What to ask/look for at inspection?

Hiya folks,

Hubby and I are inspecting a strata retail space tomorrow. What sort of questions should we be asking? We have no experience with commercial property. I know with resi you need to ask about strata fees, sinking funds, etc., is it the same with commercial?

Cheers, Luce

Hi Luce,

is it a leased investment or vacant possession?

What are the terms of the lease (if any)? Is it gross/nett?

Run all of your usual checks on the strata.

If the property is tenanted, who owns the fitout? Under what terms?

For more, check your PMs

SNM

Also ask for:

- a rental history on the property with the relevant terms noted.

- plans of the site as you walk around so you have a clear understanding what you are purchasing

- look at parking availability

- walk around the area and take note of what types of property surround the one you are inspecting and whether there are any vacancies

- review council zoning and what can and cannot be undertaken

Thanks guys. We've been down to the council already and the zoning is fine.

It's more that I don't know about buying costs and running costs on commercial property. Things like gst, and how the strata fees work, etc. If our roof gets a leak do we pay for it or is it a body corporate issue? How much money should I expect the body corporate to have in a sinking fund? Do I need to know if the building has public liability insurance or something?? I just have no idea about commercial property. At all.

Thanks guys. We've been down to the council already and the zoning is fine.

It's more that I don't know about buying costs and running costs on commercial property. Things like gst, and how the strata fees work, etc. If our roof gets a leak do we pay for it or is it a body corporate issue? How much money should I expect the body corporate to have in a sinking fund? Do I need to know if the building has public liability insurance or something?? I just have no idea about commercial property. At all.

Like all strata plans, remember to:

Look at the Strata Search report as it should include:
?the financial status of the scheme
?pending building works
?special levies
?past works history
?all expenses for the past two years
?10-year budget analysis
?general information on:
◦insurances
◦by-laws
◦any disputes
◦any other areas under investigation

Ask questions such as:
?Is the building adequately insured?
?Is there a recent building valuation to support amount of insurance?
?Does the Strata Scheme have an adequate sinking fund, taking into account the age of the building, the current state of repair and the type of construction?
?What are the levies and can I afford them?
?Are there any special levies planned or recently discussed?
?Are there any outstanding building works, unpaid invoices, etc that could result in a special levy?
?Is the annual sinking fund allocation adequate?
?What are the current balances in the Administrative and Sinking Fund account?
?Are there any current or proposed litigation matters involving the Owners Corporation?
?Are there any limitations or restrictions on the use of common property which may affect me?
?Are there any outstanding public liability claims involving the Owners Corporation?
?Have any alterations to the unit been approved by the Owners Corporation?
for example: the installation of an air conditioning unit

Gook luck.

Does $800 a month in strata fees sound high? The shop is in a large regional town (Bathurst - where we live at the moment). I know for resi that would be high, but I have no idea about commercial.

It depends upon what it is being spent on - how much is insurance, common area services (power, water, cleaning, security, grease trap etc)? Size of premises?

What are your other costs? Council, separately metered water charges, , land tax, centre management etc?

What is the rental achievable ($/m2 nett), what does it include in the recoverables?

Bah, looks like change of use needs a DA which triggers accessibility codes which means we would need to put in ramps and an ambulant toilet. Which pretty much kills the terrace, the floor plan, and makes the space a lot less attractive as the tiny wine bar we wanted to do :(

Back