What to do with ugly fence?

Hi,
We have an ugly backyard fence.

I have attached few photos covering the whole area (18 long x about 1.5 m high).

We used to have simple bamboo covering all these time. That is why we have those timber posts. We will be planting few fruit trees for long term and may be veg or small plants in short term.

I’m thinking of getting some wall artists to draw some plants and farm or jungle animals. We have two kids (1 & 3) so they may enjoy the backyard a bit more.

Has anyone done anything interesting to their backyard fence? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,
devank

Attachments

• 01 WallLeft.jpg
    01 WallLeft.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 567
  • 03 WallRight.jpg
    03 WallRight.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 524
Hi,
We have an ugly backyard fence.

Paint it and it will no longer be ugly. I happen to think it is a very nice fence, just needs paint.

I have attached few photos covering the whole area (18 long x about 1.5 m high).

We used to have simple bamboo covering all these time. Urghhhh!!! That is why we have those timber posts. We will be planting few fruit trees for long term and may be veg or small plants in short term.

I’m thinking of getting some wall artists to draw some plants and farm or jungle animals.
Double urghhh!!!

We have two kids (1 & 3) so they may enjoy the backyard a bit more.

I actually think you are lucky. That fence will probably never fall down and really just needs a good karcher and a lick of paint. If you want to hide the blocks, what about some quick growing vines and string some thin wire to give them something to grow up against?

The "ugliest fence award" must go to the fence along a road we frequently travel. The housing commission style house is not helped much by the owners having installed a galv pipe and timber six foot high paling fence... with the palings facing the house. They probably think it is good because they get to look at the "nice side" but from the street it is just plain ugly, and not very secure having three rails on the outside to help the burglars climb over.

agree, paint it as it's a nice fence. I would do it dark grey, and will look good against the plants you have planned. What is the wire bit? looks like barbed wire behind? do you want to screen it out and need more height, then the thick bamboo screening is nice. By the way the lawn looks great

I wouldnt do the farm animals paintings... you'll regret it in 1-2 years time when the kids are beyond that sort of thing. My motherinlaw was a great one for painting walls and doing murals etc... looked terrible, to me at least!
I'd get rid of the barbed wire, paint it green as others have suggested and look at planting some attractive trees along the borders.

I wouldnt do the farm animals paintings... you'll regret it in 1-2 years time when the kids are beyond that sort of thing. My motherinlaw was a great one for painting walls and doing murals etc... looked terrible, to me at least!
I'd get rid of the barbed wire, paint it green as others have suggested and look at planting some attractive trees along the borders.

Agree, except I think 'charcoal' coloured paint would better highlight the green foliage of the boarder plants/trees.

Agree with painting a charcoal colour and love the idea of the fruit trees. They can grow quite big though so go with dwarf varieties or espalier them so you don't annoy the neighbours. Add a few underplantings and it will look great!

Thank you for all helpful suggestions. Thanks to you ALL I'm give up the farm animals :)

I photoshopped (?!) to see how it may look. As many people suggested gave the grey/charcoal colour to the wall. It is same as the garden shed.

Timber on top looks nice. I'm not sure if it requires more budget and frequent care.

Bamboo option is not as neat as timber but it may be cheaper and also easier to install.

Attachments

• timber.jpg
    timber.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 644
  • bamboo.jpg
    bamboo.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 341
timber on top will also fade quickly and look terrible ? (a mates place has stained timber gate at the front and has to recoat it every year because it looks bad after a year

From the photos it seems you have galv pipes coming up through the bessa blocks? If so, could you stretch some shadecloth across the top bit if you need privacy until some plants get high enough to give that privacy?

It looks like the photo is taken from higher than ground level and it also seems that privacy may not be an issue at yard level. If so, why not leave it open or stretch wire across as your plants get to a height that they need support up high?

Hiya Devan

Agree with the others that a deep grey would look best- most renovators these days tend to prefer this colour group and I think it blends sufficiently well into the background and provides a nice contrast for the greenery in front.
But why is the fence not all level across the top? I'd consider adding more blocks to even it out, just for aesthetic value if nothing else. Forget the timber- as others have said, maintenance is a pain and you need to remember how dense it might get once all the trees have grown.. :)
Happy painting!

Id get rid of the barbed wire.

lay at least another 2 courses of blockwork. attach some piers if the wall needs it and paint it. Or if you want to spend a little more, give the wall a render texture coat, it will look beautiful.

timber on top will also fade quickly and look terrible ? (a mates place has stained timber gate at the front and has to recoat it every year because it looks bad after a year

....thats because it is reccommended to recoat timber annually......

pinkboy

+1 paint block fence a deep charcoal colour to highlight green follage.

+1 lay more blocks to make higher and level.

Cheers
Sheryn

From the photos it seems you have galv pipes coming up through the bessa blocks? If so, could you stretch some shadecloth across
Yes. I do have timber posts. I have long orange(!) sun shade cloths. I bought them (from Catch of the day) to put it around the deck so that my 1.5 year old won't fall over.
I might use them at the top.

Agree with the others that a deep grey would look best-
I don't think I would do anything else if a buyers agent suggests something ;)
Got 4L paint to match the garden shed (grey).

But why is the fence not all level across the top?
Old house had a swimming pool where the wall is higher. Old owner may have increased the height for privacy.

....thats because it is recommended to recoat timber annually......
That is enough to stay away from timber :)

I got the paint now. After that I can decide if I want to put up the orange cloth or bamboo.

I posted this at the beginning of this year. At least I finished it with in the year :rolleyes:

Here are the before pictures. pic1 & pic2

Thank you everyone for their input.

Here are the after pictures....

Attachments

• DSCN1608.jpg
    DSCN1608.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCN1607.jpg
    DSCN1607.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCN1605.jpg
    DSCN1605.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 247
That looks so much better, but I think your "extra height" bits are ruining it. I would be looking at putting something (lattice, thicker brush) along the whole length so it is unified. The thin brush section is wonky and doesn't give much privacy.

But good job on the painting. It always amazes me what a coat of paint can do to most things.

Back