whats happening to australia?

hi all,

What is happening to Australia? I mean, it seems that everyday we read of a stabbing, a bashing, gatecrashers causing fights, child abductions, gang rapes etc.

Only yesterday, we had the sad case of a 12 year old boy getting stabbed and later dying, in the same day, a young girl was abducted for 90 minutes in Wagga. It seems that gatercrashers take great delight in violently ruining a party. More recent cases of sexual assaults, grannies getting raped and later dying, etc etc. Then there is the spate of Indian bashings etc.

I recall when i was at school, not that long ago, that the most severe thing one could get busted for was sneaking a smoke in the playground. Now it seems that everything has escalated beyond belief.

What is causing all of this? Lack of discipline, respect? Lack or morality etc. Boredom. Who knows? But it is a worrying turn.

Are we heading for a social disaster?

Curious.

g

hi all,

What is happening to Australia? I mean, it seems that everyday we read of a stabbing, a bashing, gatecrashers causing fights, child abductions, gang rapes etc.

Only yesterday, we had the sad case of a 12 year old boy getting stabbed and later dying, in the same day, a young girl was abducted for 90 minutes in Wagga. It seems that gatercrashers take great delight in violently ruining a party. More recent cases of sexual assaults, grannies getting raped and later dying, etc etc. Then there is the spate of Indian bashings etc.

I recall when i was at school, not that long ago, that the most severe thing one could get busted for was sneaking a smoke in the playground. Now it seems that everything has escalated beyond belief.

What is causing all of this? Lack of discipline, respect? Lack or morality etc. Boredom. Who knows? But it is a worrying turn.

Are we heading for a social disaster?

Curious.

g
I don't think it was any different 30 years ago,2 faced pollies-drug barons from the black hand-outlaws mc's,bent police from the top down-underground lawless groups,but the media is in control of the way most people think in Austrtalia now,i'm unsure what the cause
is but when you look at the numbers is it any worse then it was in the early 1980-1990's,maybe go back too the old "Bush Law"where people did not ring the Police, they just dealt with the problem the way they saw fit..willair..

Last edited:
bring back the cane instead of the oh send him to counsiling and wacking them on supposed calm down pills.
when I was a kid no one would home invade our house as they were likely to get shot now the crims have more guns then the law abiding citizen...

Yeah it's pretty bad and scary, so much violence. I think it starts from the culture here of booze and many parents on ice. :rolleyes:

perhaps it comes from the "unsuitable" parents have 6 kids, as apposed to those who bring their kids up responsibly having only 2-3.

doesn't take long for the good kids to be outnumbered.

although - i think a lot of what we hear always went on, it just wasn't reported in the media to the extent that it is now, which causes a vicious cycle.

The story about the 12yo is terribly sad and it does make you wonder.

I think some crimes have increased and overall there seems to be less accountability. Other than the Judge, it seems no one is allowed to judge or repremand a person incase they breach the law or break PC rules :confused:.

Prison sentences for repeat offenders are shorter also, and new offenders seem to get more slaps on the wrist, so more offenders are out still doing their thing with no clear message sent that their behaviour will not be tolerated.

Then there's the drugs that cause far more erratic and psychotic behavious than previously, in combination with the antisocial personality... this type of criminal was not so common before either.

I think there's a few things to this:

1. I think there is an increase in crime and it's worsening, due to I believe, lack of discipline and respect (people now abuse police officers instead of having that harmless 'fear'/respect of them which I find appalling). I'm only 32, so I can only go by what I hear from older generations saying what "their day" used to be like. Doors unlocked, women could walk the street at night etc. etc. My mother grew up in a poorer suburb (Carlton, which in the 50's and 60's was a poorer suburb), and she said the worst you'd really see is the odd drunk yelling out, unfortunately they are probably the most harmless today. Even the stories I hear going on in schools now, also shock me compared to 'my day' only 15 years ago.

2. I think drugs play a big part in some of the problems in society today, and would support the death penalty for the dealers here.

3. Media reports it more, so we are aware of more things.

4. Population has increased enormously the last few decades, so the number of crimes will go up, whether the % is increasing with the population though, I don't know. But of course there will be a larger number of crimes for the media to report.

perhaps it comes from the "unsuitable" parents have 6 kids, as apposed to those who bring their kids up responsibly having only 2-3.

Hey, I have 5 siblings and we're all good kids! Responsible parents and all.

I do get your point though.

Media reports and more of the parental population working. Whilst some parents can balance the work and parenting, I've seen many that can't, leading to less involvement in their kids lives.
This might be as simple as less parents being home after school in the neighborhood, so instead of kids being able to play outside or with friends and you know jonny's mum is home and keeping an eye on them, know it's more than likely jonny's mum isn't home and able to provide less mischevious things to do than kids can come up with (unintentionally often) on their own when they're bored.
Also means fewer parents are aware of who is in their kids peer group(s), also made harder by the online age.

This is not a criticism of working parents, rather just a fact that kids are more likely to get up to mischief when left on their own, unchecked it can (does not always though) lead down hill.

Sorry I haven't said that very clearly.

bring back the cane instead of the oh send him to counsiling and wacking them on supposed calm down pills.
when I was a kid no one would home invade our house as they were likely to get shot now the crims have more guns then the law abiding citizen...

You think ADHD is not a treatable condition where appropriate medication changes the life of the sufferer?

You think ADHD is not a treatable condition where appropriate medication changes the life of the sufferer?

Absolutely agree - my brother was diagnosed with ADHD (after years of hell for our family) many years ago when it was still fairly 'new'. Putting him on medication was such a relief to everyone. It DID benefit him, he calmed down, was able to concentrate, made friends in school instead of being hated by everyone, doing poorly in school and torturing his family. So ADHD IS a genuine condition and drugs are appropriate for these kids. I think what some people mix up now, is that there seems to MAYBE be an over diagnosis of it, and drugging kids who don't even have ADHD, or kids as young as 2 and 3 who might just be mischevious kids. This is what then leads to the black and white opinions of people ADHD does/does not exist. It DOES exist, but, maybe some children who are treated for it, don't actually have it, or are over medicated.

and more of the parental population working. Whilst some parents can balance the work and parenting, I've seen many that can't, leading to less involvement in their kids lives.

I've heard this one all too often and my experience with thousands of families with criminal offspring is that this is not the case.

If anything in the large majority someone is home, and many have both parents at home all of the time.

It's the quality/effectivenss of the parenting, what's happening at home, and whether the parents have problems/issues themselves that makes the biggest difference.

yeah ADHD is a treatable condition with the right medication such as ritlin
my point was the kids playing it up that have no mental health condition etc just less discpline and no fear as they have much more laxed laws and they know it...

For a clearer picture of the most common crimes and what's behind some of the more serious ones, a look at your state government court site is a must.

The 'Judges remarks/findings' gives the offenders background and upbringing in the Supreme and District court cases, and the 'case list' shows the more common types of crimes committed.

i think it just seems like it happens a lot because you get it first thing in the morning, on the radio news on the way to work, midday news, 4:30 news, drive home news, evening news, then it's on ACA / TT, then it in the sunday "recap" paper.

a 12 year old getting stabbed is a woeful event, i would look to the perpetrator's parents and ask what were they NOT doing that caused this?

children need fear to keep them in line - fear of punishment. this heart on your sleeve namby greenie hippy bullsh*t about "let them be" only worked on the namby greenie hippies because they had discipline to begin with.

my immediate thought, when hearing about the kid stabbing, was that the perpetrator was probably bullied to the state where he thought there was no other option.

i may be completely wrong. bullying in schools seems to have taken on a whole new life of it own with new technology.

I wrote to the PM last year with my concerns on the violence in this country and how kids are getting beat up and bullied at schools.

I know this won't be popular and I was a big rugby fan as a kid, right up until 30. I still enjoy watching the Wallabies and it's not the game it's the culture that has evolved, it's not the only reason for violence in the country but I believe it's one of the causes.

Here is what I wrote below last year when there was lot's of violence with football. I got a huge letter back from a local politician explaining all the ways they plan to make things better including some programs starting at local football clubs that sounded positive:

To Kevin Rudd & Julia Gillard.

I wanted to write to you expressing my disappointment that you both are big supporters of the main breeding ground of the extreme amount of violence in Australians society. Recently I seen you both at the football premier matches proudly supporting the thugs that play this game. Although it is mainly league players that seem to be so involved with violence, football is football. I'm actually disappointed especially in Kevin Rudd as I really thought you were too smart and above it to be caught in the bogan activities like football. As we have just seen on our tv news today, school kids beating each other up in league games.

It's appalling how Australians worship football especially with all the negative aspects it brings to society like thuggery, bogan behavior, aggressive and angry attitudes, naive idiotness, excessive drinking, and just so many more problems it would take hours to write. It is also amazing how much TV time is devoted to football in this country. I'm tired of seeing little brat kids with rat tails wearing their idols clothes and this is the future of our country.

So many people overseas really hate Australians especially with all the bashings of foreign student s by these thugs that represent the darker and large side of our country.

It's about time that you see through the stupidness of this idiotic game and start supporting more acceptable sports that breed better Australians like golf and tennis. Step away from supporting the bogan sport that Australia is well knowns and hated for.

I was actually speaking to my oldest boy last week about bullying (just one of our usual chat-a chats before bedtime).

The subject came up again after watching an episode of The Biggest Loser and I reminded my children that the memories of bullying have haunted this person since he was at school.

This:

Lizzie:

PLUS this:

Mooze
This is not a criticism of working parents, rather just a fact that kids are more likely to get up to mischief when left on their own, unchecked it can (does not always though) lead down hill.

Equals Disaster.

Just a horrible thing to happen.:(

Regards JO

Back