What's happening in QLD?

Discussion in 'Coffee Lounge' started by jackbak, 24th Sep, 2012.

1. jackbak

jackbak Member

From someone living in a southern state (VIC), I find we are constantly getting mixed signals about the state of affairs in QLD. On one hand, we hear about this mining boom that is transforming both QLD and WA and bringing in all this investment. Then on the other hand we hear about a struggling economy, falling house prices, public sector staff cuts, etc, etc.

So what exactly is gong on? Is it boom or bust?

2. JennD

JennD Property Observer editor

I think it's worth remembering that there are micro-markets within Queensland - as far as I can tell some areas (e.g. tourist areas) are struggling while others (e.g. mining areas) are booming...

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Member

Confused = Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast
    Same as every where else

Some areas are doing well due to infrastructure projects mining and energy, but the majority is till a buyers market

Ta
    rolf

4. norwoodman

norwoodman Member

Different situation in different parts of the state. Places like the Gold and Sunshine Coasts are still on the decline while other areas to the north like Emerald, Gladstone and Mackay have been holding strong. It's the less sexy, less well known areas that tend to be doing better at the current time. It really is a series of different markets rather than one which you can generalise on.

5. Ricky Tarr

Ricky Tarr Member

Speaking of the Sunny Coast, prices have crashed there over the last couple of years. I took a casual look last week, and there are apartments 2 minutes walk from the beach that are 30% cheaper than 5 years ago. I also know of someone who purchased acreage up there recently at 40% below what the vendor was asking!