What would you do with this kitchen?

Hi :)

We have updated our bathroom and flooring and some window decoration etc in our temporary PPoR (soon to be 1st IP) but still need to tackle the old 70's style kitchen. We're unsure wheher to rip it out and install a Bunnings flatpak with new appliances and sink at a cost of approx $3.5k or to update the existing kitchen.

The main problems are:
the width of the benches are inconsistent and there's not enough bench or storage space generally.
The taps exit from the wall, not the benchtop/sink and it's too expensive to change it.
We also need to consider if we should maximise food prep space and sacrifice a meals area, albeit small. It's a one bedroom apartment with a decent sized living (which could have a small dining table if desired).
There's an under bench hot water unit in the corner, so combined with the taps and oven placement we have very little flexibility with regards to design.

Take a look at these photos and tell me your thought if you would please....:D

Attachments

• DSCF5107.jpg
    DSCF5107.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCF5110.jpg
    DSCF5110.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 213
  • kitchen_bishop.jpg
    kitchen_bishop.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 251
The main problems are:
the width of the benches are inconsistent and there's not enough bench or storage space generally.

When you say "not enough", I think you should change that situation.

[/LIST]The taps exit from the wall, not the benchtop/sink and it's too expensive to change it.

The taps situation is probably not too bad as you will almost certainly leave the sink in the same place?

So without knowing all the details, I'd suggest replace rather than "update".

I'm no expert, but the first thing that jumped out at me is the wood grain doors. Can these be painted/replaced so you have a white kitchen?

As regard storage space, there's room above the cupboard near the stove. Maybe have a high drawer for infrequently used stuff. Or maybe replace with a taller cupboard reaching to the ceiling with an extra shelf. Although that might make the room look slightly smaller?

The other candidate is that kitchenette. Nice for displaying plates etc but people in 1br units don't have the space for that. Can that be replaced with a narrower one (2/3 the width) with a new floor to ceiling cupboard for broom, ironing board, vacuum cleaner etc?. Problem here is you'd be losing bench space which is one of the things you wanted more of.

If the unit was in a posh area maybe a new kitchen would be good. But otherwise what you've got looks neat enough and could just do with some updating (eg I don't like the bench being a lower level than the sink).

BURN IT! you will get a happy tennent, tax deduction and perhaps a better understanding that will be with you for the rest of your living years on how to build a new kitchen, pretty good value !
if you rented the home would you be happy with it?

I'm with craig - unless you are on the tightest of tight budgets, gut the whole damn thing, put benches everywhere you can and overhead cupboards for storage. Not cheap, but will last a long time.

Can you rip out the kitchen and one of the walls if it joins the lounge? Seen quite a few places where ripping out a wall can makethe kitchen/lounge feel much more spacious.

I suspect that would increase the value and rent income quite a lot.

I'm no expert, but the first thing that jumped out at me is the wood grain doors. Can these be painted/replaced so you have a white kitchen?

I agree,Oil base undercoat the bottom cupboards and doors and paint a light color.The top cupboards,leave them the way they are as they are timber

Depends....If u want to keep it for quite a while (>5 years) then replace it....But really it doesn't look too bad to me and a good covering of gloss enamel paint might just do the trick on the lower cupboards. Get 3 quotes from handymen to do the cupboards if u don't want to do it yourself.
Cheers,
JB

Hi :)

We have updated our bathroom and flooring and some window decoration etc in our temporary PPoR (soon to be 1st IP) but still need to tackle the old 70's style kitchen. We're unsure wheher to rip it out and install a Bunnings flatpak with new appliances and sink at a cost of approx $3.5k or to update the existing kitchen.

Take a look at these photos and tell me your thought if you would please....:D

It depends on how much you want to spend on the new kitchen and whether that will contribute to you receiving extra per week in rent, if so how much extra return is that.

Looking at the pictures the kitchen is not too bad so if it were me, I would do the following:

Get a quantity surveyor in before you rent out the place, he/she will place a value on the kitchen and everything else in your house. Then rent out the place. When there is a break in the lease and you want to replace the kitchen, rip it out and immediately claim a deduction for the write off of the old kitchen based on what value is left on it from your depreciation schedule. Then install a new kitchen and start depreciating.

If you pull the kitchen out now, you cant claim a deduction for the write off value as the house is a PPOR and not an IP.

I did my own kitchen i ripped out the old kitchen (very easy) used the ikea design software they have to design the kitchen, purchased and assambled the cupboards myself and got a handy man in to install and level them he charged $350 for a days labour to install the kitchen. Saved me a lot of money

I would gut and replace kitchen.

Will you be taking the pine hutch with you when you turn PPOR into IP?

Can you draw a rough floor plan of the kitchen you have now (as I am wondering is there a doorway near the fridge?

Can you put the fridge near the freezer etc.

Sheryn

Looks very similar to an old kitchen I ripped out in a unit about 9 yrs ago now- only mine was much smaller!

If it were me.... I'd rip it out and re-install a new one. Don't sweat about the taps coming out from the wall. So did mine and it was fairly easy to re-position them on the sink. Any competent plumber should be able to do this for you. Widen the benchtops, install as many overhead cupboards (all the way to the ceiling) and ditch the buffet on the side for a drop down table that will double as your dining space. I've seen this in a few units and when not in use they simply double as a servery area. Happy renovating!

Will you be taking the pine hutch with you when you turn PPOR into IP?

Actually it was the old landlord's and it's already gone.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. A few different opinions. We'd definitely paint it if leaving it as is. Definitely wont change the position of the taps.

Cheers.
;)

ikea kitchen cost

I did my own kitchen i ripped out the old kitchen (very easy) used the ikea design software they have to design the kitchen, purchased and assambled the cupboards myself and got a handy man in to install and level them he charged $350 for a days labour to install the kitchen. Saved me a lot of money

Way to go - how much was the IKEA kitchen and what did it not include?

shelves, hooks, paint

Doesn't look too bad to me... if you can DIY, I'd white knight paint the cuboard doors. Also consider: new bench where buffet is with cupboards above; open shelves either side of window and anywhere else they'll fit; cup books on underside of top cupboards... all of these would increase storage.

Back