What time do you wake up? How successful are you?

5am latest, 7 days.

And I go to bed when I need to (which varies dramatically).

I have an alarm app on my phone that wakes me up when I'm in a light stage of sleep so it starts "keeping an eye out" at 4am and once I'm out of REM, off goes the alarm whether that's 4:01am, 5:00am or somewhere in between.

That's awesome Richard, I'd love to get up consistently that early.
How does your alarm app work and sense your sleep?

I find the more successful I want to be, the easier I can get up early, which is quite frequently in recent times.

That's awesome Richard, I'd love to get up consistently that early.
How does your alarm app work and sense your sleep?

I find the more successful I want to be, the easier I can get up early, which is quite frequently in recent times.

Sleep Cycle

I place my phone face-down in in a top corner of my bed. It has an accelerometer (or something like that) in it which knows how the phone is oriented in three dimensions. The gentlest breathing will register movement and the patterns humans exhibit during sleep are pretty cyclical. It also tracks stuff like quality of sleep and a few other metrics. Even takes my pulse when I wake up.

Best $2 I have spent on an app*, easily.

Doesn't work so well if you're not sleeping solo, though.

*The best $5 was Star Walk.

Like Rixter if I had only 5 hours sleep or less, I may occasionally catch up during the day, then later at night I may become more productive.

MIW,how time fly's.....I posted that 4 years ago. :eek:

Now days I'm fully in rat race exit mode...and get 8+ hours sleep a night :)

MIW,how time fly's.....I posted that 4 years ago. :eek:

Now days I'm fully in rat race exit mode...and get 8+ hours sleep a night :)

You are funny, I plan to get those 9 hours I need, I promised myself to go before midnight, yet I am still on this forum, why?:D

I plan to get those 9 hours I need, I promised myself to go before midnight, yet I am still on this forum, why?:D

You've created the habit of doing so, however the good news is you can create a new habit by pushing yourself to go to bed earlier.... It only takes 21 days or nights! ;)

Hi Guys

Great topic... I wake up at 5am every morning as my wife and I walk our 3 dogs every days. Its a good way to start the morning....
We get to eat breakfast together every morning nice and calmly.

My days are so organised that every minute of the day is used productively.

Some times I am in bed by 10:30 and some times at 3am lol.

My days are so organised that every minute of the day is used productively.
I'm struggling to understand how getting up early helps to do the day activities more efficiently if both groups sleep same amount of time.
Having said that, probably we are supposed to align with the 'sun clock'. So... staying up late is somewhat unnatural.

I'm struggling to understand how getting up early helps to do the day activities more efficiently if both groups sleep same amount of time.
Having said that, probably we are supposed to align with the 'sun clock'. So... staying up late is somewhat unnatural.

I think it depends on the person, My wife and I love waking up early as we get to go for long walks every morning and its a great way to start the day.

I also do allot of email follows up before 9am where i do not get allot of calls coming through.

And if i stay up late when most people are asleep it gives me time to think about the business, comming up with new ideas "etc".

Wouldn't it be better if you do this before 12 the night before?
You can expect an answer by the time you start the next day.

Isn't it better to think about your new ideas and then sleep on it?

I try not to think about business at night these days. Ends up eating up too much time and cutting into sleep, plus keeping me awake thinking about it all. Better for my work/life balance as well. If I'm not strict with myself I can easily think of business 24/7 like I used to and fall into old habits. Not a healthy lifestyle and creates a poor balance with personal health, relationships etc suffering.

These days I'm generally up at 4:15am. Get into the gym at 5:20am with or without my training partner, get to work around 7am and have about 60-90 mins without phone calls etc. which is a great time to get a lot of work done uninterrupted as jpcashflow said.

Sleep in on Sat/Sun till 5:45am before heading to the gym for a 6:45am session.

My wake up times are reasonable, my girlfriend will often wake up at 3:15-3:45 during the week to fit her morning routine in, though she'll never sleep past 4:15 on a weekday.

5am latest, 7 days.

And I go to bed when I need to (which varies dramatically).

I have an alarm app on my phone that wakes me up when I'm in a light stage of sleep so it starts "keeping an eye out" at 4am and once I'm out of REM, off goes the alarm whether that's 4:01am, 5:00am or somewhere in between.
Will check out the app. Alarm clocks are counter-productive to my morning defiance. Life would be much easier with an early start.

is that right tho? with the use of fire we were able to chill out, drag a woman into a cave or stare at the stars without having to worry about being eaten by a tiger

The reasons are numerous but to save time, I will simply leave you with a question to ponder.

Are you more likely to exercise/work on a personal project/read/meditate/do something else that's important but easy to neglect:

- At the start of your day OR
- After work and other stuff

is that right tho? with the use of fire we were able to chill out, drag a woman into a cave or stare at the stars without having to worry about being eaten by a tiger
I think since we discovered fire some of us have been staying up late. There's lots of research on morning people and night owls. I used to think that morning people ruled the world but now I spend my evenings plotting there demise... ;)

I'm a night owl and embrace staying up late. I'm more productive after dark and can get a lot done in a short amount of time. I think part of it is that I am subversive and I see it as an act of defiance. Partly, I don't want to sleep because it means I will miss out. I think it's something that night owls get but morning people never will. In terms of a job and meeting my investment goals, I see myself as successful. I disagree that morning people are more sucessful. I think it would depend on your job. If your job requires you to be creative, perhaps a little subversive and maybe even a little bit defiant, you'll probably be more sucessful if you are a night owl. Enough rambling, here's a nice quote to sum it up:

Nighttime is mysterious and interesting and romantic and dangerous. I don?t want to miss out on it. There?s always possibility after dark that just isn?t there during the day. People are more daring, their inhibitions are lowered. No great story ever started with ?So, I went to bed early? ?
http://driftingthrough.com/2014/07/10/night-owls-rule-and-morning-people-suck/

Are you more likely to exercise/work on a personal project/read/meditate/do something else that's important but easy to neglect:

- At the start of your day OR
- After work and other stuff
Besides riding to work, I never exercise in the morning. I hate it. I love to exercise after work to wind down at the end of the day. I have to be feeling very off to miss an exercise session.

Back