What would you do with $300k in Brisbane?

Finally got a car so now I am back into seriously looking at an IP.

My calculations show that if I borrow $300k I can make the repayments without too much hardship.

So...it seems that could get a house in Woodridge, Logan (but maybe issues there with tenant quality). Otherwise probably looking at a unit somewhere. I have seen units near Chermside mall (busway coming soon) for that. Also Nundah has some older ones for around that price.

If so where would you recommend?

Thanks

Jesse

Last edited:
I have spent quite a bit of time in this area and surrounding suburbs recently.

Would strongly suggest looking at the streets and properties individually and not just the numbers on a suburb level, have a walk around Logan Central shopping centre and observe the locals and talk to the small shop owners, that's good fun :)

Definitely get out in person and look for yourself, or at the least google street view around these areas.

@ Winston lol I was waiting for someone on here to point out something like that about that property i linked to. I didnt even look at the map. 10mtrs is a little too close. Perhaps tenants may not mind but I would if I ever moved in there for whatever reason.
I thought perhaps someone might say it was next door to a block of 50 QLD Housing units.
That is something else that I need to check out about that area. I will do a search on this forum as I have seen other threads on here about Logan/Woodridge that talk about certain streets and discrete areas to stay away from.

3 bedroom house (around 10-15 years old) in forest lake perhaps for just over 300k...

The ones in Forest Lake for $350k or less seem to be on very small blocks some as small as 320m2.
I think long term I might be better off in logan which is closer to the train and where I can get a place with a 600m-700m2 block.
Having said that, there are advantages to those newish brick places in terms of maintenance, now and ongoing.
So thanks for the tip about that suburb I will add it to my considerations.

Jesse

How about ipswich and surrounds? redbank plains, coll. park, durrack, carole park, gailes. I'd look for easy access to brissie. One may say they're not the best suburbs *right now*.. but look what happened to Inala!

The reason I prefer logan or beenleigh or places like that is that they are on the way to the Gold Coast. I see that as advantageous.
Ipswich is away from the city and away from the beach.
Logan is on the way to the gold coast. Its on a more natural corridor.
Plus Ipswich gets a lot colder in winter. The further inland you go from the Coast the hotter/colder it is. The coast mediates the temperature so it is less intense heat in summer and less intense cold in winter/night.

Having said all that I take your point about considering Ipswich because infrastructure is important. I would want to buy close to a train I think that is one of the most important things.

The ones in Forest Lake for $350k or less seem to be on very small blocks some as small as 320m2.
I think long term I might be better off in logan which is closer to the train and where I can get a place with a 600m-700m2 block.

In 01/03 I was up there looking at RE around Brisbane area.
What put me off Coombabah was the small blocks, when 3/4bm LUG were selling for <170k.
A few local friends though told me they like that area and bought multiples.
I chose close to Brisbane :eek: those "not quality" properties now sell for ~400k. (doh!)
1892_mad_smiley_banging_head_against_a_brick_wall.gif

Proverb is a small block is not necessarily a bad thing.
Does anyone here like mowing lawns, or is it just me...

ftr those locals have been buying north of BNE lately.

The reason I prefer logan or beenleigh or places like that is that they are on the way to the Gold Coast. I see that as advantageous.
Ipswich is away from the city and away from the beach.
Logan is on the way to the gold coast. Its on a more natural corridor.
Plus Ipswich gets a lot colder in winter. The further inland you go from the Coast the hotter/colder it is. The coast mediates the temperature so it is less intense heat in summer and less intense cold in winter/night.

Having said all that I take your point about considering Ipswich because infrastructure is important. I would want to buy close to a train I think that is one of the most important things.
Keep an eye on this site,i missed one out at Boonah a few weeks,below 150k ago just was not quick enough,run down house on a 28.3 perches-716 sq metres by the time i was half way down there it was under contract..willair..

http://www.pt.qld.gov.au/Auction---Sales/Houses-for-Sale.aspx

Another advantage of Sunnybank Hills and Calamvale is their popularity with Asians. If cashed up Asians are moving to Australia in bigger numbers, and eventually Brisbane sees some of that, then these suburbs will benefit first and most imho. I was actually over at a Buddhist temple in Calamvale a few weeks ago....seating capacity was probably 400, and full house.

Back