What were you doing 5 / 10 / 15 / etc years ago ??

Now - living in remote area, in company supplied home, with 2 kids - purchased IP 2 and 3 last year...cashflow tightish, but not uncomfortable....hanging out to get #4, but need some more CG first, and the kids to get older, so can bring in an income again! Talk property with my dad and brother...

5yrs ago - Got married. Work transfer to the bush - PPOR became 1st IP, living in supplied housing. Started taking real interest in buying IPs, but having just had 1st child, and income halved...was just out of reach (but in hindsight not impossible). Should have taken dads advice and got in sooner! (Thanks dad! :))

10yrs ago (nearly) - bought first PPOR with then fiance, on graduate wages - was the best we could afford, without over-streching...crappy loan - but was all we could get! Paid any surplus cash into loan and home improvements.

15yrs ago - Graduated high school, then uni...worked part-time/casual in fish shops through school and uni...no HECS debt at the end. Traveled a bit. Always keen to save money, and never a big spender. Lived at home, but paid my own way otherwise.

20yrs ago - Primary school...

Now:
Finishing renovation of ip#5 (in 2 weeks...:D woohoo!)
Finalising purchase of IP#6

5 years:
The light dawned.
Moved out of my apartment which I had lived in for the past 18 months and began renting. Started to look at purchasing additional IP's.

Collingwood lost GF again :(

10 years:
Moved back from Ballarat after working there for 2 years. Had dabbled with the thought of buying property there. Returns were over 10%, but was told (and listened :eek:) to trusted family member, who said that prices never move in regional areas.

But owning a property at the time was such a foreign and far off prospect

15 years:
Finished uni, couldn't find full-time job, had a couple of casual jobs and started planning for the European trip year later

20 years:
Can't remember. Too long ago....:p

Next 5 years - Marriage, midgets, upgrade/convert current PPOR to IP, IP#3 being a development/subdivision site.

Now - Bought my PPOR around 6 months ago. Paying down the mortgage getting ready for the future. One IP (actually girlfriends PPOR) being rented as we live together.

5 years ago - Just finished uni in full time work for the 1st time. Started investing in shares on a monthy basis, as a way to grow deposit for PPOR. Partying pretty hard a little travel here and there.

10 years ago - Just finishing high school about to embark of 5 years of uni, working part-time in a call centre. Dad encouraging me to put some money in to ING account, then shares. Time not spent at work or uni, usually spent drunk.:eek:

15 years ago - Starting high school, not much happening here

20 years ago - 3rd year of primary school, moving from Rural Victoria to Melbourne.

Last edited:
Now: Sold half a dozen IP's and channelled funds into a business in Carbon economy + cash reserves to buy overseas. Keeping rest of the IP portfolio & a small shares portfolio. Working full time as an employee in Carbon commerce industry.

(plugging frankston on SS in a full time role for good 18 months :D )

5 years ago

Bought first IP around 6 years ago and started accumulating IP's quite aggresively 5 years ago.

10 years ago

Last year in my post grad degree slogging it off with uni during the day and working odd jobs during the evening. NO IP, no investments and plenty of debt (education related).

15 years ago

Studying for bachelors degree and scabbing off my folks - no investments.

20 years ago

Studying part time and spending rest of the time at school detention !

Harris

Thanks for sharing everyone - great stuff

Now - Family is everything, have baby, toddler, teenage stepdaughter. PPOR (it's being rented out) + 2 IP's, -ve geared too much. Would like to buy more property but no banks will lend and to be honest, cant afford to. Reading about shares, bought some.

5 years ago - single - Drinking lots of beer. PPOR (bought out ex-wife) + 1 IP, had bought Jan's book a year earlier, and bought something - anything. Wish I'd known about this forum then!

10 years ago - First PPOR, happily married, paying down loan, all good.

15 years ago - Still at uni - drinking lots of beer - still no thoughts about property

20 years ago - first year of uni - drinking lots of beer (seems to be a theme) - no thoughts about property

Now :.............. Still working same job, but better at it:), married, living in ppor, as of last friday, have our first IP. have some money in managed funds and shares but not very much (<10k)
5 years ago :.... Working a better IT job, moved to Hobart, met future wife, still clueless about investing or bettering myself.
10 years ago :.. Working for a small company as their computer dude, whilst still at uni
15 years ago :.. First year of computer science at RMIT
20 years ago :.. Police Acadamy Victoria.

I'm really sad that this popular thread seems to have been brought to a screaming halt by the fact that it has been moved to Investor Psychology where no-one can find it - who on earth thought that was a good idea:eek:?????

cheers

are there any lessons there for the rest of us? you seemed to be travelling well 5 years ago, what got you in the sh .. ?

you don't have to answer if you don't want, but i am always eager to learn from mistakes - often my own but sometimes from other people.
Ended up with 4 IP's by 2004, with 7 tenants, Serviceability was killing us (rent roughly = interest, but couldn't borrow more) so went looking for riskier higher yeilding deals (trying to get more cashflow). Should have just taken 3 months off work and sat back and thought things through better. Bought a couple of business's in 2005. That took us out of the resi banking sector into the business banking sector and then we moved up to the next level of business banking, currently having heaps of trouble with our business bankers, we are probably at the bottome end of this range so we don't get a lot of service from the bankers. (we did find a good banking but she was in a car accident and ended up moving into a different section of the bank)

In hind sight I think we would have been better off moving into developing instead of retail business. A bit less paper work, don't have the staff and wages to deal with, the risk is similar but at least you have a tangible asset (block of land) at the end of the day.

So the real lesson is find what you are good at and stick to it! You may need to mold it and move around or be a bit creative but stick to that core thing that you are good at.

Unfortunately you sometimes need to try different things until you work out that you are good at one of them and not the others. But you do learn a lot when things go wrong, the only issue is if you give up, so remember the little kids when they learn walk, fall down, get up, fall down, get up, fall down, quick rest, get up, fall down, get up, walk abit, fall down, etc.

Find a strategy that lets you continue to do it. Be open to changing your plan, goals, approach, as you grown and learn.

Don't give up!

Cheers
Graeme

Now; retired 3 years living on rental income; bored out of my mind. bought cafe business, losing money & regretting it already!

5 years ago sold 3 houses, what an ***! bought 2 commercial properties, that's why sold 3 houses having earlier sold one post 9/11 jitters. What an ***!

10 years ago 1998 what a coincidence! bought my 1st house in Australia. Sold my 1st ever house [was a disastrous buy] in Kuala Lumpur.

Should add the retirement years. 2005 bought derelict property. subdivided. 2005 bought old cottage. sold in 2007. 2006 bought ex housing trust home. subdivided. sold with approval. What an ***!

Now - selling 2 more. What...

I just noticed - selling was always wrong.
KY

B]Now: [/B]
Refinance a Loc doc RHG loan to Westpac. Got valuation for all my properties (most have increased in value) and sitting pretty with the extra equity obtained from the bank a few months ago before the credit crunch.

5 years:

Bought my 3rd IP in Sydney.

10 years:

Bought my 2nd IP in Melbourne.

15 years:
Bought my first property (unit) to live in. Then a few years later, hubby and I bought my 2nd property and rent out the first property.

20 years:
Arrive in Australia.

Hi again, forgot.

25 years ago - bought 1st house. Property market collapsed. Interest rate 18%. Freaked & stressed & strained. Cried. Worked hard.

15 years ago - friend offered to sell her apartment to me. I drifted a bit. Decided I needed a car more. Don't tell me I was a twit! I was so unnerved by the 1st experience I decided I could wait. $160000 apartment rose to $800000 in 2.5 years!

KY

Now

Enjoying seeing my son develop throughout his 1st year of school.
Getting addicted to Mouse Hunt on Facebook.
Wondering if daughter will get grow out of the terrible 2's or if it's just a female attitude thing.
Deciding for the 2nd year in a row that a cricket comeback is just too damn hard (did the other groin this pre-season).
Enjoying being my own boss.
Given up begging for...... It just aint gunna happen:D

5 Years Ago

Working for ANZ bank and wondering why the hell why.
Changing sons pull-ups and begging for practice to ensure he wasn't an only child.
Enjoying a break from playing cricket on them 30+ degree days.
Started selling Forever Living products (Aloe) to keep mother in law happy

10 years ago

Single and enjoying life to the fullest.
Sharing a place with my now wife but not as BF/GF
Doing some travelling after taking package from bank. (went back 18 mths later after being asked).

15 years ago

Working for ANZ
terrorising batsmen as a tear away quick (well trying to be)
Single with no thoughts of changing after having come off a 4 yr r/ship.

20 years ago

Had been at ANZ for around a year.
Single, playing cards 2-3 nights a week with the "boys" and playing cricket (was there anymore to life?)
Wondering why I went over to the USA a year back and didn't grab those 1500 ANZ shares at $2.70 instead with my savings.

25 years

High school
P/T work at a servo and saving money

Now - Looking at buying first IP
5 yrs ago - Just bought first PPOR
10 yrs ago - In High School
15 yrs ago - Just moved over from the UK
20 yrs ago - Preschool

15 yrs ago- Primary School
10 yrs ago- Started High school
5 yrs ago- Started uni degree
2 yrs ago- Finished uni and went back packing over europe for 6 months
this yr- Bought first PPOR which i will convert to an IP after 6 months

Next 5 yrs- Hopefully meet a nice guy whos is smart, good looking funny nice etc etc and also likes investing in property. Go travelling again to Europe may work in UK if i can handle the cold for a yr. Buy investment property in inner west sydney. Focus on career somewhere in here, unless i end up being a Mosman housewife :p

Next 10 yrs- Have a baby (girl only) so i can dress her up and call her Chloe or Sienna

Next 15/20 yrs- Retire and travel the world

Nice thread idea.

Now: Working two jobs, investing in shares and saving for a deposit.

5 years ago: I was in grade 8 learning about trigonomentry or something.

10 years ago: In grade 3 learning how to divide.

15 years ago: Learning how to talk.:)

Now: Travelling/living Asia, Australia

5 Yrs ago: Travelling/living Asia, Australia
10 Yrs ago: Travelling/living Asia, Americas, Caribeen
15 Yrs ago: Travelling/living Australia
20 Yrs ago: Travelling/living Victoria

Now: Travelling/living Asia, Australia

5 Yrs ago: Travelling/living Asia, Australia
10 Yrs ago: Travelling/living Asia, Americas, Caribeen
15 Yrs ago: Travelling/living Australia
20 Yrs ago: Travelling/living Victoria

So........have you travelled much?...Hahahahahaha:D

Nice idea for the thread

Now - finished big reno on IP2, revaluing all to buy more & learning about shares

5 years ago - bought IP 1, didn't get the investing bug until 2 years later though

10 years - got engaged, nearly finished PhD

15 years - came to Oz, was only going to stay for a year ;)

20 years - finished high school & started uni in Germany

kaf

Back