What Will The "Free-Trade-Aggrement"with China do for Australia..

Just watching the free trade agreement being signed in Canberra with Xi-Jinping China,s strongest leader in many years,what do others think about this?..

If ones was to study this Powerful Man, from his younger days when his Father was purged and exiled to the Shaanxi province and lived in Caves for 7 years,then he returned to Beijing and studied Chemical Engineering at the Elite Tsinghua University then his rise to power..

Nothing of value but the concern is what AU gave up to get it done. Abbott was widely condemned for signalling he wanted this thing done ASAP after several years of tough negotiations by NLP and LNP governments.

The TPP agreement under negotiation now is the one of more concern.

Nothing of value but the concern is what AU gave up to get it done. Abbott was widely condemned for signalling he wanted this thing done ASAP after several years of tough negotiations by NLP and LNP governments.

Freckle there has to be more positive then negative,but it's only my observation everyone saw so many companies go bust under Rudd-Gillard,
at least Mr-Abbott is doing what the Australian Tax Paying wanted and voted this Government to do..

Freckle there has to be more positive then negative,but it's only my observation everyone saw so many companies go bust under Rudd-Gillard,
at least Mr-Abbott is doing what the Australian Tax Paying wanted and voted this Government to do..

Rudd was a muppet but he had a reasonable understanding of how things were done in China. They were starting to get somewhere as the China story unraveled. For expediency's sake Abbott has forgone all the progress built up over the last decade of negotiations.

The FTA is reportedly worth $18B over 10 years... 1.8B/yr. Compare that to total exports of $600B+/yr currently.

Abbott described this as a 'game changer'...

What's likely to happen is that China will continue to buy up the entire supply chain or at the very least continue to acquire the supply chain from the initial processing to the export leg and strip out most of the profit during that process.

There will be little change for the man in the street or benefit.

I just hope that 1.8B p.a. goes toward putting the budget in the black so that Abbott can get rid of some of his draconian reforms eg medicare co-payment etc. Heck, I'm looking at my 4th IP and I don't want to pay 7 bucks to see a quack (apologies to any doctors out there)

The FTA is reportedly worth $18B over 10 years... 1.8B/yr. Compare that to total exports of $600B+/yr currently.

Abbott described this as a 'game changer'...

What's likely to happen is that China will continue to buy up the entire supply chain or at the very least continue to acquire the supply chain from the initial processing to the export leg and strip out most of the profit during that process.

There will be little change for the man in the street or benefit.

Think its a game changer in terms of geopolitics more than economics Freckles.

Agree with you here - i'm not sure how the negotiations played out, but with these things all the middle ground stuff is easy to achieve.

Some of the harder more technical issues may have been watered down with Abbott's insistence to get it done ASAP.

At the same time, putting a deadline on it got it done.

Cheers,
Redom

I just hope that 1.8B p.a. goes toward putting the budget in the black so that Abbott can get rid of some of his draconian reforms eg medicare co-payment etc. Heck, I'm looking at my 4th IP and I don't want to pay 7 bucks to see a quack (apologies to any doctors out there)
Not having a go at you personally, but I am sick to death of the people who I associate with banging on about free health care. I visit a doctor on average around every two years or so but I pay around $700 per year in Medicare levy and medicare levy surcharge. So, on average, it costs me around $1400 for every doctor visit. $7 what? $7 is nothing. ;-)

Not having a go at you personally, but I am sick to death of the people who I associate with banging on about free health care. I visit a doctor on average around every two years or so but I pay around $700 per year in Medicare levy and medicare levy surcharge. So, on average, it costs me around $1400 for every doctor visit. $7 what? $7 is nothing. ;-)

i heard about an old man and an old woman who went to the doctor and asked if the doctor could watch them have sex in case there was a problem with the way they were doing it. The doctor was perplexed but he agreed.

The couple had sex and the doctor said everything seemed to be in order.

The next week they come in again, and then the week after again.

The doctor asked why the hell were they coming in everyweek with the same problem? He said "she is lives with her children and I live with my son and we can't afford a hotel, but if we have sex here we can claim it on medicare".

I think it's an absolute disgrace personally

Fail to see how it's geopolitical...explain..

China has been very 'closed' with its economic affairs in the past - its going through a slow process of opening up. Securing a FTA with China is a big signal geopolicitally about the future direction of the bilateral relationship. Similar to the annual leaders meeting Gillard arranged.

So there may or may not be a whole lot in the FTA itself, but I definately think people around the world watch China's actions closely as one of the most significant economic powers now and growing into the future.

Should be good for agriculture especially the red meat industry. Will give a big confidence boost to graziers in the top end. They need it too after the last few years. Well done to Barnaby Joyce.

i heard about an old man and an old woman who went to the doctor and asked if the doctor could watch them have sex in case there was a problem with the way they were doing it. The doctor was perplexed but he agreed.

The couple had sex and the doctor said everything seemed to be in order.

The next week they come in again, and then the week after again.

The doctor asked why the hell were they coming in everyweek with the same problem? He said "she is lives with her children and I live with my son and we can't afford a hotel, but if we have sex here we can claim it on medicare".

That's a classic Terry,i gonna save that one for the front bar on Friday afternoon..

China has been very 'closed' with its economic affairs in the past - its going through a slow process of opening up. Securing a FTA with China is a big signal geopolicitally about the future direction of the bilateral relationship. Similar to the annual leaders meeting Gillard arranged.

So there may or may not be a whole lot in the FTA itself, but I definately think people around the world watch China's actions closely as one of the most significant economic powers now and growing into the future.

That's not geopolitical. Geopolitical events involve territory, spatial factors, etc. Events in the South China Sea are geopolitical. Trade agreements are not geopolitical events.

Geopolitics is a method of foreign policy analysis which seeks to understand, explain, and predict international political behaviour primarily in terms of geographical variables.

That's not geopolitical. Geopolitical events involve territory, spatial factors, etc. Events in the South China Sea are geopolitical. Trade agreements are not geopolitical events.

Geopolitics is a method of foreign policy analysis which seeks to understand, explain, and predict international political behaviour primarily in terms of geographical variables.

Geopolitical, Geostrategic, whatever. The people that matter seem to refer to them interchangeably.

Its has strong symbolic relationship benefits and is part of our foreign policy agenda.

I have read that it has been going on for 10 years to get this far, so it would seem a bi partisan project for our government.

I presume there are benefits as other countries are chasing what we have just been given.

NZ dairy exports tripled after they got access, made a huge difference to NZ, they are going well over there according to my family.

Personally I don't think anyone should be able to buy primary producing land or mines, we should just lease it to them for 25 years or so.

Macca, this has been something floated amongst previous governments, the argument against it has always been that the government has the option to forcibly take the land back if push comes to shove, so the land can always be recovered if necessary. However I think the more pertinent point is about profit sharing - do you think a lease arrangement would allow the host country to extract more financial benefits than if the land were sold?

Back