What to do with my car?

I was planning on selling my old faithful corolla.. 1996, clicked over 200k, but super reliable and perfect for a tight a$$ property investor ;) Problem is I just found out I need to spend $1600, in order to sell it for about $4000... :confused: What to do..

A) spend the $1600 and sell for $4000
B) Keep it in a mates backyard while I'm overseas for a year so I can use when I get back.. (not too worried about the roadworthy, it's really ok).
C) Lend to a mate for a year.. (will need to add him to my insurance etc)

No option D for "take it to the wreckers" :p

Id recommend selling as is for as much as you can get.

Failing that, keep it as it wont be used for a while, when you get back take up the decision process from there again.

Cheers

Mick

What's wrong with it?
Shagged engine, suspension, mechanicals or body? You can usually get around these things to sell the car quickly.

I've got a 96 rolla as well. Bloody nice car for its age - power windows, velour interior, ice cold aircon, power steering.. etc etc.
Runs on less fuel than current model corolla too :)

I'll be keeping it until it dies. Even then i'll probably just repair it myself and sell it to my younger sisters as their first car.

What's wrong with it?.
Chipped windscreen, needs 2 new tyres, power steering leak, gearbox seal, 2x cv drive shafts.. The drive shafts seem to be the big ticket item.
I've got a 96 rolla as well. Bloody nice car for its age - power windows, velour interior, ice cold aircon, power steering.. etc etc.
Runs on less fuel than current model corolla too :)
Tell me about it.. but it hasn't been popular with the ladyfriends, then again mine doesn't have the power windows :p
I think I'll keep it till it dies.. into my mates backyard for now.

Not sure of the rules in Qld. In NSW you can just sell and notify the RTA of the new owners. It is up to the new owners to get rego into their own name.

Hi Prop

I live in Vic. but am looking at buying a car rego'd in NSW, from your post I
gather that a road worthy certificate is not required?

Have to find out if I need to transfer the rego. to Vic now or wait until it is due.

Cheers

Pete

I thought it was compulsory to get a safety certificate in order to change the rego?

only if you sell it with plates
you can take your plates off, and sell it w/o plates
in this case you actually get some of your rego refunded when you bring the plates in.

if you sell it without plates - RWC becomes buyer's responsibility when he goes to register it

Hi Prop
I live in Vic. but am looking at buying a car rego'd in NSW, from your post I
gather that a road worthy certificate is not required?
Have to find out if I need to transfer the rego. to Vic now or wait until it is due.

Hi Pete,
If you were living in NSW and buying in NSW then you need the equivalent of a RWC, called in NSW a pink slip, to be able to transfer the rego into the name of the new owner. You have I think only 14 days to do this (maybe it is 30 days??)

I think you'll find if you are buying in Vic they will have similar rules and you can't just run out the NSW rego and then get Vic rego. If you did that in NSW then the vehicle would have to go over the pits where it is inspected by an RTA inspector.

Back