Whats the weirdest/wackiest thing you have done during your investment journey??:)

OK so ill start it off. I used to (still do) listen to motivation/investment property cds whilst in the shower (chanting my lungs off mind you) and while sleeping at night for years. :D:D

haha love it Y man. Could have been worse though...imagine if that unit was bought in Gladstone lol at least I hope it wasn't..:eek:

I have another one. I once met a valuer on site and after a short while I realised he was gay....so lets just say a bit of flirting here and there didn't seem to hurt the figure he came back with! :D

p.s I am definitely a straight guy. :cool:

Bumping into applicants( finishing off minor maintenance work before open) who had applied the previous week, but we had rejected and they hadn't been notified yet.
Spent 30 minutes showing them around.. was rather awkward as they had the whole family along and were picking out rooms etc.

1. Loaded up the old Mazda Bravo ute with tools, then drove across the Nullabor on my own last year to renovate our IP in W.A.

Was away from home for 3 weeks.

2. And; went on hols to Coolangatta for a week a long time ago, and took three Jan Somers books to read while I was there.

3. I guess this counts - our first two IP's were signed on the same day, and both without "subject to finance" clauses.

Last edited:
I didn't do it but I though it was weird, I had an ex-tenant suggested to me as a friend by Facebook. No mutual friends and I have no idea how Facebook made the link.

3 international holidays in 8 weeks,
1. Planned holiday 2 weeks
2. near the end, best friend says he is going for a holiday and would I like to join, I said yes, back on a plane a week later after getting back
3. same friend decides to go on another holiday just another week later due to family issues, 2 other friends join him, I couldnt resist the chance for a mates trip

awesome times!!!!! except for good old credit card

I didn't do it but I though it was weird, I had an ex-tenant suggested to me as a friend by Facebook. No mutual friends and I have no idea how Facebook made the link.

I heard somewhere that the friend suggestions that are shown to you where you have no mutual friends are people who have Facebook stalked you. Not sure how true this is though.

I heard somewhere that the friend suggestions that are shown to you where you have no mutual friends are people who have Facebook stalked you. Not sure how true this is though.

That is a scary thought, tenants & ex-tenants stalking you on Facebook.

Spent years sweating in killer humidity to pay for my tenants to live happily in nice surroundings and without the aid of a fan.

" Bumping into applicants( finishing off minor maintenance work before open) who had applied the previous week, but we had rejected and they hadn't been notified yet.
Spent 30 minutes showing them around.. was rather awkward as they had the whole family along and were picking out rooms etc"

Ouch! Did you notify them on the spot? :D

" 3. I guess this counts - our first two IP's were signed on the same day, and both without "subject to finance" clauses"

My, my arent we confident! :D:eek:

"I didn't do it but I though it was weird, I had an ex-tenant suggested to me as a friend by Facebook. No mutual friends and I have no idea how Facebook made the link."

I've always believed its a bad idea to have a FB account. There can never truely be proper privacy there. Yes, yes i know many will disagree. :rolleyes:

" 3. I guess this counts - our first two IP's were signed on the same day, and both without "subject to finance" clauses"

My, my arent we confident! :D:eek:
Yes; not a smart thing to do...breaks an accepted rule of engagement.

But at the time, it was my strategy to secure a deal for a lower price in a hot market.

Calculated risk, you could say.

A long, long time ago, well before I knew how stupid it was.....Under severe financial pressure, on the verge of bankruptcy, bank had a profit & loss & said we could borrow X. Flew interstate & bought 3 properties. One sight unseen. All were significantly cf+.

Then there was this one: http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21718&highlight=nemisis

There's more, but that's a start.

Wow, that's a great story - thanks for sharing Skater. Good to go back in time and hear what Western Sydney was like when it wasn't hot!

A real eye opener.

A long, long time ago, well before I knew how stupid it was.....Under severe financial pressure, on the verge of bankruptcy, bank had a profit & loss & said we could borrow X. Flew interstate & bought 3 properties. One sight unseen. All were significantly cf+.

Then there was this one: http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21718&highlight=nemisis

There's more, but that's a start.

Hi Skater
A question, just had a quick read, OK, one of those little homes you purchased at $195K in Syd West, what would the value be today??? I am expecting close to double;)

Purchased 1st property @ Auction after only seeing it few days prior, purchase next 2 sight unseen and last purchase was made at 1st open :)

Back