What time should you have breakfast?

You're right M - not really within the European culture.
We eat all the fat later in the day - and still fairly slim. :)

Well ...... I'm much fatter now but I don't care, still slim compared to Australians.
53kg and 5ft 4 - kind of average isn't it???

If that's the case my 9yo daughter is bigger than you!

pinkboy

I think it is whatever works for you (within reason)... I am ravenous when I wake up in the morning but eat relatively small amounts for lunch/dinner compared to others.

The days I am not hungry I will just have a coffee for breakfast and maybe a small piece of fruit or toast. If that is the case then I tend to eat lunch earlier and more of it.

For me the main thing is everything in moderation and a focus on how I am feeling (activity and health) rather than focus on weight and BMI figures.
I find when I exercise more I need to eat more as well to fuel those workouts and muscle repair.

Depends!

If I am up at 4 am, then Nothing will go in or stay in...
9 am I can eat a full greasy 'what ever' if it is cold weather,
At the moment, late Summer anything with fat wont tempt me , so its Cereal and milk and a shot of coffee!

I have breakfast around 6.30am-ish on weekdays. If I'm a bit lazy, I'll have toast with Nutella, jam, peanut butter or cream cheese. Otherwise, I'll make a grilled haloumi cheese sandwich with tomato. I don't drink coffee but may have a hot chocolate when I arrive at work. For weekends, it depends on what I feel like but recently I've been in a poached eggs mood. :)

I have breakfast around 6.30am-ish on weekdays. If I'm a bit lazy, I'll have toast with Nutella, jam, peanut butter or cream cheese. Otherwise, I'll make a grilled haloumi cheese sandwich with tomato. I don't drink coffee but may have a hot chocolate when I arrive at work. For weekends, it depends on what I feel like but recently I've been in a poached eggs mood. :)

This all sounds really yummy, I would have all this - just not at 6:30 am - more like 12pm :)

Had a banana this morning 8:30am on the way to work. Then an iced coffee. That's capacity until I get really hungry again.

I do have 1-2 Lt of water in the morning however, it's a life long habit.

I love food, love cooking, love going out and I eat like a real wog - lots and everything is deep fried or very high fat content LOL. But can't do it if I am not hungry - just won't go there.

I have been skeptical about the alleged importance of breakfast for a while now.

I know all the health gurus have labelled it as "the most important meal of the day" but "importance is measured by so many ambiguous things and different people have different view points on "why" it's so important.
More recent research indicates that skipping breakfast helps reduce weight.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/heal...fast-helps-reduce-weight-20141021-119g40.html

Of course it would not work if you skipped breakfast and then pigged out for the rest of the day. If you overeat, your still going to get fat.

What do others do?
I am a breakfast skipper. My usual routine is to skip breakfast on Tuesday, Thursday and on the weekends. I have recently taken up eating breakfast around 9:30 - 10:00 on Mon, Wed and Fri, just because I am so hungry from an additional exercise load. Prior to that there was no way I was going to eat until I felt hungry, around lunch time.

P.S. I forgot to add that I have an awesome breakfast now: diced sweet potato, stir fried in coconut oil, add coconut milk and a little seasoning. I eat that cold out of the fridge and it is SO good.

Last edited:
That is great, slim IMO, good for you:)

I am within BMI range, but I have to continually watch my weight because I am into food and wine and DH a foodie, its tough, I put on weight just watching cooking shows:p

Thanks MTR
I was very thin - 43kg 15 years ago when I first got married, 15 years and 3 kids later gaining 10 kg is not really that bad for someone who is not really into the health fitness - counting calaries scene.

Went from size 6 to 10!! Could be worse I guess!

Porridge or muesli for me with some fruit and or yogurt plus some toast and a cup of black tea . Not that instant rolled oats porridge either and cooked on a stove . No microwave porridge . That's just wrong !

Don't bother much with lunch , just another cup of tea and read the paper for a while then get back to it .

Thanks MTR
I was very thin - 43kg 15 years ago when I first got married, 15 years and 3 kids later gaining 10 kg is not really that bad for someone who is not really into the health fitness - counting calaries scene.

Went from size 6 to 10!! Could be worse I guess!

My sister is tiny too. She's always eaten like a bird at meal time (meat and veg) and she's doing just fine. She's put on a bit more now. Considering how much ice-cream and how many cakes and jellybeans she eats, she's amazing. (Not to mention the coffee).

Well ...... I'm much fatter now but I don't care, still slim compared to Australians.

Xenia you anorexic!, I'm 56 kg and I'm positively obese compared to what I used to be pre-antidepressants.

I'm 5'1 and 51 kg...so average like you.

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.
We have breakfast as soon as we get up.

Lunch is around 12:30- 1:00

Dinner is around 5:30

Snack is 8-9 pm

I eat when I am hungry, and stop when I am full.
I don't even try to finish my meal, if I am full.

Xenia,
All the 'rules' seem to be thrown out the window now.
As long as you don't eat more calories than you burn, all is good.

Technically, breakfast is your first meal of the day, regardless of what time it is.

Technically, breakfast is your first meal of the day, regardless of what time it is.
I don't believe breakfast has to be in the morning.

I don't believe breakfast has to be in the morning.

Trying to get the post count up? :p

I'll have a tea & some toast. That's about it.

Back