Whats the weirdest/wackiest thing you have done during your investment journey??:)

Loaded ute with paint and tools then with misses, father in law and a German backpacker named Karl I found off gumtree. Drove 12 hours to Whyalla and spent 5 days rennovating.
Karl wanted to leave as soon as we got there but he worked out it wasn't easy getting home from there or cheap.... Anyway he pulled through in the end and managed to cobble together 50 metres of fencing (previous iron fence had blown over)

Or not as funny but a bit silly

Purchased a house of the public trustee in birkdale qld. Because it was the weekend when we were up there we couldn't inspect the house. We decided to buy it anyway as it was a 1400sqm block for 370k in a good suburb. The house ended up being an old fibro that the old bloke who lived there had just bricked around. He also had done an extension covering over their old porch/ balcony and had built the new wall using the iron railing as structural support...!
The power points were hard wired with extension leads - thrifty!

Anyway after owing that for 14 months and putting about 50k into it and a lot of our own time (about 10 flights to Brisbane) it's getting revalued on Thursday

I bet you the new redlands city plan coming out early next year renders all that hard work useless (higher density?) Would be a nice problem to have I guess

(Year 2012) One Sunday morning we went to Spud Shade to buy fruits and veggies. On the way back, we saw an Auction notice for a 3X1 property. We never attended any auction before so I was curious to attend that auction but wife was worried about F&V. We parked car under a tree and went to see Auction. There were about ten interested parties. We did not know the auction procedure; Agent asked us if we were interested. He asked to fill the form, we filled form. Auction started, only two parties were bidding. One party stopped at $290K. I thought, it was a good property and going cheap. We raised our hand, and that was it???..We bought it for $300K

When I got the keys for my PPOR after renting it out for 9 months, I went straight to the house.

Unlocked it, opened the door to a "beeeeeeeeeeeeep".

Realised the alarm was armed and I had no idea what the code was. Decided action was better than nothing, and typed in the postcode. No luck and set it off.

Ran to my car and grabbed my torch and leatherman, and tried to locate the alarm mains inside the house. Meanwhile a neighbour had come outside to see a bearded guy with a torch wandering around a house with the alarm going off.

Great way to meet my new neighbours.

Back