was pretty good, and we ate at another all-you-can-eat buffet near the top of the HEP-5 building in Umeda (near Osaka station). I wouldn't say the food was outstanding by any means, but it filled a hole! For the overnight flight back to the Gold Coast (or Cairns), we don't book meals now. We just stuff our faces late in the day at an all-you-can-eat place and then don't need to eat again until we're home - or maybe just carry a small bento with us.

Someone mentioned izakayas earlier: there are lots of them around, but we never stopped in any because of the cigarette smoke problem. Small restaurants can be like that too. I can't stand cigarette smoke, especially not while I'm eating, but it can be very difficult to avoid in Japan. Smaller restaurants can also be more of a problem to order in if you can't speak or read any Japanese. It can be a little frustrating when they perhaps show a few dishes in the window, but then have a huge menu of stuff covering the walls inside - all written only in Japanese. Fortunately for me my wife reads Chinese, and I can read the kana (when I refresh my memory), so we get by. You can also just point at what someone else is eating. Try some saki (warmed) with a meal too. There's white saki as well as clear, but I prefer the clear.

GP

Don’t forget to visit Japanese convenience store. They are as good as some of restaurants in Melbourne.
9 days…

1.Get JR pass

2.Stay in Kyoto 3 nights

3.Day trip to Osaka from Kyoto. (takes 30 mins by local train.) Try Takoyaki and Okonomiyaki. Wonder around Shinsaibashi.

4.Option to go to Hiroshima. If you go make sure to catch a boat to Miyajima.

5.Another option to go to Takayama (small pretty country town. Has nice beef) but it is a bit off mail rail line. You may need to shorten your stay somewhere if you are going.

6.Go to Tokyo and stay 3-4 nights. See weird people in Harajuku and eat yummy Sushi in Tukiji market. For your kids you can go to Tokyo Disneyland!

Not sure if you are flying out Tokyo thoug

Thanks for the tips all.

I gave Japan a good dig. Did 8 nights with an extra half day.

Did Osaka night 1
Tokyo (Shinjuku) nights 2-3
Shimizu night 4
Osaka nights 5,6,7,8

Used Osaka as a base for trips to Hiroshima and Kyoto.

We got a JR pass and gave the Shinkansen a workout. Unfortunately we stuck to the cities a bit too much but Kyoto was beautiful and a favourite of mine.

I got to the Tsukiji fish markets and got to play the 'me not speak Japanese' line to try and get closer to the Tuna auctions as they were closed for the busy Christmas period.

I enjoyed the food and gave it all a go. It was a new experience for me to order and pay for my food from a vending machine.

Hiroshima Okonomyika is definitely better than at Osaka.

The service, and helpful attitude from the Japanese made the trip for me. As soon as you landed back in the Gold Coast, the service stopped. Lucky it's the norm for us.

Maybe South America next time. I hear that they have nice steaks in Argentina.

Harajuku is so fun. You should spend a day there and meet some of the sword wielders and magicians and gothic maids. But seriously, Tokyo is so fun! If I was Japanese I'd be back there in a heartbeat.

Terry - those bars with Africans bouncers outside in Roppongi are horrendous. When you go down there it's always empty and you know something's wrong. My rule in Asia these days is I never go to places that locals don't go to, and also, I try to avoid places where only American/British 40 year old backpackers hang out.

I think I need a holiday to Japan for a long time.

Thanks for the tips all.

I gave Japan a good dig. Did 8 nights with an extra half day.

Did Osaka night 1
Tokyo (Shinjuku) nights 2-3
Shimizu night 4
Osaka nights 5,6,7,8

Used Osaka as a base for trips to Hiroshima and Kyoto.

We got a JR pass and gave the Shinkansen a workout. Unfortunately we stuck to the cities a bit too much but Kyoto was beautiful and a favourite of mine.

I got to the Tsukiji fish markets and got to play the 'me not speak Japanese' line to try and get closer to the Tuna auctions as they were closed for the busy Christmas period.

I enjoyed the food and gave it all a go. It was a new experience for me to order and pay for my food from a vending machine.

Hiroshima Okonomyika is definitely better than at Osaka.

The service, and helpful attitude from the Japanese made the trip for me. As soon as you landed back in the Gold Coast, the service stopped. Lucky it's the norm for us.

Maybe South America next time. I hear that they have nice steaks in Argentina.

were they still a lot of tourists? how abt the radioactive scares?

were they still a lot of tourists? how abt the radioactive scares?

I'm sure there were alot of tourists but I didn't see many that were in shorts and thongs like me. I saw some U.S. visitors at Maccas in Tokyo as it was a common tourist hangout.

I only got as far up the island as Tokyo, so it looked like business as usual.

Don’t forget to visit Japanese convenience store. They are as good as some of restaurants in Melbourne.
I got a different beer each night on the walk home.

1.Get JR pass
My Shinkansen tickets alone would have cost me $771 AUD without the JR pass

3.Day trip to Osaka from Kyoto. (takes 30 mins by local train.) Try Takoyaki and Okonomiyaki. Wonder around Shinsaibashi.
Went the other way round, Kyoto was nicer, but Osaka worked for us. Hiroshima Okonomiyaki was a winner

4.Option to go to Hiroshima. If you go make sure to catch a boat to Miyajima.
Did the boat trip. Was a beautiful place. Got a few pics with the deer and the water.

6.Go to Tokyo and stay 3-4 nights. See weird people in Harajuku and eat yummy Sushi in Tukiji market.
Got kicked out of the viewing area at 6:00am (closed during december). Bought some sushi down the road.

Make sure you go to a 100Yen shop to stock up.
The misses bought some gloves for the young fella. I stood outside. I only realised that it was 100 Yen shop when the misses told me that all the items cost 100 Yen.

With accommodation, I have usually googled "ryokan" and the town that I was going to
The misses wasn't real keen on the full Japanese experience. Ryokans were out. She ate Maccas most days only venturing out of her comfort zone in the last few days. The bidet made me scream the first time. The misses found it funny.

I was going to have a go at the traditional japanese toilets but pulled out when my strides were down. I got nervous.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Gahahahahahaha! :D

Yeah - always worried about losing balance on those....

The Y-man

I had a malfunction on my recent trip to China..... I probably shouldnt have tried , given that I had a dodgy hip and couldnt squat... but I'm normally reasonably confident on them, and I was busting.
Thats my first time to have a major "accident", and it was major! Fortunately, it was just as we were leaving one centre and moving onto another, so I could go back to the hotel to get changed.

Back