What type of flooring and layout of ceramic tiles

Straight or diagonal laying of ceramic floor tiles

I am in the middle of a kitchen renovation and am replacing the previous vinyl and most of the carpet in my home. I bought 300mm ceramic tiles a few years ago and finally they will be coming out of storage and used for the kitchen and hallway floors (lucky they are a neutral colour). My question is, what is the best way for the layout of the tiles - straight or diagonal. I am leaning towards diagonal as the concrete slab needs some levelling and the diagonal layout would hide any imperfections more than a straight layout would. There is a total of about 60 sqm of tiles. What is the popular layout for floor tiles these days?

I have also looked at a bamboo floating floor for the lounge and possibly the bedrooms. I have a fairly large hallway from the front leading to the back into the kitchen. There is also a 't' section that leads into the bedrooms. This would mean I would have kitchen tiles, hallway tiles, lounge floorboards and the section of hallway that goes into the bedrooms all floorboards. To have a hallway with a mix of both tiles and floorboards, would this look ok? I was previously planning to tile all the hallway (both sections) with carpet in the lounge and bedrooms. Another thought was to tile the lounge but think they are too cold in winter here in Canberra.

I am confused and need to make a decision. :confused:

Last edited:
Too many floor types in a home make it look 'patchy' and 'bitsy'. Try for 1 type or at most 2 - say carpets in brms.

Get a quote before deciding on diagonal pattern - it may cost more.

Back