What would you do to this kitchen?

image2.jpg

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-ballarat-115517559

Just purely brainstorming for the sake of it

on a bang for buck budget, what can you do to a kitchen like this old style in with a hole in the wall?

fill up the hole to make it look modern but kill the space? ( my gut says big holes in the wall will always make it look old)

Cut out the arch leading into the kitchen from living/dining

Id also move the taps to the otherside and combine it with the kitchen

maybe a straight line to open it up, or do you think it will be too open into the lounge room (see other photo)
Put new tiles
new light fixture

When you see the longer view into the kitchen, I would leave the old stove recess for the fridge and cooker, but nicer ones. I'd put the sink under the window and remove the Lshape return that blocks the living room from the kitchen. Make the current sink a long run of bench. I'd move the table and bench seats further out of the kitchen, or remove them altogether and use an island bench on casters that could be moved about (maybe not for an IP). The wall where the sink is now could have overhead cupboards that turn the corner or you could add shelving on either side of the recess to give more storage without being overbearing like overhead cupboards could be in that small space. It could make up for losing storage in the Lshape return.

Brain storm says

- take out dividing bench to living area to open it up
- plasterboard up that recess
- run a U shaped kitchen under window (same as current), along plasterboard wall and down wall where sink is.

By opening up to living area I feel you can get away with losing the 600mm from the recess end that would happen when you plasterboard up that recess.
You can still access the gas line inside the recess pretty easily to put an oven on the new side of the plasterboard.

The lower cost option is
- turn recess into a cupboard with a wall oven

image2.jpg

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-ballarat-115517559

Just purely brainstorming for the sake of it

on a bang for buck budget, what can you do to a kitchen like this old style in with a hole in the wall?

fill up the hole to make it look modern but kill the space? ( my gut says big holes in the wall will always make it look old)

Cut out the arch leading into the kitchen from living/dining

Id also move the taps to the otherside and combine it with the kitchen

maybe a straight line to open it up, or do you think it will be too open into the lounge room (see other photo)
Put new tiles
new light fixture

make the recess into a pantry/broom/storage with doors ,take the fridge and stove and place them on the wall that has the existing sink ,move the sink over under the window ,forget the breakfast bar ,if you have the room have a island bench on castors in the middle for extra bench space

Fridge where it is, other 2/3rds of recess into panty. Move sink under window, current sink area make to benchtop with cooktop and underbench oven, and overhead cupboards with range hood.

Sink to the window. Cupboard doors over the recess and turn it into a pantry. Could greatly improve that kitchen without spending much money.

make the recess into a pantry/broom/storage with doors ,take the fridge and stove and place them on the wall that has the existing sink ,move the sink over under the window ,forget the breakfast bar ,if you have the room have a island bench on castors in the middle for extra bench space

This is what I would have done.
Its nice to have a flush wall that actually has cupboards. Only issue is that it may need to be custom depending on depth.

Also if the depth of the recess is greater than 700mm and higher than 1800mm, I would consider putting the fridge cavity there too. This way the fridge can sit almost flush with the wall.

No, every kitchen needs a dedicated panty storage area, how else will the mrs get fresh underwear without lengthening the chain?

Never know they are used at home. And definitely not in this kitchen. Then what's the point of having a solid table there?

Back