What time do you wake up? How successful are you?

Thanks for the replies. Currently I'm going to bed around 2am and waking up at 8am. I'm not quite eligible for home loans yet lol but having the discipline to save money, when all my peers spend money on fast food, alcohol, cigars, cars, computers, I'm very much there.

I think George Best (Manchester United Star play in the 60s)that said

I spent half my my money on wine, women and song and I wasted the other half : )

ta
rolf

Wake up around 5 -5:30am so I can run or ride to work. Don't talk to me until I've had my endorphin fix for the day.

I'm addicted to exercise too!! If I dont get my rush I am extremely grumpy. Mentally and physically i feel like s***!! Its not just an off feeling I have severe withdrawal symptoms lol :D

When I strained my quad and had to decrease the workload and intensity level I was quite distressed after a couple of days of low/moderate intensity training. Needed the fix badly!!

Thought I would post this here rather than the coffee lounge since it is a bit about psychology. What time do you wake up and how successful are you (measured in portfolio size $)?

Maybe include whether this is a choice, or if work forces you to or what time you did prior to 'retirement'.

Tbh, I'm not expecting any pattern where earlier = bigger portfolio, but how interesting it would be if there was one!

Don't have to disclose personal figures if you don't want, just say 'very successful' or 'very much on my way,' for example. Thanks. :)[/
QUOTE]

I have kept various hours at various times

When I had the Child Care Centre, I opened at 7am and closed at 6pm, had a young family myself and was also on the local Council. Used to go to bed about 1am (on a good day) and get up at 5.30am - and my Centre was open 6 days per week.

I also worked on 1900 lines in the evenings for five years during the period I had my retail shop, and sleep was in short supply then, too. Well,if I'm awake, I may as well be working.

When I was in England during 2008 I worked Australian hours for the whole five months. My years of nocturnal working habits is well established.

Nowadays, I usually work through to about 5am and get up about 11am. Day times are spent somewhat reactionarily (sic), on the phone or researching deals, so after dinner at night is when I get the real work done.

Mike, on the other hand, is in bed by 10am and gone by 7am. We sometimes pass each other on the stairs, me going to bed and him getting up for the day.

How successful are we? Depends on how you view success. We have certainly had our moments, and life has been very interesting. We have fantastic, well balanced adult children and we all like each other, so in the things that really matter, very successful. Financially, we have built our own choices and right now we choose to continue working 'full time' because we each like what we do.

Unfortunately, because I work from home, the first thing I do is to turn on the computer - before I even put on the kettle! But I 'can't wait' to see the emails and as soon as I do, the day is underway. I can literally go days without leaving the house, which is not good but that's the way it is.

So for the past seven years my sleep patterns have been that of a shift worker. This has worked for us and with only a few exceptions we have been happy with these arrangements.

For someone to be 'successful' I think there has to be more effort than just a 35 hour working week. That effort will be up to the individual, whether it be further study, a part time job, investments which require active participation or whatever. I am not sure that sleeping patterns have much to do with success, perhaps it is more to do with what you can cram into your day rather than when your day is.

Night shift suits me, day shift suits Mike. There is always someone 'On The Watch'. We make a good team.

Cheers

Kristine

Go to bed about 11:30pm most days, get up about 7am... by choice/design rather than necessity.

I guess I would say I am on way, but almost there.

My sleep patterns are all over the place.

Some nights go to bed 2330 hours up at 0700 hours.
Some nights go to bed 2130 hours up at 0700 hours
Other nights go to bed 2100 hours up at 0445 hours.
Last night sleep 0030 hours to 0430 hours and now play catch up for a few hours during the day. Will do the same tonight/tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thought I would post this here rather than the coffee lounge since it is a bit about psychology. What time do you wake up and how successful are you (measured in portfolio size $)?

Maybe include whether this is a choice, or if work forces you to or what time you did prior to 'retirement'.

Tbh, I'm not expecting any pattern where earlier = bigger portfolio, but how interesting it would be if there was one!

Don't have to disclose personal figures if you don't want, just say 'very successful' or 'very much on my way,' for example. Thanks. :)

On the 'waking up' issue-it can depend. Much of my 'work' at the moment depends upon weather conditions, so I am in early morning start mode, (can be 0500hrs to 0600hrs) a break of sorts during the day, then back into more work late afternoons, until evening light finishes.

To add to that, yes, it is all 'by my choice', I do what I love and happen to love that what I do....

'Successful' to me is that I have the opportunity to make my own choices in life, am independent/self reliant in many aspects. I would say I have had that 'success'? from as long as I remember. I do my own thing. Now that might be able to be measured in a financial means, or psychology determined, strength of creativeness, determination...or a bit of all that. Investing in property will assist me in greater financial independence, but if I didn't enjoy it, the challenge, the learning, the doing, the oops's...I would not be engaged in any of this.

I do like, generally speaking, when possible, to get 8 hours sleep a night, but it's no biggy.

Grain growing is something that a lot of the jobs can't be done early. About the only thing is spraying in the middle of summer where it's best to do in the cool. So I generally are not an early riser unless I have some summer weed spaying to do.

Wake at 6 am. Get coffees for me and the misses and have a look on the net. Dressed by 7 am. Walk to work [100 metres away] at 8.30 am.

I need a lot of sleep. 8 hours is good. At wheat harvest in December we might work till 10 pm, or sorghum planting in November I might plant until midnight, but this is not often. Average bedtime would be 10 or 11 pm.

See ya's.

Don't have to disclose personal figures if you don't want, just say 'very successful' or 'very much on my way,' for example. Thanks. :)

What time do bakers get up each morning and how successful are they all ;)

“Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise” – Ben Franklin

“Put no trust in the benefits to accrue from early rising, as set forth by the infatuated Franklin …” – Mark Twain

I'm usually up at around 4:30 AM most morning by choice

I'm only sleeping about 2 hours a night and I'm not really seeing the benefits.

The rest of the time I'm spending on a new project that I've undertaken. So far I've been constantly throwing money into it and have yet to get any back.

Better go, time for another nappy change.

RC

Thought I would post this here rather than the coffee lounge since it is a bit about psychology. What time do you wake up and how successful are you :)
Maybe look back on some on the posts about successful people that have posted in this site over the years and study the way they think,one line in a post always stands out to me,Success is a state of mind ,,and success to me is more then money,success lets you do what other can't do with their free time and that's what successful people have "Time"you can have all the money you want but try and buy time..

I wake up half an hour before I go to sleep and live in a shoe box in the middle of the road.

We 'ad it toof!

But seriously, I have been an early riser my whole life and don't know why; to my annoyance. Drives me mad.

It worked well whilst working in golf proshops where golfers are out there at the crack of dawn and the shop needs to open then, but now I don't need to get up early and still wake up circa 5.30am most days.

Does it have any relevence to your wealth? I don't think so.

Success is - from my observation - all in the person's mindset.

In my life and choices of work, I have seen a pattern that people who are lazy in their life are lazy in almost every aspect of their life, and are usually broke as well.

They simply don't do the hard yards in anything to do well; pick whatever aspect you like.

They follow the path of least resistence, and from what I've seen, the wealthy don't follow that path.

Maybe look back on some on the posts about successful people that have posted in this site over the years and study the way they think,one line in a post always stands out to me,Success is a state of mind ,,and success to me is more then money,success lets you do what other can't do with their free time and that's what successful people have "Time"you can have all the money you want but try and buy time..

But the money accumualted succesfully is probably why the person ahs time to spare that others don't.

The money they accumulated allwos them to do things with their time that other can't afford to to.

I'm only sleeping about 2 hours a night and I'm not really seeing the benefits.

The rest of the time I'm spending on a new project that I've undertaken. So far I've been constantly throwing money into it and have yet to get any back.

Better go, time for another nappy change.

RC

Ha ha I know what you mean. Had a couple of those projects 6 years ago myself and it's still costing me money.

At least I'm getting more than a couple of hours sleep now.

In my life and choices of work, I have seen a pattern that people who are lazy in their life are lazy in almost every aspect of their life, and are usually broke as well.

They simply don't do the hard yards in anything to do well; pick whatever aspect you like.

They follow the path of least resistence, and from what I've seen, the wealthy don't follow that path.

Top stuff Marc, nicely written. I'd enjoy sitting around a table having a beer or two with you. We seem to be on the same track.

Does it have any relevence to your wealth? I don't think so.

Good observation. Does not smoking make you wealthy, successful and happy? Does rising early do the same? Most likely not, but they seem to be predictors or indicators of how people do life.

I get up at 5am at least 2 mornings a week to go to the gym. Does that make me wealthy? Probably not, but it keeps me healthy in mind and body and better able to enjoy life, regardless of how much or little wealth I have.

Back