What to do with Telstra T3 Shareholding?

I've been thinking about what do do with my Telstra T3 share allocation. I've been considering the following factors:

Telstra T3 (TLSCA)is closed at $3.14.
Half year results to be announced Feb 21
Goes ex-dividend on March 3rd
Final installment of $1.60 due by 29 May, payable if shares held on 15 May.
1:25 bonus shares issued if shares held through to May 15.
Sharemarket has been volatile - possibly already in a bear market (may have already traded through an important resistance level)

I've been looking for a way of calculating whether to sell now or wait until the final payment, taking into account the bonus shares, extra payment, upcoming dividend and market volatility. Any ideas?

EC

I'm holding mine for the long term... dividends have been good so far. May 29 is my B'day so paying the final installment will be my present:D

Having said that, is there a level that you would sell at? $2.50? $2.00? Do I hear $1.50 anyone?

I'd reassess as it fell. Though more likely I'd just buy more and dollar cost average down. I generally find it very hard to sell and buy back in later. I prefer to just keep buying.
Alex

TLS performing better than most stocks the last few weeks. Probably seen as a defensive play due to dividend. My plan is to hold for the bonus issue, then might sell the bounus ones I get, and keep the core holding, which at this stage I have no plan of ever selling.

i agree - why put more money into a losing trade? you're still backing a losing horse - regardless of how much money you put into it it's not going to perform any better.

you should be setting a stop loss and sticking to it.

- why put more money into a losing trade?

I've done it and on average it has worked for me, but when I have done so each trade has been treated as "a new, separate" one. Good shares can be sold down. I even made a few thou in an "execution error" trade when I accidently doubled my position when I meant to square it.

The only rule is: There are no rules.

I've been looking for a way of calculating whether to sell now or wait until the final payment, taking into account the bonus shares, extra payment, upcoming dividend and market volatility. Any ideas?

EC
I would just use a little creative thinking,TLSCA can go both ways prior to the bonus shares and the final $1.60 being paid,IMHO i think most who hold will be relucant to sell,i still hold a number of TLS-TLSCA and i intend to holdfor as long as i can,just another cash cow that you milk 2 times a year..imho..willair..

Is Telstra really such a good investment?

OK, make up your own minds, but...

Telstra is probably the only company in Australia who is governed by legislation to provide its major competitors with the services they need to compete against it, at prices that make them competitive.

I mean, they have to give their competitors access to their infrastructure for prices so low, that their competitors can come out and knock them off.

Sounds like a crazy investment to me.

Not about purchasing Telstra today

I'm not talking about buying Telstra today but rather looking at the T3 installment allocation which was purchased at $2 with a further installment of $1.60 payable later this year.

Coming up soon will be the cut-off date for the installments. Holders of the installments after this date will A) have to pay $1.60 per share and B) receive a 1:25 bonus share offer. These are unique events and I'm interested to hear other opinions about what may happen to the share price due to these events.

Back