What would you do in this situation?

Hi All,

What would you do in this situation?

I'll give you the rundown 1st:

Tenant of african descent has rocked up with an indian guy for an inspection on 1 of the units that were up for rent in my complex.

I talked to them at the time and they told me they were married.

Anyhow fast forward,and the woman of african descent has moved in with her 'husband' of african descent and the supposed husband of indian descent is the only 1 on the lease.

Maybe they were listed on TICA?So maybe they needed someone to get them a place to rent.

They have been living here for the past 6mnths and i have never seen the indian guy.

Anyhow in the last 6mnths wev'e had 4 disturbances where the police had to be called.

Now Saturday night(16/11/13)was the last straw.

Heard some shouting/arguing going on.Had them banging on my screen door around 3am but didn't answer.I didn't answer the door as you can't speak sense to a drunk(been there,done that before-pointless)so i had a word with them in the morning as did other tenants.

Anyhow found out 1 of the 'cousins' in the unit called the police and the 'aunty' had her children taken off her.

2 women had a punch up and 1 was taken in an ambulance and few were taken away in a divvy van.

1 of the 'supposed' so call friends stole the tenants car not long after.

This ain't really an issue for me as i'm moving soon but i feel for the tenants.It's a quiet complex and there is good crewe of owners/tentants living here at present.

There are other issues with these tenants and are suss.Criminal activity and lies,i've caught them out numerous times on what they've previously said.

So how do i get rid of these tenants?Am i able to as there not on the lease?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm thinking of calling the rea.Rea has been called in the past but tenants didn't answer the door.

Cheers Spades.

Last edited:
You will still need to follow the process. I presume VIC is the same as other states, meaning you have to give them a breach notice prior to giving them an eviction notice?

You could go to court for urgent application for eviction.

Hi jenni nextplace,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not the owner of the said property,so was wondering if it is possible to get rid of these tenants by other means.

Cheers Spades.

When we had two nice young men renting and they invited a third chap they had just met (without asking us) to share the cost, this third young chap caused some issues in the street, handbrake turns into the driveway, dangerous driving in the little street, and they all would have drinking sessions under the house. Neighbours told us, and I approached the two original tenants. When neighbours approached them during night time drinking sessions, they were respectful and turned down the music etc, but it wasn't something we wanted.

It became a topic for the local NHW president who was made aware of the problem. Some other neighbours in the street had called the police a few times. We told the original two that their choice of a third tenant without asking us was their first mistake and that now the police were watching this house, they should leave and ensure the third chap left too. We suggested to them that they didn't want to be lumped in with this "problem" chap. They were nice young men who didn't realise they had got involved in something that could turn bad and tarnish them too.

We allowed the to break the lease with no penalty and they all moved and left the house as they found it. Our big concern was that the third chap would not move and we would end up with him there and no lease.

Of course, we were lucky that the original two were nice boys and they appreciated we were trying to help them. Your situation sounds a bit trickier.

My advice would be to call the police every time there is a sniff of a problem. Get the owners involved, and if that means bypassing the agent, do that. If the owner will not do something to get them out, the police might be the only way you can force the issue by calling them each time and hoping this is enough to make the tenants move.

Good luck.

My advice would be to call the police every time there is a sniff of a problem. Get the owners involved, and if that means bypassing the agent, do that. If the owner will not do something to get them out, the police might be the only way you can force the issue by calling them each time and hoping this is enough to make the tenants move.

Good luck.

Hi Wylie,

Thanks for your reply.

Been through this before and trouble tenant was in the same unit,must be jinxed lol.
Anyway been advised to continue to call the police whenever an issue arises.

The owners are hard to contact as it's through a trust and a PO Box address.
Might have to do some more digging to see if i can get hold of the owner.

Anyhow,at the end of the day,PM and owner is only worried about the rent coming and they don't give rats who's in there.Well that's my take on it.

I've rung Rea re:noise etc and said they'd issue a letter regards noise etc.

Then another tenant has rung Rea and said they issue a notice to vacate,lease ends in march 2014.

Bloody joke,can't they do more seeing the tenants staying there aren't on the lease?

Cheers Spades.

Hi TMNT,

Norm for the area?You get these disturbances anywhere.Anyhow norm or not,it's not on.
Re:The area,there are pockets and no it's not a once off in certain pockets.
Area is being gentrified and rents on the rise,trouble makers will move on to a cheaper suburb.

Cheers Spades.

If you don't own it then there is nothing much you can do besides keep reporting to their PM about the problems and the owner if you can find them.

If the Owner chooses to do anything about it then they will need to find grounds, other than nonpayment of rent, to evict which might be difficult.

I would remind PM that the neighbours are entitled to your right of peace and quiet and could they please manage the situation.

I've always thought the suggestion I read here on SS would be worth a try... get the PM's mobile number, the owner's number too and call both of them AND the police each time there is a disturbance. It might make everyone realise that having your evening interrupted by a nuisance issue is annoying :D.

Hiya Spades
DH works with new migrants and refugees in settlement services. I wonder if your neighbours are newly arrived (0-5 years) in Australia; if so, they are eligible and possibly are receiving some sort of (social) support from a Multicultural Services agency. If you got in touch with the agency, you might find that they even have a case worker who is helping them, and who may assist you and others in your block, through helping to educate your neighbours on acceptable behavior in a unit block/ regulations/ correct ways to take out a lease etc etc. Some of which your neighbours may know perfectly well but life intervenes, or perhaps they simply do not know how some things operate.

I don't know Victorian services, but you could start with the web link below and see if they can tell you a local mutlicutlral service. Usually it's a not-for profit organization that is funded by Fed Govt. Centrelink/Human Services have special multicultural workers who may be able to refer you to a local service provider in your area.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/multicultural-service-officers

It's just a thought from a different angle that may achieve the outcome you wish.

Good luck.

This link is perhaps more useful.
http://www.vic.gov.au/health-commun...-programs/migrant-multicultural-services.html

The reason I'm suggesting this is that you may find there's case workers that can work with the actual neighbours, and work on the source of the issues. If they've come from a refugee camp, or from civil war zones etc, they may have been living in dangerous and unstable conditions for many years, and so there is quite an adjustment required to live in a quiet and peaceful society. Which doesn't make it easy for neighbours wanting a good night sleep.

some of the case workers are very helpful in this process. Or not, who knows??? But just an idea.

Disturbances!

All what Elke said,

also
having said that I have been a resident in a situation where I couldn't sleep due to neighbors 'comings and goings'

I discovered I was entitled to something called 'quiet enjoyment.'

If you are a renter, let your landlord know that you may be leaving due to the neighbours comings and goings, and they must provide 'quiet enjoyment'

You are entitled to sleep, and not be subjected to what ever is going on.

For me, I was getting ill from lack of sleep:(

Now I am much more forthright! If something 'comes and goes' make a point of letting them know their rights:p

Hi Hodge,

PM please your suggestion.

@Elke-refugees?...They've been here 10yrs and know how to work the system.
I'm gobsmacked on how much $$$ they get,incentives etc compared to your average joe.

Cheers Spades.

Hi LoneWolf,

I am moving out this week but not because of the above.
Only takes 1 apple to ruin the core.
So i'm trying to help out the owners/tenants to get rid of these @resholes.

Anyhow glad i'm moving out into a house and out of a unit complex.

Cheers Spades.

Can you do anything via owners corp? They should have owners corp rules and regulations to abide by. Just a different avenue that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

I've always thought the suggestion I read here on SS would be worth a try... get the PM's mobile number, the owner's number too and call both of them AND the police each time there is a disturbance. It might make everyone realise that having your evening interrupted by a nuisance issue is annoying :D.
This has actually been tried on me.....and worked.
I evicted them pronto as the property had become a "party house". I was getting mobile calls at 2am - even when on hols. Became a royal pain - especially when I started getting letters from the council threatening fines!

But of course, still might depend on the the owner.

Back