What to buy with $70k-$80k

Hi Guys,

I am stuck for what to buy next. I currently own a house in Wallan, which is tenanted. I have increased the LVR to 80% and along with savings can spend about $70k-$80k on another purchase.
With the Wallan house at 80% LVR it puts $50 a week in my pocket after agents fees.

There are two main options I am thinking about doing and would like some feedback/advice on each;

1. I build 2 house and land packages at 90% LVR. I've done some research and people seem to be talking about Melton as a growing hub. I could get a 4 bedroom house, 2 cars, 2 bathrooms on a reasonable size block for under $350k.
I'd build another one of similar size and value in Epping/Doreen.

Pros:
2 houses (diversification).
Great depreciation.
Affordable.
Good yield.
Stamp duty savings by building.
Possible discount through volume builder by doing 2.

Cons:
Poor growth in outer suburbs.

2. Or I build a townhouse around Essendon/Moonee Ponds. Which is where I want to live eventually. So this has a bit of emotional attachment to it. I could build (to save stamp duty), then rent it out for a few years, and move into it in a few years when I can more afford it.

Pros:
Good capital growth.
Good depreciation.
Turn it into a PPOR eventually.

Cons:
Average yield.
Pushing my budget.

A bit of background about me; I am 27, and I was living in my current IP with my girlfriend. We have since broken up and I have moved back home. I don't want to be at home for too much longer, I will probably rent an apartment around Essendon next year. I want this next step to be a smart move to help me set up my financial future. I can stay at home a little longer if I need to (during construction or if a property in too negatively geared), but once I move out again, I do not want to go back, so I would need my portfolio to be manageable with me renting elsewhere.

What would you do with $70k-$80k if you were in my position? Are there any better options I am overlooking?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I am stuck for what to buy next. I currently own a house in Wallan, which is tenanted. I have increased the LVR to 80% and along with savings can spend about $70k-$80k on another purchase.
With the Wallan house at 80% LVR it puts $50 a week in my pocket after agents fees.

There are two main options I am thinking about doing and would like some feedback/advice on each;

1. I build 2 house and land packages at 90% LVR. I've done some research and people seem to be talking about Melton as a growing hub. I could get a 4 bedroom house, 2 cars, 2 bathrooms on a reasonable size block for under $350k.
I'd build another one of similar size and value in Epping/Doreen.

Pros:
2 houses (diversification).
Great depreciation.
Affordable.
Good yield.
Possible discount through volume builder by doing 2.

Cons:
Poor growth in outer suburbs.

2. Or I build a townhouse around Essendon/Moonee Ponds. Which is where I want to live eventually. So this has a bit of emotional attachment to it. I could build (to save stamp duty), then rent it out for a few years, and move into it in a few years when I can more afford it.

Pros:
Good capital growth.
Good depreciation.
Turn it into a PPOR eventually.

Cons:
Average yield.
Pushing my budget.

A bit of background about me; I am 27, and I was living in my current IP with my girlfriend. We have since broken up and I have moved back home. I don't want to be at home for too much longer, I will probably rent an apartment around Essendon next year. I want this next step to be a smart move to help me set up my financial future. I can stay at home a little longer if I need to (during construction or if a property in too negatively geared), but once I move out again, I do not want to go back, so I would need my portfolio to be manageable with me renting elsewhere.

What would you do with $70k-$80k if you were in my position? Are there any better options I am overlooking?

Thanks

Stop building/ buying on greenfield sites

Supply and demand is the key - those suburbs have endless supply and all the demand is from the lower end of the market

Your chances of good growth in the near term would be very slim.

Reason why - in 10 years time will jo blogs buy your 10 year old house in an estate with no infrastructure or will he build a new house for the same price in the newly opened estate next to or behind yours which also has no infrastructure

Thanks for the reply.

I understand growth will not be as good as an inner suburb, but I can have 2 properties, neutrally geared (easy to manage) as opposed to 1 property negatively geared (restricts lifestyle and future borrowing).

I would love to build a townhouse around Essendon (Moonee Ponds, Strathmore etc.), which is really pushing my budget, at a 90% LVR also, and will be negatively geared. To be honest, I am leaning this way, but I am concerned I am being a little emotional as I want to live in this area eventually.

I want someone with fresh eyes, and more experience to tell me the best decision.

Should I look at apartments around Essendon off the plan or something?

What would you do in my position?

How are you going to build 1 townhouse

In all honesty I don't see much point investig in melbourne. Sure the good suburbs are solid investments but the holding costs are too high for those on low incomes and I can't justify buying a house in the outer ring for 400k. That's why we bought a house on a1300sqm block in a decent suburb in Brisbane for 370. I see far more potential in this than a new house on a small block in Melton

Reason why - in 10 years time will jo blogs buy your 10 year old house in an estate with no infrastructure or will he build a new house for the same price in the newly opened estate next to or behind yours which also has no infrastructure
He has a brother in law;

Joe Thong. :D

He has a brother in law;

Joe Thong. :D

Lol

To the op- diversify assets At 27 your life will change. Have liquid investments like stocks- access to money quickly whthout much fuss. You already have property for long term. Id just park your money in an index fund or ETFs such as mid caps or tech or energy or health. Ie a growth Etf-plenty around.

How are you going to build 1 townhouse

In all honesty I don't see much point investig in melbourne. Sure the good suburbs are solid investments but the holding costs are too high for those on low incomes and I can't justify buying a house in the outer ring for 400k. That's why we bought a house on a1300sqm block in a decent suburb in Brisbane for 370. I see far more potential in this than a new house on a small block in Melton

Hey Strongy1986, just out of interest which suburb did you buy in in Brisbane? I am just starting to research Brisbane, Cheers.

Birkdale

Probably better places to invest but this is a subdivision play.

Brisbane is an interesting one thats a good scenario you used with the house and land in melton with say 500 sqm and your 1300 sm, i'm looking at brisbane now and many of my clients investing on sunshine coast now too, seems like a bit of a rebound after the slump

Back