What will a grey water system cost?

I'm thinking of getting a grey water system installed in my PPoR. Not a sophisticated one, I just want to use my bath and shower water on the garden.

I can get fairly easy access to the U-bends under the shower and bath (weatherboard house), so if it wasn't illegal I'd be doing it myself. They're both about 40-50 cms from the edge of the house, and by removing the board at the bottom of the house you can easily reach in and touch them.

This part of the house was renovated 5 years ago so the plumbing is still in a fairly good condition.

I'm thinking it would be good to have some kind of switch so that I could choose to divert the water to either the garden or drain as required.

All I want is to get a plumber to install the divert to allow me to run a hose out to the garden. Any thoughts on what this should cost me?

Cheers
Jonathon

I didn't know it was illegal to do it yourself,:confused:
I personally would just do it:rolleyes:

However I don't know how much a plumber charges an hour plus materials.
Shouldn't be any more than $150 for the job.
Do you have another job for him to do while he is there?:D

I didn't know it was illegal to do it yourself,:confused:
I personally would just do it:rolleyes:

However I don't know how much a plumber charges an hour plus materials.
Shouldn't be any more than $150 for the job.
Do you have another job for him to do while he is there?:D

I thought that anything involving the plumbing that's attached to the town sewerage/draining system had to be done by a licensed plumber?

You can buy a very inexpensive fitting at Bunnings that goes into the inspection port where the exit pipe comes from the house. Simple on a 60's brick home like the one I am in.

They then connect to a garden house and the water is used as you like.

Be aware of what washing liquid you use - you can research this. I think some can be bad for the garden.

I thought that anything involving the plumbing that's attached to the town sewerage/draining system had to be done by a licensed plumber?
You are probably right,
I mean to be honest its a fairly simple system you are after,
Its a high house,so no drainage problem or pumps needed.
You aren't playing with the Black water:rolleyes:

You can buy a very inexpensive fitting at Bunnings that goes into the inspection port where the exit pipe comes from the house. Simple on a 60's brick home like the one I am in.

They then connect to a garden house and the water is used as you like.

Yep I got one of those, about $6. They're ok, but still leak some of the water down the drain and I can't attach it to our shower, which is used a lot more than the bath.

Back