whats happening to australia?

I believe it started when corporal punishment was taken out of the schools and also out of the homes.Parents could no longer discipline their own kids without threats of arrest.:(

When it comes to children I put more blame on the parents than I do the law and school.

Schools are struggling to implement the softest of discipline now, for fear of having the parents abuse and threaten them.

In other cases if young Kaydee or Rryse aren't singled out as special the parents get very upset.

I know of one recent case where the child was clowning around in class and not completing work, so the teacher gave him work to complete at home on top of other homework.

After a couple of nights the father literally barged into the class and verbally abused the teacher because they had upset their child :confused:.

That's a tame case in comparison to what happens around the country everyday ... try multiplying that by 3 to 5 and throwing in some parental disrespect for the environment, other people and the law.

Then add some exposure to abuse or violence for good measure and presto...

I would be mortified if my child did that.

me too ... i went crook at a bloke who was walking in front of my today because he littered. i didn't think twice (maybe i should've) but he was embarrased enough to pick it back up.

wow - if someone i knew stole (or didn't know)! would they cop an earful or what! wasn't that long ago i went off at some bloke in the supermarket who picked up a deoderant, sprayed some on and then put it back ... he gave me a mouthful back but i think he was because he was mortified at someone saying something to him.

Has anyone you know been arrested for smacking their child?
I can't think of anyone I know.....

No I don't know anyone personally,
Its just that the teenagers now seem to have no fear.
This was in the old days, installed into their brains very young,
Sometime at school,sometimes at home by parents.

I don't know how others on this forum were brought up,
however I was raised old school.

Perhaps it has a lot to do with parents working more :confused:

When it comes to children I put more blame on the parents than I do the law and school.

Schools are struggling to implement the softest of discipline now, for fear of having the parents abuse and threaten them.

Perhaps the teachers themselves are only children ?

Has anyone you know been arrested for smacking their child?

I can't think of anyone I know.....

from recent memory there was a lady in victoria arrested and taken to court for smacking her child ... i'd try and find the incident but can't be bothered after a triple nip of whisky to try and avenge this darned head cold that won't leave!

here it is ... but is because she threatened to smack with a wooden spoon rather than her hand:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion...from-child-abuse/story-e6frfhqf-1225787344987

gosh - i remember mum breaking the wooden spoon once (wasn't on my butt thank goodness)

Do gooder, bleeding heart civil libertarians is what happened to Australia. Used to be law abiding citizens had rights but now only the criminals have rights and too bad for the rest of us.

Perhaps the teachers themselves are only children ?

I think teachers love nothing more than for the parents to work with them.

Teachers like the law, aren't there to raise our children.

That is the parents job. A child will only know accountability and responsibility if it's taught and followed through at home.

Do gooder, bleeding heart civil libertarians is what happened to Australia. Used to be law abiding citizens had rights but now only the criminals have rights and too bad for the rest of us.

I would have to agree with Natmarie73. Okay, I admit, I felt the end of the wooden spoon or the frying pan cord on several occasions but it was that my parents wanted me on the straight and narrow. And as a parent myself, I can see that. No real harm done - just a quick understanding of what is right and what is wrong. It seems as though the wrongdoers just push the bar more and more to see what they can get away with ... and they forget or dismiss the fact that someone else is on the "negative" receiving end of their actions.
Frizzle

I would have to agree with Natmarie73. Okay, I admit, I felt the end of the wooden spoon or the frying pan cord on several occasions but it was that my parents wanted me on the straight and narrow. And as a parent myself, I can see that. No real harm done - just a quick understanding of what is right and what is wrong. It seems as though the wrongdoers just push the bar more and more to see what they can get away with ... and they forget or dismiss the fact that someone else is on the "negative" receiving end of their actions.
Frizzle

Anyone who beats their child with an electrical cord should be prosecuted.

I used to get my Grandma's wooden clog/thongs on my backside until I was old enough to outrun her :)

My girls think I am making it up :)

Okay, I admit, I felt the end of the wooden spoon or the frying pan cord on several occasions but it was that my parents wanted me on the straight and narrow. And as a parent myself, I can see that. No real harm done

:confused:

There are other more effective ways to discipline than through fear of having pain inflicted on you.

One reaction to this would have to be to not get caught next time, especially if you don't understand exactly why it was wrong.

:confused:

There are other more effective ways to discipline than through fear of having pain inflict upon you.

Weg, with one's own life experiences, you adjust how you bring up your own children and having four of my own, neither a spoon nor a cord was in sight at any stage.
Frizzle

Weg, with one's own life experiences, you adjust how you bring up your own children and having four of my own, neither a spoon nor a cord was in sight at any stage.
Frizzle

That's good to hear. I'm far from supporting the softly softly approach, but hitting indiscriminately or inflicting pain is primitive and can often achieve the opposite to what you're trying to teach.

SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2009

Scenario :
Jack goes rabbit shooting before school,
pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his rifle & chats with Jack about guns.

2009 - School goes into lock down, Star Force called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again.. Counsellors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario:
Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2009 - Police called, arrests Johnny and Mark.. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it. Both children go to anger management programs for 3 months. School board hold meeting to impliment bullying prevention programs

Scenario:
Robbie won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 - Robbie sent to office and given 6 of the best by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2009 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. Robbie's parents get fortnightly disability payments and School gets extra funding from state because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario :
Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.

Scenario :
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark gets glass of water from Principal to take aspirin with.

2009 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario :
Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2009 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. AFRE files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario :
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from Guy Fawkes, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a bullant nest.

1957 - Ants die.

2009- State Police, Star Force, Federal Police & Anti-terrorism Squad called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, Feds investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated. Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario :
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary . Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

SCHOOL -- 1957

Obviously wasn't a Catholic school then! Christian Brothers anyone?

And since when was it ever OK for an unsupervised kid to rock up to school with a gun?

Give me a break... what a load of... :mad:

(with apologies to supporters of Catholic schools but the most ardent supporter would have to acknowledge the historical record is not good...)

Of course it's not perfect and I might be living in a different place to everyone else or something but to me this is the best time to be living in the best country in the world!

Can't think of a better one anyway...

tell all the Mum's lined up to pick up their kids from school that they are safer walking home than 30 years ago.

for me, a good cup of coffee isn't as important a social indicator as the quality of life for the lower quintile.

anyway, let's stop talking anecdotes and see who has the biggest stats.

The ABS defines assault as the direct infliction of force, injury or violence upon a person, including attempts or threats. It excludes sexual assault.
There were 176,427 recorded assaults in Australia in 2007, constituting 840 victims per 100,000 of the population.

Assaults from 1995 to 2007 (number per month)
fig016.ashx

• The trend in assaults shows an average growth of five percent each year from 1995 to 2007, four times the annual growth of the Australian population in the same period.
  • Assault is seasonal. The number of assaults peaks in the spring and summer months of October to February and is lowest from April to July.

Back