What to do?bought first house but looking for first IP

Hi All,
Bought a house in Caroline springs almost 5 yrs ago but we are thinking
Of buying something else in South east - Melbourne.
The thing is thinking of keeping the one in Caroline springs and then
Buying one in South East to live but not sure how we can make the one i
Caroline springs an IP.

Looking at Bentleigh East,mentone ...whatever we can afford.
Is this approach reasonable and will caroline
Springs growth increase?

Thanks all

There are many more experienced people on this forum, but after reading this forum for a while. I will have an attempt at answering:

1. How to turn your property into an IP:
- Change loan to Interest Only if you don't already have that, put all extra money in Offset account NOT into the loan as this will mean you cannot claim interest when the loan becomes an IP.
- If the above doesn't make sense to you speak to a broker that will be able to explain it to you. There are many who post on this forum and if you have a search this topic (or similar) has been covered many times.
- Engage a property manager to lease/manage your property, get appropriate insurance.

2. Will that area continue to see growth?
- Does it have fundamentals for growth? i.e. good transport/other infrastructure, are there jobs/employment available, etc.
- Is it a place people want to live? i.e. increasing population, demographics (families, young couples, retirees?)
- Take a look on domain/real estate websites to see what else is available for rent in the area and for how much.
- Speak with property managers who can tell you what is in demand for rent in that area/what price it will rent for.

That is my 2c and i've certainly missed a lot of very important points so please do your own research and search on this forum as well.

Good luck.

Good post from jkat.

I'd convert the current loan against Caroline Spings to IO now if you haven't already. Even if there's a chance it will become an IP - you really want to preserve the loan principal rather than paying it down (instead - you can park money into a linked offset account which will have the same effect).

Here's a long winded example.

I see it quite a bit - new clients calling me who have paid down a large portion of the loan on their Principle Place of Residency (PPOR) and are now looking to upgrade to a larger house while keeping their current property as an Investment Property (IP).

So what's wrong with this picture? In short, when their current property turns into an IP, the loan against this property is generally quite small (as they've paid down a considerable amount of the principal) - which means they can only claim a small amount of interest. The good news is that there's a way around this - but it's important that it's set up correctly from the start.

Let's look at an example.

The not so ideal situation
John purchased his first home in 2006. It was a nice little 1 bedroom apartment in the centre of town. He took out a loan of $300k for it.

The loan was set-up as principle and interest and John was determined to pay off his loan as quickly as possible.

It's now 2014 and John has managed to get his loan down to $100k.

John has now decided he would like to buy a larger house but keep his little one bedroom apartment as an investment.

Because John has paid his loan down to $100k - when this property becomes an IP, he can only claim interest on a $100k loan (which is about $7k per annum on 7% interest rates - I'm just using this figure for the sake of illustrating and partly because I've copied/pasted most of this from my blog and these were the figures I used a few years back) which isn't ideal since the property is now worth about $500k and is going to get $500 per week rent.

To make matters worse, John wanted to use the equity in his first property to purchase his next one. The issue is that the equity he is accessing from his 1 bedroom apartment won't be deductible because it's being used to purchase a PPOR.

So in this scenario, John has reduced his tax deductible (IP) debt whilst increasing his non-deductible (PPOR) debt. Not ideal!

So how do we get around this?

The ideal situation
If John had set up the loan as Interest Only (IO) with an offset from the beginning; he could have eliminated this issue.

Instead of paying down the principle, John could pop all of his spare money (including the would be principle repayments) into the offset account which provides a similar outcome to paying down the principle. Instead of having paid down his loan to $100k, John would have $200k sitting in his offset account and only paying interest on the remaining $100k.

When it comes time to convert this property into an IP, John can simply take the funds out of his offset account, which will boost the loan back up to $300k, and use those funds towards his next PPOR. This way, John has basically increased his deductible debt (IP loan) back to its original level of $300k whilst reducing his non-deductible debt (PPOR loan) by $200k.

Now John is able to claim interest on a $300k loan (which is closer to $21k per annum on 7% interest rates).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Jamie

Great responses from jkat and Jamie but my angle is more around it becoming an IP. First and foremost what is your investment strategy and how does this propery fit into that? Are you aiming for cashflow or growth? Can this property manufacture growth such as a subdivision and development?
It is likely that because this place is your PPOR you have an emotional attachment and that could cloud Your thoughts about it being a viable investment.

Personally I would be thoroughly running the numbers and see how they stack up because you may be able get far better returns with a different investment. If you were to sell then you would be CGT exempt and the only hit would be agent fees. With the profit you can then go by an IP returning higher yields or growth potential and have the loan at full interest.

Just remember investing should be a business and not emotional. If you dan turn a higher profit elsewhere then leave the emotion out of it and treat it as a business transaction.

Back