what to install in front of the garage door

Just shifted into this house, nice house, good location, but doesn't have a media room. The TV noise drives me mad, can't get away from it (the house is single level). One year on and I am still trying to redirect all the mail to the new address, so can't see myself shift again in a hurry. Would like to convert the garage into a media room, nothing fancy. Don't want to build something permanent as will put the house on the market in future. Thinking of either install a sun shade/screen(got a quote for $4000 !) to keep out the sun and bugs (they bite after dark) or doors, something like that. Has anyone done this and have good results, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
my two bobs worth.....

first impressions for me when buying a home:

- if a house has a garage converted into a rumpus i dont even get out of the car to inspect...its my pet dislike actually....i immediately think the house must be too small

having said that if the original garage door is enclosed properly, the interior is lined professionally you may get away with it...............if done right.

what is wrong with adding an colorbond carport with timber slats on the side and a panel lift door on the front as an option, make it permanent to enhance the value slightly or at worst to make the home more apealing to potential buyers later on.............depending on your councils boundary requirements that is a way to improve things and add value to the property.

the key though is definitely how you attack the old garage to make it not look like you dont have a lot of room in the home and had to extend into the garage..

Best of luck

- if a house has a garage converted into a rumpus i dont even get out of the car to inspect...its my pet dislike actually....i immediately think the house must be too small
thanks csc2, this is exactly my thought. So don't want to build/install anything permanent, when selling in future will revert back to a garage. The tricky part is to put something doesn't look out of place and keep out the sun & bugs in front of the existing garage door.

thanks csc2, this is exactly my thought. So don't want to build/install anything permanent, when selling in future will revert back to a garage. The tricky part is to put something doesn't look out of place and keep out the sun & bugs in front of the existing garage door.

What about like thick drapes??

Keep the sun out for sure

Hi,

How about lining it if it is not already, then put a false wall about 1 metre inside the door.

Use the inside for your media room and the outside part like you would a lawn locker using the roller door for access.

Back