What's hot 2013 (Melbourne)

"I was surprised too! What kind of analysis are you looking for?"

Comparable sales over a 12 month period that show anywhere near a 16.5% increase would be great.

I personally believe there are still some great buys in that area. Not just the unit market.

"I was surprised too! What kind of analysis are you looking for?"

Comparable sales over a 12 month period that show anywhere near a 16.5% increase would be great.

I personally believe there are still some great buys in that area. Not just the unit market.

yes that is far more valuable than raw stats, beaumaris sales showing 32% growth would also be interesting to see.

Thanks for sharing Jake.

To me it's always a double edge sword whether those suburbs that have had good growth for past 12mths will make good growth for the next 12mths. Oh to have a crystal ball to get in to those suburbs 12mths ago.

Common element though is good infrastructure, distance to city and also flow on affect from more affluent neighbouring suburbs.

For those who are asking for more property suburbs rankings, additional information, prognostications of the future, I would say one thing to you. Jake has provided extensive information sources that in addition to your own intuition and reading of the market, gives you an fantastic opportunity to choose a suburb(s) and properties that suit your circumstances.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

If you are wanting additional insight and due diligence, you should be paying for it, like you do with any intellectual property.

Kudos to you JM, for sharing...

For those who are asking for more property suburbs rankings, additional information, prognostications of the future, I would say one thing to you. Jake has provided extensive information sources that in addition to your own intuition and reading of the market, gives you an fantastic opportunity to choose a suburb(s) and properties that suit your circumstances.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

If you are wanting additional insight and due diligence, you should be paying for it, like you do with any intellectual property.

Kudos to you JM, for sharing...

can't agree with you there Buzz,

i am all for people learning how to fish however, raw stats with no substance behind them can be very dangerous to an inexperienced investor who takes them as gospel, just trying to prevent a novice going fishing for a great white shark in a dingy with a plastic rod.

I do like how Jake has "stuck his neck out" so to speak. At least when the next "Where should I buy in Melbourne" question pops up, I don't have to have my random suburb picker program going :) Are the figures "realistic", do they set false expectations? Maybe - but I think it is important to have a "starting point", and a "comparison point" - i.e. if Suburb X performs "better" than Suburb Y, then I say good enough.

I guess to me, it is because I perceive more analysis paralysis (of "where should I buy") than cases where people couldn't swim fast enough after the shark bit half the dingy in two, and the person couldn't swim fast enough.....

The Y-man

Always harder to put a "stake in the sand" than to throw stones at others ideas.

Well done Jake.

BTW - Best BA for 2012. - Congrats.

I'm sure Jake would have spent hours compiling, comparing and analysing data and statistics, as well as conducting extensive research to provide this information free of charge to all forum members here.

I'm only reasonably new to the forum, but I'm of the opinion that Jake has provided invaluable information here and I think some of the people who have posted above have been a little ungrateful for what he's done.

If I were looking to purchase in Melbourne, this would be great info to start me off. Anyone who doubts him or wants him to show statistics to back up his claims - no one is forcing you to believe what has been put forward. And no one is going to do all the work for you - why don't you do your own due diligence?

Sorry for the rant, but I don't think Jake should be scrutinised after providing such valuable information. Congrats on your award, Jake, and keep up the good work.

I don't think there is anything wrong with questioning Jake's stats. He was the one who decided to post them on the forum. It's great when people here share their thoughts and opinions.

I follow the Fairfield/Alphington/Northcote market quite closely and was quite surprised in is view of such a high annual growth percentage. I was really interested to hear how his analysis can vary so much from my personal opinion.

SOP

What was hot today....

Well aside from watching out in the sun at this auction in Albert Park, the strong bidding between 3 and then ultimately 2 prospective buyers (1 buyers agent), for it to be sold for $1.215m. On the market at $1.1m.

Jake, was wondering what your thoughts are on black rock units/townhouses?

Rental yields are rubbish

You would need a lot of growth to justify holding costs.

If you interested in that sort of area the. I would look at Sandringham. They have a train station which makes it more popular with city workers.

Just my general thoughts on bayside/ Kingston - best looking suburbs in Melbourne, great beaches but not popular with young eople who tend to be attracted to Elwood / stkilda. Also commute to city by car is terrible - nepean highway is too congested and it will only get worse. I feel this will deter city workers from these areas in the years to come.

Jake, was wondering what your thoughts are on black rock units/townhouses?

I wouldn't consider this area solely for investment purposes. It's a fantastic place for a lifestyle property or a big post war PPOR ...and if you bought a PPOR here it'd may grow quite well over the next 5-8 years as predictions are pointing to double digit growth for houses...

The problems though, are that Black Rock has only performed at 5.6% CG over the last ten years and as mentioned previously because the best assets here are family sized houses your yields will be inherently lower than areas closer to the CBD.

Would also like some thoughts on Inner North/Western suburbs, Flemington/North Melbourne/Kensington/Ascot Vale area.

Some great buying in North and West Melbourne - the bonus here is value for money. One has to be very careful in which streets and assets they buy in because often Suburbs like Flemington, for example, have beautiful tree lined streets such as Farnham St but then right nearby have hideous overbuilt areas like Holland Court.

My thoughts are try and stick to suburbs along the Yarra/Maribyrnong River but stay away from pro-development streets and industrial areas.

Back