What's Margaret Lomas telling people to buy?

Lomas Hot Spots 2015

Margaret's picks are below

SA
Salisbury
Woodcroft
Ottoway
Aldinga Beach
Modbury
Golden Grove

WA
Baldivis
Bentley
Kelmscott
Mandurah
Medina
Safety Beach
Girrawheen
Secret Harbour

VIC
Carrum Downs
Cranbourne
Sunshine
Maribyrnong
Keilor
Castlemaine
Deer Park

QLD
Helensvale
Rockville
Rocklea
Noth Toowoomba
Forest Lake
Landsborough
Mango Hill
Rothwell
Deception Bay

NSW
Gosford
Merrylands
Mayfield
Liverpool
Badgerys Creek

Cheers Coota

From what I've seen Yardney is more for places just outside CBD's with higher density and lack of land = growing prices

Not a bad strategy I guess but they aren't cheap to buy

Upon following Lomas 20 must ask question book, hackham ticked the boxes for me back in 2013 now it's on her recomened places.

What sort of questions are those in the book ?
is it for selecting a good suburbs ?

Rocklea looked promising until wikipedia returned this:

Rocklea is one of Brisbane's most flood affected suburbs. Severe damage was experienced in both the 1974 Brisbane flood and 2010?2011 Queensland floods. Flooding in Rocklea is particularly harmful to the coastal ecosystem because of the oil and other toxic chemicals which are washed downstream.[9] The effect of flooding on the Brisbane Markets was minor in 1974 but since then the site has grown five times and in 2011 35 buildings were inundated.[7]

After the 2011 flood, home and land values in the suburb decreased dramatically. The median house price decreased by 23.9%.

Hi JohnHenry,

The book is full of things to look for when selecting a suburb that has potential

Ie: population size, money that is being spent on the area, types of industries in the area, etc.

Same as what a lot of experianced people here look for

She owns property in Armadale WA, Logan, Elizabeth, Hackham West. She looks for decent yields aswell as potential long term growth.

Yardney buys close to the city in Melb, Sydney and Bris.

Terry Ryder throws a dart at a map of Australia for his next picks.

As far as who has the best portfolio.

1. Yardney
2. Lomas
3. Ryder

Have they listed their personal portfolios?

Thanks very much Coota9. Where'd you get that list from?

JohnHenry, Margarets 20 questions are on this link:

http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/...uy-an-investment-property-margaret-lomas.html

Hi JohnHenry,

The book is full of things to look for when selecting a suburb that has potential

Ie: population size, money that is being spent on the area, types of industries in the area, etc.

Same as what a lot of experianced people here look for

Cool, many thanks for the useful insight guys.

I really apprecaite your postings which makes us all more informed & smarter when selecting IP.

Cycle agnostic ?

Interesting to note Coota's list has a number of Melbourne and Sydney recommendations despite those markets being quite hot.

She also doesn't seem to be touting some areas from the past like Seaford which may suggest she's not trying to continue to put upward pressure on areas she'd already invested in.

In any event - she seems to want to help people avoid getting in bed with property sharks - as notable from her involvement in various property governance bodies around the country and agitation for adequate government regulation.

Not sure of her current portfolio, but maybe 4-5 years ago I remember reading somewhere she had about 35? So certainly has some runs on the board

I personally respect her opinion over most of the other well know property advisors, she provides plenty of advice and guidance which is readily available . No one has a crystal ball but her general approach can be tweaked for ones own personal circumstances IMO.

SA
Salisbury
Woodcroft
Ottoway
Aldinga Beach
Modbury
Golden Grove

Modbury is where I'm located for work. Have been extremely busy last 12 months personally. I believe the market has moved well and will continue to, this is from both my observations of the market and my clients. I would say like for like properties over 12 month period would be close to 10% more now. This applies to both Modbury areas and Ingle Farm (which I've been very open that I like).

You now struggle to find a decent 3 bedroom 1 bath on 600sqm+ block for <$300k.
Modbury used to find a reasonable amount around the $300-330k, now it's more $330-360k
Ingle Farm used to find a reasonable amount around the $270-300K, now it's more $300-330K

Client looked at a property in Ingle Farm that was up for Auction, but was accepting offers prior. Advertised price was ~$265k from memory (12-24 months ago this would of been around the mark as a fair price for house in this condition) my clients offer ~$295k they were advised there was ~20 offers on the property and theirs was 6th in the queue. Property sold prior to auction (price isn't disclosed yet). Property address 5 Malbaru Avenue Ingle Farm, SA, 5098

I believe both area's will continue with good growth. They are reasonable close to CBD 15km. Have reasonable schools, hositpal, shopping centres, sports facilites. Really they tick a lot of boxes for Owner Occupied & Investors. Added bonus that most blocks are >600sqm that can be and will be developed in the next 5 years.

Looking at the others on the list.

Ottyway - to improve from the South Rd extension.

Woodcroft & Aldinga Beach - to improve from expressway duplication

(hrmmm see what Margaret is doing here ;))

Salisbury & Golden Grove - similar to Modbury & Ingle Farm, close to large shops, schools, transport etc. Common theme

Salisbury, Ingle Farm, Modbury & Golden Grove all suburbs in the North East all with similar attributes. Think all will do reasonably well. I've listed them in order of price level.

Choice of woodcroft is interesting to me, it's already pretty expensive compared to surrounding suburbs and there is still plenty of land on sale in the new developments. But im no property expert.

Salisbury, Ingle Farm, Modbury & Golden Grove all suburbs in the North East all with similar attributes. Think all will do reasonably well. I've listed them in order of price level.

Wouldn't call Salisbury 'North East', but all of those mentioned present pretty good opportunities none the less.

All,

Just to clarify these are Margaret's recommendations in her recent seminars she conducted around the country..

Cheers
Coota

Rocklea looked promising until wikipedia returned this:

Rocklea is one of Brisbane's most flood affected suburbs. Severe damage was experienced in both the 1974 Brisbane flood and 2010?2011 Queensland floods. Flooding in Rocklea is particularly harmful to the coastal ecosystem because of the oil and other toxic chemicals which are washed downstream.[9] The effect of flooding on the Brisbane Markets was minor in 1974 but since then the site has grown five times and in 2011 35 buildings were inundated.[7]

After the 2011 flood, home and land values in the suburb decreased dramatically. The median house price decreased by 23.9%.

This was the first thing I thought of too...

35 properties out of how many ??

ta

rolf

I'm not sure if that was a reference to 35 buildings in the markets. I know personally of 3 residential houses that were inundated.- that is people who lived there. Many more than 35 went under in the suburb I expect and I know clients in the markets lost money from the floods.

I'm not sure if that was a reference to 35 buildings in the markets. I know personally of 3 residential houses that were inundated.- that is people who lived there. Many more than 35 went under in the suburb I expect and I know clients in the markets lost money from the floods.

My points are

1. Commercial props typically are in diff areas than resi, esp where council may allow for eg a van park or a produce market, than standard resi.... diff standards apply.

2. Its unreasonable to rely on generalist data for specific investment outcomes

3. Properties that may be mapped as flood affected will rarely be, so dont write off a property because of poor data, make specfic enquiries

and a wiki is generally not a reliable source of evidence?

ta

rolf

Back