What time should you have breakfast?

I have been skeptical about the alleged importance of breakfast for a while now.

I know all the health gurus have labelled it as "the most important meal of the day" but "importance is measured by so many ambiguous things and different people have different view points on "why" it's so important.

My point is, if you are not hungry first thing in the morning then how can going against your natural instincts be good for you?

I can do a latte around 10 am but that is usually it for me. I normally don't actually work up an appetite to eat anything until 1 or 2 pm in the afternoon - then I eat like a horse! :)

I've tried many times to break that habit on the advise of well intended health gurus but find myself eating for the sake of eating and there is no enjoyment in it that way.

Also, I only like real food (meat and vegetables)- can't do things like cereals soaked in milk or toast - that's eating junk food for the sake of calling it "breakfast'

I have never had a weight problem and I'm reasonably fit so can't be that wrong?

What do others do?

My point is, if you are not hungry first thing in the morning then how can going against your natural instincts be good for you?

My natural instinct is to stuff myself with chocolate and chips.

We're cavemen at heart. Wouldn't trust those instincts.

When i was working a coupla smokes and a few cans of coke around 6 in the morning was the go..............for many years.

Hi Xenia, if you are healthy, then you must be doing "something right" (sorry for the poor grammar). If what you are currently doing works, then that is fine. We all have our own individual metabolisms. I too cannot eat anything carby or sugary before work, I go hypo less than two hours later.

It's all about habit for me. I Started the habit to eat around 7 in the morning, and after a while I gets hungry by that time. Same with lunch, after a certain time my stomach will start calling.

If you are healthy and don't feel like you need to change, then don't

When i was working a coupla smokes and a few cans of coke around 6 in the morning was the go..............for many years.

mixed in with a Mars bar, coz it was good balance :) for me, and the coupla a smokes was port royal.

Lucky I had someone teach my bout Type 2 diabetes.

ta
rolf

I have been skeptical about the alleged importance of breakfast for a while now.

What do others do?

I have 2 cups of coffee gives me my buzz each morning as I am not hungry. Never really got the full on breakfast, this is Anglo Saxon thing.
In Italy its coffee and a couple of biscuits, certainly not a full on main meal similar to other southern euro countries, not saying its right or wrong, no idea

Well we in oz are doing it tough cos we are getting fatter every year, perhaps we need to give the bacon and eggs away;)

1379677_676834762357524_259476758_n.jpg

This is only illustrating an Endo vs Meso.

While I agree with you, I think that there's probably some correlation as shown in the picture.

Many "busy" people won't have much breakfast or just a doughnut and coffee, then grab a mouthful of something for lunch in between meetings and then finally an entire family meal from Maccas for dinner.

Obviously correlation does not prove causation and I don't think that being overweight would be caused by the times people eat (though it is caused by the total amount they eat and exercise).

Personally, I fast on work days until after work, when I consume my ~3000 calories in a four hour window. Many people seem to think that that's bad for you, but the evidence seems to be pointing the other direction. Mice live up to 40% longer on an intermittent feeding regime.
And while I doubt that it would be 40% in humans, even if it's an extra healthy year or two, it'd definitely worth it.

There's a good video on intermittent fasting by Dr Michael Morsely. It's a different type to what I'm doing, but the principles behind it are the same.

Personally I have found maintaining healthy weight and functional strength much easier when I have a regular healthy breakfast. Don't forget to drink water at breakfast also.

I have 2 cups of coffee gives me my buzz each morning as I am not hungry. Never really got the full on breakfast, this is Anglo Saxon thing.
In Italy its coffee and a couple of biscuits, certainly not a full on main meal similar to other southern euro countries, not saying its right or wrong, no idea

Well we in oz are doing it tough cos we are getting fatter every year, perhaps we need to give the bacon and eggs away;)

You're right M - not really within the European culture.
We eat all the fat later in the day - and still fairly slim. :)

Well ...... I'm much fatter now but I don't care, still slim compared to Australians.
53kg and 5ft 4 - kind of average isn't it???

You're right M - not really within the European culture.
We eat all the fat later in the day - and still fairly slim. :)

Well ...... I'm much fatter now but I don't care, still slim compared to Australians.
53kg and 5ft 4 - kind of average isn't it???

That is great, slim IMO, good for you:)

I am within BMI range, but I have to continually watch my weight because I am into food and wine and DH a foodie, its tough, I put on weight just watching cooking shows:p

Back