What would you do - move, sell, rent, etc?

I used a friends address to get my children into the school I preferred. Some schools do demand proof of residence others don't.

This is why I believe many schools now demand two types of proof, and a lease doesn't do it any more. Anybody can print out a lease and sign it.

I know that even though our friends had a lease, BSHS would not allow their son to select his subjects until they could produce two other means of proof of residence. They had to wait for their first utilities bill plus (from memory) the driver's licence change. He missed the cut off for subject selection, but it worked out okay.

I do also know that when our youngest went to our local primary school (we are not in the catchment but they have a sibling policy) there were about 20 or 25 families wanting to start their children there. The school started calling them, and saying "not in the catchment area, sorry, you must find another school". One by one the families accepted this, and found other schools.

My friend put her foot down, insisted that she had already bought the uniform, and refused to change. There were others who also took this stance, and the school backed down and created another half-class.

I'm not actually sure whether they really can send families to another school if you stand your ground. They certainly backed down in the year our youngest started there and did create a grade one/two combination class.

I could be worth calling the Education Department in your state to ask exactly where you stand if you insist on enrolling your child but are out of the area.

Who said you have to live there ;) - does the school accept a permanent van or cabin as your place of residence?

The Y-man

I sorta realised what you meant after I replied. To answer the question - no idea.

As JASA has suggested, there IS more to this than just the school - I have listened! ;)

Assuming that a move of some sort goes ahead, I was looking more at the structuring/options.

Back