What time do you wake up? How successful are you?

At the moment im going through a bit of a lull.

I struggle to roll out of bed at 7:15am to get to work by 8:00am.

Every night before I go to bed I think to myself, "Ok, tomorrow ill get up when the alarm goes off at 6:30am and have a nice breakfast and at least go outside for a 10min walk"... When morning comes I hit the snooze button until I feel im going to be late for work and then roll out of bed, quickly have a wash, put on my suit, skull a mouth full of what ever drink is in the fridge then get in the car to make it to work at 8:00am where I usually dont get to have lunch until 1:00pm and make do with 4-5 cups of coffee.

Its a cycle I need to get out of and I do believe is holding me back from the road to success. I think that it is my over weight body and bad habits to blame. Also being undecided on what I want out of my career does not help with the lack of motivation in the mornings.

How successful am I? If I gave up work tomorrow we would last maybe a month before we had no money left. We have a while to go before we are financially successful.

Cheers, Mick

Mick, Mick, Mick.....I am gunna come over and cook you a decent breakfast Monday morning if you don't get up and do it, and I warn you, me at 0630 hrs is not the prettiest site...

Gotta start taking care of yourself man!

For sure, success is what you make it. If spending all your hard-earned income on one passion makes you happy, then that is success. I have a passion for property, designing houses, technology and travel. I figured having income from property to spend on technology and travel, then that is the best of both worlds and that is my success. It just takes a hefty sacrifice now to reap the benefits later.

You cannot measure someone else's level of success. You can however measure your own.

For instance, one could keep trading up to a bigger, more expensive home and consider that 'success' And I would too because I think most of us would love a dream home if we suddenly won lotto, but sadly most won't win lotto and have to keep working to make it that far.
Or, your idea of success may be simply to have the ability to keep living like you do with the income you had from working. That's pretty darn successful if you ask me because there aint' many 30-40 year olds who can say that.

I still would like that dream home though.. :D

Success would be:

- Party til 5am every day with models and bottles
- Wake up at 3pm for a brunch, then go collect your $50k in rent for the day.

Success would be:

Sounds like a recipe for burnout

I'd like the choice to be able to do that,

and then choose to do something else instead.

Success would be:

I have yet to meet a truely successful person who had that attitude towards life and achieved his/her success.

May be you are going to be the exception. Only time will tell.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Success is - from my observation - all in the person's mindset.

In my life and choices of work, I have seen a pattern that people who are lazy in their life are lazy in almost every aspect of their life, and are usually broke as well.

They simply don't do the hard yards in anything to do well; pick whatever aspect you like.

They follow the path of least resistence, and from what I've seen, the wealthy don't follow that path.

Success usually comes to people who have a burning desire to achieve success.

Things like laziness becomes a non-issue when you have developed the burning desire that the brain is automatically trained not to complain with whatever you tell it that needs to be done to achieve success. That could be waking up early or working long hours or improving your skills at work etc etc.

I know a few people who you would consider lazy for most things in life but they are quite successful and never let their laziness come in the way of their success due to the burning desire they have developed.

Cheers,
Oracle.

I have yet to meet a truely successful person who had that attitude towards life and achieved his/her success.

May be you are going to be the exception. Only time will tell.

Cheers,
Oracle.

I've met someone close, but not quite. So this person's age is roughly early-mid 30s. Goes out at 6pm drinking with models and bottles. Has dinner around 9pm. Throws lavish parties til around 1-2am everynight with models and bottles. Sleeps at 2:30am or so. Goes to work at around 10am or 11am, leaves at 2pm or 3pm.

On weekends the parties start at 11pm and end around 6am.

Single-handedly made it himself too.

Not filthy $100m+ wealthy, but income somewhere between high 7 digits and low 8 digits, only very recently though.

yeah still sonds like a recipe fior burnout

I'd like the chocie to be able to, and then choose to do something more retrained instead.

Seeing friends and family outside of drunken parties might be good once in a while too.

Not filthy $100m+ wealthy, but income somewhere between high 7 digits and low 8 digits, only very recently though.

Well it depends on how that income is derived. If it's from working for someone rather then passive than it's not truely wealthy in my books.

Your lifestyle is tied to you trading your time to earn a living. Your lifestyle can drastically change if you lose your job or the industry no longer pays top dollars.

But if it is passive income from investments I am sure most of us would love to hear his story to learn a thing or two.

Cheers,
Oracle.

knowing someone rich and successful is different as opposed to claiming the bragging rights for yourself.

I would presume many people know people who are rich. I have a someone who makes millions. Owns a freaking shipping port overseas and buys property in melbourne as if he was changing clothes. Got another person who owns a cattle ranch in perth and trades gold bullion. all these guys get up like 6am everyday to read the financial news and watch the news on TV. You look at sportspeople like michael jordan - during the days when he was at his peak - he would be the 1st and the last out of the gym.

My view on success if able to travel business or 1st class whenever i wish to go. although i am basically doing it now (through churning points from my AMEX from property purchases and reno materials) - hopefully they'll be a time i can do it without using my points.

I'd just like to add that I am no longer in the rat race. No boss for me, no one telling me what to do. And I find that I wake up earlier, have more energy, even without a 'job' to force me to wake up each day. I love it

My view on success if able to travel business or 1st class whenever i wish to go.

Completely agree with this. I’ll consider myself wealthy / successful when I don’t have to think twice about flying business class everywhere or crunching the numbers on a new car purchase to workout a deal, just buy what I want.

Spending money on magnums of vintage veuve to get a couple of hookers drunk is not what I consider wealthy / successful behaviour, more of a ‘I never got any when I was young so I’ll just buy it now’ behaviour.

Well it depends on how that income is derived. If it's from working for someone rather then passive than it's not truely wealthy in my books.

Your lifestyle is tied to you trading your time to earn a living. Your lifestyle can drastically change if you lose your job or the industry no longer pays top dollars.

But if it is passive income from investments I am sure most of us would love to hear his story to learn a thing or two.

Cheers,
Oracle.

How would you put it - so, it is income from what would ordinarily be passive investments for mums and dads (esp to relatively ordinary people like the one I responded to just then), but the money comes from other people and requires active management.

I'd just like to add that I am no longer in the rat race. No boss for me, no one telling me what to do. And I find that I wake up earlier, have more energy, even without a 'job' to force me to wake up each day. I love it

Congrats, you'll be joining the new league now! Looking forward to joining you

Completely agree with this. I’ll consider myself wealthy / successful when I don’t have to think twice about flying business class everywhere or crunching the numbers on a new car purchase to workout a deal, just buy what I want.

Spending money on magnums of vintage veuve to get a couple of hookers drunk is not what I consider wealthy / successful behaviour, more of a ‘I never got any when I was young so I’ll just buy it now’ behaviour.

Sooo.... you got business-class flights and new cars when you were young?

Back