Whats the chance of being audited for FHOG?

I have a friend that is a bit worried (always a worrier!) that he might have a chance of getting audited for the FHOG eligibility. During the 6 month compulsory residential period he only used very little electricity (about $60 per quarter) since he works long hours, eats out, stays at girlfriends place etc. He changed his address with the RTA at the time. What is the chance he is audited and will have problems proving his residence?

Do they take a random sample each year?

How many people here that have received the FHOG have been audited?

Last edited:
If he is worried, he just needs to keep evidence of his residency. This includes electoral roll information, any mail addressed to that address, bills in his name, licence address details etc etc. Having not used much power wont be an issue, having the power in someone else name will be.

Just the first year, or the six months he has to live in the property. If he hasnt kept them, perhaps he can go back and request copies from providers etc.
As to your question, I dont know how many audits are done, but they would generally be triggered by another government agency holding inconsistant records, like the electoral commission, or centrelink, or the ATO (the audits are done my the SRO), so as long as he didnt have anything inconsistant going on with these other bodies during that time, he shouldnt expect to be audited.

All he has to do is keep all his electricity bills.

As this was his genuine usage, no doubt low usage will continue, which will support his claim fully if he draws the short straw and is audited.
Marg

I think they routinely ask you to send in evidence after 12 months. I got a letter and had to send copies of phone, power or gas bills. In the end sent them an australia post change of address form and a power bill since I didn't have gas or a land line.

Cheers
Pulse

I bought my first place in 2000 and I was audited around 12 months later. A guy claiming he was from Integral Energy and checking that he had the right customer details on the system. Then he asked me how long I'd been living at that address and then I just asked him if he was checking up on me for the fhog and he came clean.

I know a few people who rorted the system and were never found out.

I bought my first place in 2000 and I was audited around 12 months later. A guy claiming he was from Integral Energy and checking that he had the right customer details on the system. Then he asked me how long I'd been living at that address and then I just asked him if he was checking up on me for the fhog and he came clean.

I know a few people who rorted the system and were never found out.

surely he would have been breaking some law there???:rolleyes:

Boods

Back