What to cook for elderly country folk

Hi SS!

I have a dilemma... I need to cook something for some elderly Australians from the country, on the weekend.

I have NO idea what to do...! Started googling for country womens association (CWA)-type recipes but I have no idea if I'm on the right track or not.

I normally cook Asian food... stir fries... two minute noodles... :D that kind of thing. Not sure how well received it would be, so I thought I'd cook something Aussie... but it has to be suitable for old people (like 90 yo)... so I don't think chucking a steak on the barbie is going to do it...

Suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Depends on your cooking talent and inclination.

Without doubt I would think the safest thing to cook would be a roast dinner, roast beef, potatoes, pumpkin, peas and gravy would be a simple solution which the vast majority of oldies would enjoy.

If not into roasts then a good beef stew or such but may look a bit simple when served.

The main thing is with oldies is do not put garlic or herbs in anything, while some do enjoy spicy food the majority simply can't digest spicy foods. It is not a matter of not liking the taste it is simply that the garlic/herbs may literally make them ill after the meal.

Oldies often eat bland food because they have to, not because they want to.

I was also going to suggest roast.. the food is soft and tasty and its so easy to prepare.
I normally do lamb but you could do beef or chicken instead. You can cook it in BBQ or oven.
I'm not a good cook, so I would do something simple for dessert like a self saucing pudding. You can get recipes online. I like golden syrup pudding, but chocolate always goes down well.

Of course, there is always the chance that they're hoping for something interesting to eat when they come to the big smoke.
County people aren't all stuck in the 1950s.
I took an old bloke from the country to one of our local Vietnamese places and he loved it - even when I told him with a very straight face that the meat was probably dog. It was his first taste of Asian food not cooked by an aussie in the kitchen of the local RSL 'Chinese' restaurant.
You could always call them and see what they'd like to eat. You might be surprised.

Thank you everyone! I can always count on SS :D

I did call them and ask. They said that they would eat whatever they were given and be grateful for it... doesn't really help me much!

I'd like to do something special for these folks as they are well into their 80s (almost 90). Some great ideas here... thanks... my mouth is watering now!

They're being nice. Typical country folk.

Call them again.

Say, 'Look, let's face it, you two are getting on and probably haven't got many meals left. Tell me what you'd most like to eat?'

I'd probably be a little adventurous without going too spicy, hot and 'hard to chew'.

Keep in mind some might have falsies that aren't the most secure, or have minor swallowing problems - not uncommon past 85 - 90.

Ausprops suggestion of Shepards pie sounds good.

Maybe add to that 2 or 3 other things (they can be simple dishes) and make it a small smorgasboard lunch/dinner.

I know a bloke who is 101 years old. He calls pasta "foreign food" and doesn't want to have anything to do with it.

But he will tear into a bit of meat and three veg.

Roast shoulder of lamb with gravy and 3 veg roasted crisp.

They'll douse the crisp with gravy in order to masticate and that shoulder (done right) will melt in the mouth.;)

I'm with the roast - most oldies love a roast but, because there is usually only one or two of them to cook for, they often don't bother doing one themselves.

Back