What to do when dealing with an incompetent RE agent?

Hi All,

I've been wanting to see a property for a few weeks now. However the agent's office is far from the property and hence he cannot arrange appointments on Saturdays. Although I've managed to get him to email me the contract, he says the tenants wouldn't return phone calls and he had to serve them a notice over a week ago to show us the property. Then he said he'd go in person to check as the property manager doesn't have the key, he doesn't have the key and apparently he hasn't asked the vendors if they have a spare key. He was going to go over today. But I'm yet to hear back and although we had spoken that I'd call him today, there is no response.

So I asked him if they really want to sell. He said they do...

Now I have the contract, I am considering approaching the vendors' solicitor and speaking with them about the lack of access and that we'd be keen to put an offer on the property. What I don't want is them realising that they should be advertising with an "in area" agent...and then doing that.

How do people generally deal with these issues? I know many people might say to move on...but I do see potential if we can get it for the "right price"...As it seems the agent is hopeless...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MsAli.

Put in a low offer because you can be pretty sure that everyone else has walked by now so it will probably be the only offer on the table.

If you have a sense of humour put in an offer subject to a condition that the agent let you actually see the property in person:)

Put in a low offer because you can be pretty sure that everyone else has walked by now so it will probably be the only offer on the table.

If you have a sense of humour put in an offer subject to a condition that the agent let you actually see the property in person:)

Thanks SRB...I did hint an offer on the phone and only that convinced him to make SOME effort to show us the property...And clearly it is a higher offer than any other received as the property has been on the market for 7 months....Just that he doesn't realise the market has moved on.

That's awesome, I love dealing with bad selling agents.

Me too.

If you are disciplined and tenacious in following up, they are your greatest asset in getting a substantial discount.

MsAli, you have an extra bonus. Not only is the rea hopeless as you mention, they are not local and either clearly out of touch with the market or couldn't care enough to research it. Tough for the vendor :( however might be favourable for you. :)

Good luck.

Me too.

If you are disciplined and tenacious in following up, they are your greatest asset in getting a substantial discount.

MsAli, you have an extra bonus. Not only is the rea hopeless as you mention, they are not local and either clearly out of touch with the market or couldn't care enough to research it. Tough for the vendor :( however might be favourable for you. :)

Good luck.

Me 3.

Thanks Player! I have been persistent (thanks to someone on SS for the tip :) - you know who you are!). The agent has not called me once.

I will call again tomorrow!

I'm with Player here, I've bought through disinterested agents before (then sold through switched on ones). Often, the agent has the property because of an old relationship with the vendor (may be doing a bit of a favour for the owner).

If they don't know the market, they will push whoever gets throws money at the deal (or make the owner suffer by saying there's no interest and getting a mate to buy it on the cheap).

Hi All,

I've been wanting to see a property for a few weeks now. However the agent's office is far from the property and hence he cannot arrange appointments on Saturdays. Although I've managed to get him to email me the contract, he says the tenants wouldn't return phone calls and he had to serve them a notice over a week ago to show us the property. Then he said he'd go in person to check as the property manager doesn't have the key, he doesn't have the key and apparently he hasn't asked the vendors if they have a spare key. He was going to go over today. But I'm yet to hear back and although we had spoken that I'd call him today, there is no response.

So I asked him if they really want to sell. He said they do...

Now I have the contract, I am considering approaching the vendors' solicitor and speaking with them about the lack of access and that we'd be keen to put an offer on the property. What I don't want is them realising that they should be advertising with an "in area" agent...and then doing that.

How do people generally deal with these issues? I know many people might say to move on...but I do see potential if we can get it for the "right price"...As it seems the agent is hopeless...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MsAli.

Your other option would be to find someone you know who is a REA and see if they will do a conjunctional sale with this other agent. Do you have conjunctional sales in NSW?
They can go pick up the key and arrange for a viewing

I'm with Player here, I've bought through disinterested agents before (then sold through switched on ones). Often, the agent has the property because of an old relationship with the vendor (may be doing a bit of a favour for the owner).

If they don't know the market, they will push whoever gets throws money at the deal (or make the owner suffer by saying there's no interest and getting a mate to buy it on the cheap).

Seems like it! Cos they manage the property too. Why on earth would you give your property to someone whose so far away and likely does not understand the area!

Your other option would be to find someone you know who is a REA and see if they will do a conjunctional sale with this other agent. Do you have conjunctional sales in NSW?
They can go pick up the key and arrange for a viewing

I could ask our PM sales manager if that is practical. But I have never heard of that happening in NSW.

I called an agent interstate the other day on opinion on a property. He was really nice and polite to talk to when I first spoke. But the moment I said to him I wanted an opinion, he said, well it's against my ethics, I should be promoting my properties (which he had claimed are listed AT market levels realistically)...Anyway it was enough of a turn off...He couldn't even see the potential that I could ask his agency to property manage the property. It was certainly not the last property I would buy! *rant*

But this is another story...

Last edited:

This is done more often than you would know - esp with project marketing (the lure of higher % commissions for co-agents who provide registered leads) as well as agents who openly request other agent participation for buyers/tenants of commercial property and will share their commission.

Back