What would you consider a "safe" LVR for a conservative, risk adverse investor?

75-80% especially if you?re just starting out.

At the end of the day serviceability is mainly what the risk comes down to though. Can you afford to hold the properties if interest rates went close to double digits or if you lost your job and had to survive a few months without an income?

Before rent or after rent?

< 70%: People who have accumulated enough
70 - 80%: Single income + in accumulation phase
80% - 90%: Double income + in accumulation phase
90% - 95%: People who has really good back up plan :)
Do you mean personal rent on the place you are livjng in, or the rent from an IP?

MY 40% figure was referring to those contemplating a PPoR.

Personally at this stage 60-70% is ideal

Unless you have acheived your financial/wealth building goals, a low LVR is also high risk because your assets are being lazy and not working hard enough for you.

Shouldn't be investing in property if you need to sell fast, property isn't liquid.

There are far too many factors.

For me 90% is safe as I've got an approx 10% buffer in offest, and believe in the assest I've purchased.

For someone else 90% is high risk and not safe.

At what point would you ever be considered safe in the case of a WW?

Yes but the future is uncertain...divorce, economic downturns, disruptions, litigation, loss of job, personal injury, etc etc.

90% for an illiquid asset is as good as fully indebted at best. An agent will take 2-3% just to kiss it off. I would consider 90% to be extreme risk. And if buying in Sydney at todays prices at 90% LVR, I would go with the Spaceballs level of "Ludicrous"

For our situation I am now aiming to start dropping out LVR to 60% or less. Over the last few years we went from 80% at purchase down to about 70% from capital growth then up to 100% from drops in value through the GFC to currently around 85% (don't tell the bank!).
We don't want to buy anymore, we have some x-coll we would like to untangle and we are looking to head towards retirement. So SANF is becoming more important to us.
Also with the new lending rules I am not sure how that would affect us if we wanted to change banks etc and we are on a pretty good wicket where we are.

Back