whats the difference between everyone and everybody?

Can anyone explain the difference between using the words "everyone" and "everybody"?
I think they are 100% interchangeable and its just a US vs UK thing?

No difference - just the english language.

Having an interesting time with 9yr old reading aloud the next reading level up ... she stops to ask what a word means, so I explain using a simpler word, and she then wants to know why they don't just use the simpler word.

'cause that's the english language.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain the difference between using the words "everyone" and "everybody"?

The number of syllables are different and they are not interchangeable. :D

Can you imagine if Vanessa Amarosi had to sing "Absolutely Everyone" instead of "Absolutely Everybody"?

The Y-man

No difference - just the english language.

Hmm not sure about that but i'll take your word for it.
I think Y-Man might be onto something with the 3 vs 4 syllable thing and song writers made it up.

My Swedish mate speaks pretty good English but keeps asking me these questions. Another couple he asked is what's the difference between a bracelet and a bangle and why does there have to be an i before e except after c :(

My Swedish mate speaks pretty good English but keeps asking me these questions. Another couple he asked is what's the difference between a bracelet and a bangle and why does there have to be an i before e except after c :(

A bangle is usually a hard circular shape whilst a bracelet can be flexible.

And the i before e except after c rule is no rule at all!

their
weird
science
sufficient
and many more...

According to this site - http://www.drgrammar.org/frequently-asked-questions
Everybody and everyone are interchangeable.
Anyone and anybody are also interchangeable.

"What's wrong with saying, Are everybody happy? After all, when you use the word everybody, you're thinking of a crowd, right? Then why do we say, Is everybody happy? In other words, just how many people do we mean when we say everybody or everyone?

The answer is one. Odd as it may seem, these pronouns are singular. We often use them when talking about whole gangs of people, but we treat them grammatically as individual gang members. The result is that each takes a singular verb: Everybody loves a lover, but not everybody is one"

From this site - http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/indefinite-pronouns.aspx
They both mean “every person,” so use whichever one sounds best in your particular sentence.

“Is everyone one word or two?” Everyone can be two words or one word, but nine times out of ten it's one word. When you use it to mean the same thing as “all people,” then it’s one word.

Although I'll focus on the words everyone and everybody, the same rules apply to the words no one, nobody, anyone, anybody, someone, and somebody. Grammarians actually agree that the words everyone and everybody are singular.
e.g.
Everyone loves Squiggly. (This is right because everyone is singular and paired with a singular verb, loves.)
Everyone are happy. (This is wrong because it's pairing the singular noun everyone with a plural verb, are.)

There's a whole lot more at this site on the subject.

This is the answer on wiki to a similar question, so maybe the same principle applies:

Use 'anyone' when you are suggesting a person in a known group, as in, "Has anyone in this room been hunting lately?"

And use 'anybody' when you are unaware of the group, as in "Has anybody ever gone thirty days without food and lived?"

A bangle is usually a hard circular shape whilst a bracelet can be flexible.

And the i before e except after c rule is no rule at all!

their
weird
science
sufficient
and many more...

‘I’ before ‘E’ except when there’s a feisty heist on weird beige foreign neighbours reinventing protein at their leisure.

Does that mean "Everyone of those animals is a man killer" is wrong since its not a person but a animal. I would say it Every one but just curious.

Bangle is solid round type object worn around wrist

Bracelet linked chain but mainly flexible and worn around wrist

My FIL is Croatian, and his language is largely phonetic.

His English is pretty good, but there was a time when he spoke almost none, so he knows first-hand the difficulties in learning our language.

He and I often have a laugh about the idiotic variations...

Choose, lose, booze, cruise, Jews, news, shoes, hues, do's, for eg.

‘I’ before ‘E’ except when there’s a feisty heist on weird beige foreign neighbours reinventing protein at their leisure.

A way to make the 'i before e' rule more applicable is to extend it to 'i before e except after c, with the sound of ee'.
Still has protein as an exception though... :rolleyes:

everybody - pronoun -meaning every person

everyone - pronoun -Meaning every person; everybody

Morphologically
every - determiner - meaning each
one - determiner - meaning single unit or individual, person or thing

or

every - determiner - meaning each
body - noun - meaning physical structure
However, colloquially it can mean person. Or collectively a group of persons

For me everyone is more formal and powerful - particularly if used in a speech or in a situation where persuading the audience to your point of view is paramount.

Back