What time do you wake up? How successful are you?

Intelligent People All Have One Thing In Common: They Stay Up Later Than You

According to ?Psychology Today,? intelligent people are more likely to be nocturnal than people with lower IQ scores. In a study run on young Americans, results showed that intelligent individuals went to bed later on weeknights and weekends than their less intelligent counterparts.
http://elitedaily.com/life/culture/night-owls-creative-intelligent/686025/

Sums up nicely how I feel about being a night owl:

Staying up late has been, and always will be, an act of rebellion. A defiance of the nine-to-five, the very habit of staying up late is revolutionary.

I also agree with the "challenge authority" part... although this attitude has gotten me in trouble in the past... ;)

Obviously this is anecdotal and night owls will disagree based on their own experience, and that's fair enough.

But throughout all the books, articles, interviews etc I have read over the years - as a GENERALISATION, the more successful, wealthy, spiritually minded people are early risers.

Now of course there will be exceptions, but as I said - if one had to generalise en masse as to the more successful populace, I believe it would have to be handed to the early risers.

Yes, there are plenty of successful people who work late into the night, but out of these (from my reading), most would also rise early too and just be functioning on little sleep. I don't recall many instances of success stories starting with "slept in until 11am every morning, then worked his @r$e of till 5am non-stop." Yes it does happen, but it is a MUCH lower percentage than the alternative early risers.

At the end of the day, everyone does what works best for them.

Cause-and-Effect

May be the successful people have more drive so they get up early. It may not be fair to associate their success to getting up early.

Has the reverse been proven?

Back