Whats the going rate for a handyman?

Hrly Rates

I currently manage a property maintenance service which is predominantly provided by mature age, experienced, skilled tradespersons. We do not operate in Canberra but if we did and you engaged our services we would charge a minimum of $40/hr for this type of work. Rate is higher because you are paying for police checked, quality checked individuals, and the work is guaranteed.

You could select from a local directory of tradies and hope for a good one. Most who advertise their services will charge around $30/hr and if you do not do your homework you risk poor quality or poor service or both. It's ok to ask for examples of where they have performed this sort of work previously and talk to their previous customers. Any tradie or handyman who can't provide you with this is not worth engaging.

If I was to engage a teenager with minimum experience I would not be looking to pay any more than $25/hr and would be concerned about quality and possible dangers, particularly working with hazardous materials.

Hi Everyone,

I run a Hire A Hubby business in Brisbane, and am sick of the attitude of people like Minx. I have had to repair properties that have been built by these so called professionals and their work can be shonky as the rest of them. All you need to do is watch A Current Affair.

To run my business I have to be fully insured, police checked and undergo ongoing training. My work is 100% guaranteed and I pride myself on the quality of my work and would not accept anything less than I would pay for myself.

I have the same costs as any trades person with insurances, excellent quality tools which I need to cover all jobs Tiling, Carpentry, Plastering etc:, I do exactly as I say I will and most of all "I turn up" when I say I will. When I quote for a job I detail exactly what the work will entail and what I quote is what you pay if I calculated wrong I cop the loss! I am not to proud to ensure when I am finshed I will clean up the mess that I make.

I do not treat my customers as stupid because they don't understand what is entailed and I treat them with the courtesy they deserve.

Have you ever tried to get a chippy out to build a dog kennel or plasterer out to repair a hole in the plaster that your kids did so you can get it done before your next rental inspection.

Yes there are shonky handmen out there they are the ones charging $25 - $35 per hour! Yes I charge more than that and I sleep well at night knowing I charge a fair price for quality work. Minx you said your other half runs a mile due to a crappy job? This customer has a need and obviously has been ripped off and you are right a chippy would run a mile but I don't and charge accordingly, if I don't do it who will if a trades person runs a mile?

Can I build a house no I am not qualified and for those jobs I am not qualified to do I arrange somone who is and I give my customer 1 bill for all the work done.

So please before you start bagging Handymen think where they fit in! When somone vacates your rental property and has trashed the walls, smashed some tiles and graffetti on the walls is your other half going to fix it? And by the way some Handymen are ex builders or tilers and just adding other strings to their bow!

I love my job and I am proud of what I do and yes I charge accordingly!!!

Kevin

Hi Everyone,

I run a Hire A Hubby business in Brisbane, and am sick of the attitude of people like Minx. I have had to repair properties that have been built by these so called professionals and their work can be shonky as the rest of them. All you need to do is watch A Current Affair.

To run my business I have to be fully insured, police checked and undergo ongoing training. My work is 100% guaranteed and I pride myself on the quality of my work and would not accept anything less than I would pay for myself.

I have the same costs as any trades person with insurances, excellent quality tools which I need to cover all jobs Tiling, Carpentry, Plastering etc:, I do exactly as I say I will and most of all "I turn up" when I say I will. When I quote for a job I detail exactly what the work will entail and what I quote is what you pay if I calculated wrong I cop the loss! I am not to proud to ensure when I am finshed I will clean up the mess that I make.

I do not treat my customers as stupid because they don't understand what is entailed and I treat them with the courtesy they deserve.

Have you ever tried to get a chippy out to build a dog kennel or plasterer out to repair a hole in the plaster that your kids did so you can get it done before your next rental inspection.

Yes there are shonky handmen out there they are the ones charging $25 - $35 per hour! Yes I charge more than that and I sleep well at night knowing I charge a fair price for quality work. Minx you said your other half runs a mile due to a crappy job? This customer has a need and obviously has been ripped off and you are right a chippy would run a mile but I don't and charge accordingly, if I don't do it who will if a trades person runs a mile?

Can I build a house no I am not qualified and for those jobs I am not qualified to do I arrange somone who is and I give my customer 1 bill for all the work done.

So please before you start bagging Handymen think where they fit in! When somone vacates your rental property and has trashed the walls, smashed some tiles and graffetti on the walls is your other half going to fix it? And by the way some Handymen are ex builders or tilers and just adding other strings to their bow!

I love my job and I am proud of what I do and yes I charge accordingly!!!

Kevin

Hi Kevin,
I started out 25 years ago as a house doctor so have a knowledge of most facets of building,
Multi talented people are hard to get,

If you could specialize in one trade (For example me a qualified,licenced painter) and then add this multiskill when you do a large Queenslander for example,you will become a very sought after person who can charge accordingly,and I mean big money.Booked out for six months ahead.

I find smaller jobs on hourly rate are not where the money is,only larger quoted jobs..I don't do fix ups on someone else s rental houses,so I am glad people like you are around to take up the slack.

I will tell you a little story that changed my life many years ago,(30 years)
I had to go to a house to quote (paint)a kitchen,I said to the man,$25 an hour,he said no that was to much money.
I then said $900 and he said yes,
Paint was under $100,
It took me 10 hours to paint it over two days,he was very happy to pay me the quoted amount. That was $80 an hour :confused:

Try it and get back to us :D

Hi Kevin,
I started out 25 years ago as a house doctor so have a knowledge of most facets of building,
Multi talented people are hard to get,

If you could specialize in one trade (For example me a qualified,licenced painter) and then add this multiskill when you do a large Queenslander for example,you will become a very sought after person who can charge accordingly,and I mean big money.Booked out for six months ahead.

I find smaller jobs on hourly rate are not where the money is,only larger quoted jobs..I don't do fix ups on someone else s rental houses,so I am glad people like you are around to take up the slack.

I will tell you a little story that changed my life many years ago,(30 years)
I had to go to a house to quote (paint)a kitchen,I said to the man,$25 an hour,he said no that was to much money.
I then said $900 and he said yes,
Paint was under $100,
It took me 10 hours to paint it over two days,he was very happy to pay me the quoted amount. That was $80 an hour :confused:

Try it and get back to us :D
Hi Pa1ter,

I agree this how I usually charge my work out, I do not work by an hourly rate I generally charge what the job is worth but I do still take into consideration how long it will take. If it take longer the customer wins and has paid a fair price. If I do it quicker the customer has still paid a fair price. The problem is some customers (Those that only consider price) think of how much the person is making rather that what is a fair price for the job. The good thing is these are customers I don't want anyway and usually get the quality according to what they pay for. They then ring me to get it right????

I run a business that I am proud of and do not rip my customers off I guess that is why I very busy with lot and lots of repeat customers. Some customers don't even ask me for a quote they just ask when I can do it and book the job. Remenber integrety is a 2 way street.

I work with quailfied trades people and they give me work (and I in return pass work on to them) that they don't want or can't do as they off doing what you really need a trades person for.

If you want quality work it comes at a cost, if you want a cheap job that is what you will get.

Hey Pa1nter if you get the time send me a PM and we will catch up always happy to talk to tradies!!

Back