what would you do? sticky, unnecessary situation

Im scratching my head here on what to do

Long story short without boring you
- Bought severely damaged unit
- Strata had unit taken off insurance due to condition, as they do
- Obviously will only reinstate when it's fixed and cert of occupancy
- I hire a few different people to work on the site for different jobs
- One guy quoted 4k for a job and one week,
- Ended up going 6 weeks and 8k which I was quite annoyed also because I was overseas for a month
- I had promised him more work which I didn't give to him obviously
- I simply told him I had no more money left and let me work out what I'm going to do, and left it at that, no agro or I'll feelings
- He still has the keys
- When he came and took all his equipment home, he took home a few extras which belonged to the other workers, including a toilet! But pretty minimal, there was heaps more stuff there but that was untouched
- When I got to the house, he had got a tube of sun cream and sprayed it on one wall, and got a wet roller and rolled it on another wall, obviously all I have to do is paint the two walls again so not too bad
- While he was working on site, he hired his acquaintance for.cheap manual labour, whom I met twice when we worked together
- Aquaitnace calls me and says the guy h as a habit of stealing stuff from work sites and he said that he told.him that he was intending to break in to my house and damage it (second guy to tell me the same story this week about his intentions to break into my house)
- I call cops and they say nothing I can do except to secure it
- My suggestion of them calling him and warning him not to be an idiot is not recommended (I did this year's ago and the cops called the guy and told him to behave and it worked well)

So what to do?
I've removed everything of value, changed the locks
I'm more concerned about damage as I can't insure it, unless I insure it as a house which it technically isn't a house as it's on a subdivided block, however isn't on a strata, don't really want to get it insured and get the claim. refused after getting piece of mind

I'm also considering a security camera, not sure if you can buy a cheap camera that relays all the footage back somewhere, but it needs to be removable

Anyone got any suggestions? As I'm still scratching my head here

Could you let him know you've reported his comments to the police. If they will not visit him, the fact that his plans have been reported to the police might make him revisit that idea.

What a horrible situation. Good luck.

I'd report him to the police anyway and have it on record.

Anything happens he will be the 1st suspect.

Cheers Spades.

If you have the quote in writing, he cannot just go and charge you double. The standard creeping of costs that people will cop on the chin is about 10%. Anything above that, politely indicate that you were at no time consulted about additional costs and asked for approval. Politely request he reissue the invoice in the amount indicated on the quote. If he kicks up a fuss, go to Consumer Affairs.

thanks everyone for the input, yeah not a nice situation to be in,

obviously the guy has a maturity of a 12 year old,

he is obviously annoyed that he didnt get any more work, which shouldnt surprise him

and to damage two walls was just silly too

Just trying to get it done, having to worry about this is the least of what I should be doing

me thinks if he does get in and sees a camera, he wouldnt be stupid enough to touch anything!

Find out where he lives.

Because the cops cannot do anything except advise him to secure his house.

Ah to think my stamp duty is paying for these leeches.

If he has damaged walls. Cant the police do something about that.

Also if he has taken items from the site that is stealing. Did the 2nd bloke see him take the items and will he give the cops a statement.

I would go back to the police and make them do a report on the items that are missing and the paint on the wall.

If they wont do anything go up the food chain or to another police station close.

If he has damaged walls. Cant the police do something about that.

Also if he has taken items from the site that is stealing. Did the 2nd bloke see him take the items and will he give the cops a statement.

I would go back to the police and make them do a report on the items that are missing and the paint on the wall.

If they wont do anything go up the food chain or to another police station close.

I agree with this. He HAS damaged walls wilfully. I would involve the police and at least he will know that he has a target on his back and might be more careful if he is planning something else.

Back